Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tien Shan Pai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin.74 - Excellent point about the inevitable variations of any style. What I understand to be the original style had 2 empty hand forms and the 2 man set. The relaxing and full body tension upon completion of the moves that characterizes Baji seems to have largely been perverted to posing with limited tension, or tension mainly in the arms and legs.

"It is Fake" - I should clarify. The original BaJi 2 man set involved full force strikes to the bodies of the participants.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 6:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lungjian

"It is Fake" - I should clarify. The original BaJi 2 man set involved full force strikes to the bodies of the participants.
    Cool. Again that is the original purpose of 2-Man sets.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/21/2007 11:52pm at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 7:54pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lungjian
    Ronin.74 - Excellent point about the inevitable variations of any style. What I understand to be the original style had 2 empty hand forms and the 2 man set. The relaxing and full body tension upon completion of the moves that characterizes Baji seems to have largely been perverted to posing with limited tension, or tension mainly in the arms and legs.

In my experience what your describing as the "original" is just an abbreviated curriculum. I train Huo style as it was handed down from Li Shu Wen > Huo Dian Ge > Huo Qing Yun > Yuan Qing Chun and An Tian Rong (my teacher)

In addition to the 2 empty hand forms and the 2 man set there are 4 sets of training techniques, an additional form (that is taught later) and 5 weapons.

My instructor has commented on meeting other Baji instructors that have come down from the Li Shu Wen lineage via other Masters, on how they did not have knowledge of any of the 4 training sets or additional form and maybe only knew 1 or 2 of the weapons.

Now it is possible some of these things were added after Li Shu Wen by his disciple Huo Dian Ge, but if they were my instructor has no knowledge of it, as far as he is concerned they have always been part of the system. I will ask him tomorrow for confirmation and try to find out when other portions of the curriculum were added, if they were added at all.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12