and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broken Ribs

So yeah. A real thread about broken / cracked ribs. I have 2 broken and one cracked rib. Details: #8, 9, 10 on my left side courtesy of a *perfect* knee by my instructor.

Tips? Tricks? Advice other than :google: ?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 8:03am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go see a doctor and get 'em bandaged. Did you get them when you opened the fridge door too keenly?

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 8:47am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to find some sort of exercise that doesn't put too much pressure on your ribs (power walking?), buy a new video game, and get ready for a frustrating couple of months.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 9:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing? I know I'm supposed to rest but my coach siad he's trained people injured like this before - you just go easier. Of ocurse he's old school thai and hates that we have to use shin pads and headgear and stuff.

Anyway, bandaging isn't part of the recommended treatment anymore. Bandaging tightly prevents you from breathing deeply. This can cause parts of your lower lung to deflate and collapse which can lead to infection or pneumonia. The current treatment is heavy pain killers so you can breathe normally (i'm on oxy) and rest.

I guess I already know what you're supposed to do, but I'm going to be liberal with my interpritation of that "rest" thing and go easy in class. I'll post some follow ups about how it's going. this will be a better thread about rib injuries than the guy worrying if he can get injured rolling.

How it happened - I took one hell of a knee to the ribs (I moved sideways and was fully extended when hit). I could tell right away that it hurt, but it wasn't like OMG gimme doctor! After three days of rest + ice + advil I knew the pain wasn't any better so I looked up how to tell if you have a busted rib.

Symptoms of busted rib:
    Pain is specific and sharp.
    Pain not getting better.
    Pain while breathing deep.
    While lying down push on your sternum: typically you'll feel pain and pressue where there's a break.

That's when I went to the doc and had the xrays.

Historical Reference for lurkers / searchers:

A rib fracture is a break in a rib. There may be one or more breaks. An injury, such as a blow to the chest or a fall, forces the broken rib inward. The jagged edges of the broken rib could cut or tear the lung. This could cause bleeding inside the chest or could cause one of the lungs to collapse. Rib fractures usually heal on their own in 3 to 6 weeks.

Instructions
    1. The most important part of treating a rib fracture is resting while it heals. Avoid strenuous activity.
    2. When the pain decreases, begin normal slow movements. Be careful to avoid bumping the injured rib.
    3. To help prevent pneumonia, take 10 deep breaths every hour while you are awake. Do this even when you wake up during the night.
    4. Bracing your ribs with your hands or a pillow while taking deep breaths or coughing can help lessen the pain.
    5. Take pain medications as ordered.
    6. Use heat to lessen pain or swelling. Heat brings blood to the injured area and helps it to heal faster.
    Use a heating pad (turned on low) or a hot water bottle. Do this for 15-20 minutes out of every hour as long as you need it. Do not sleep on the heating pad or hot water bottle. This can cause a bad burn.

When To Call The Doctor
    1. If you develop a fever greater than 101° F.
    2. You get a cold or develop a cough.
    3. You cough up thick or bloody sputum.

Seek Care Immediately If
    1. You have trouble breathing.
    2. You have nausea, vomiting, or abdominal (belly) pain.
    3. Your pain gets much worse and doesn’t get better after taking your pain medication.

Mayo Clinc : http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/broken-ribs/DS00939
    WebMD http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/F...Topic-Overview
    Last edited by PirateJon; 5/11/2007 9:04am at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 1:08pm

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a similar spot. I have a clavicle fracture that I've been nursing for two+ weeks. I didn't get any oxy though, only codeine. I don't know how well this will work for ribs, but I've been doing squats, lunges, calf presses, and stationary bike to keep in some kind of shape in the meantime.

I wouldn't train if I were you.. at least for a couple weeks. You can reinjure yourself with even a pretty benign movement (I felt a crack and sharp pain recently when doing something as simple as trying to lock my bike. I think that probably set me back a few days to a week). And since you're on oxy you're likely to go harder than you should be because the pain isn't all there to stop / warn you.

Then again I'm no doctor and of course YMMV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 1:11pm

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also know that even after the stated time, the bone isn't fully healed. The repair process starts by laying down bone in a quantity over quality manner, so even when the fracture is closed up, it's still a lot weaker than it should be. Only after 2-3 months has the scab-bone hardened to regular strength. So beware.

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 3:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Never come down with the flu right after some bastard breaks a coupla yer ribs. Every cough and every sneeze is a new dimension in pain.

I will never forget that.... ever.... very unpleasant

Posted On:
    5/12/2007 9:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was so high on oxy that i couldn't drive myself to class. This made me revaluate my decision to go. I am smarter than I look.

Also - turns out you should probably avoid NSAID's for anti-inflammitories while your bones heal. Although it hasn't been proven (1), their is some evidence that shows they can adversely effect bone regrowth (2) so I'm not taking them.

(1) http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/39/2/65
    (2) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par72.htm.

Weak

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 7:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PirateJon - some good advice here, as repeated, no point strapping/bandaging the injury.

I trained for 2 weeks with 3 broken ribs, not a good idea as the chest pains were sharp and intense, couldn't breathe properly and being thrown was HELL. I took 7 weeks off from MA but I continued my 5 cardio sessions a week. It hurt to run but I didn't want to lose any edge when I got back into training.

Worst thing is to catch a chest infection (I did as it was winter when i broke them).

7 months on, my ribs ache nearly constantly (if I stop training they're generally okay) and one is prone to dislocation. I guess I should have listened to the doctor's advice to stop exercising altogether but I would have gone mental just sitting around.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PJ, just rest, eat and sleep well dude. Take a few weeks of and let the @#$!% thing heal itself.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast