Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I just found out about this guy today, and decided to give him a peep here after the "Chinese Kickboxing Champion" and "Cage Fighting Champion" claims raised some red flags for me.

Has there been any progress verifying Ferriss' claims? Is now an appropriate time to email Ferriss himself for more information?

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 9:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am also curious what was the Bullshido verdict on Mr. Ferriss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 9:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal verdict is that I can't stand the guy and I hated the book. At least the San Da competition footage looks legit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2010 2:32pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by waxeater View Post
    My personal verdict is that I can't stand the guy and I hated the book. At least the San Da competition footage looks legit.
    That book is complete garbage. Thank god I chose to recycle it instead of donating it to local library...wouldn't want some one to waste their precious life on that damn book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love this guy. Been reading his blog awhile. He likes to word his achievements in the way that sounds most impressive, but I don't think he'd outright lie about anything. I don't think you'll find anything too sinister here. I like what he stands for, too: using science to make **** easier.

I never heard anything about him "cage fighting", the vibe I got was that he'd done some small scale kickboxing stuff. I don't think he's world class or anything. Just talk to him, he'll be cool about it.

While you're at it though, he claims a BA in Neuroscience and East Asian Studies, Princeton. Bet you $5 it checks out.
    Last edited by 02-6611-0142-1; 5/31/2010 12:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 5:11pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 02-6611-0142-1 View Post
    I love this guy. Been reading his blog awhile. He likes to word his achievements in the way that sounds most impressive, but I don't think he'd outright lie about anything. I don't think you'll find anything too sinister here. I like what he stands for, too: using science to make **** easier.

I never heard anything about him "cage fighting", the vibe I got was that he'd done some small scale kickboxing stuff. I don't think he's world class or anything. Just talk to him, he'll be cool about it.

While you're at it though, he claims a BA in Neuroscience and East Asian Studies, Princeton. Bet you $5 it checks out.
    He never claims he received BA in neuroscience and east asian studies from Princeton. That is a fact. As for cage fighter and blah blah claims. Google them and you'll see plenty.

Some of forum member are from princeton and one of them did meet him. He is just a guy looking to maximize how much money he can earn. Kudos to him for that. Aside, the book is total garbage.

Are you Tim Ferris?

Posted On:
    5/31/2010 7:53pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    He never claims he received BA in neuroscience and east asian studies from Princeton. That is a fact. As for cage fighter and blah blah claims. Google them and you'll see plenty.

Some of forum member are from princeton and one of them did meet him. He is just a guy looking to maximize how much money he can earn. Kudos to him for that. Aside, the book is total garbage.

Are you Tim Ferris?
    He's not Tim Ferris...if he were...well that would be more suited for another subsection forum (we train together, numbahs and I -- not Tim Ferris and I).

I think it might just be easier for the senior investigation guys just to email/call Mr Ferris and find out what's up.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 12:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From one of Ferris' blogs

I am a blue belt in BJJ under Dave (Camarillo) but a black belt (1st degree) in judo from the Kodokan in Japan

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/04/22/video-tim-ferriss-getting-thrown-on-his-head/

Posted On:
    7/31/2010 7:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Ferriss makes this claim on page 13 of his book The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich :

This book will teach you the precise principles I have used to become the following:

* No-Holds-Barred cage fighter, vanquisher of four world champions
    Amazon preview here:

Amazon.com: The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (9780307353139): Timothy Ferriss: Books

ISBN-13: 978-0307353139, published April 2007

A bold claim in my opinion.

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 4:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Beishaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I can shed some light on his National Chinese Kickboxing Champion claim. He mentions it in his book, and he is quite straight-forward about it - he said he wasn't much good at kickboxing and entered it on a dare.

His principles for winning are actually quite clever... study the rules very closely and find the loopholes. He did, and saw that you win if the other guy goes out of the 'ring'(off the stage, in this case) 3 times in a round, he loses. So, as he outweighed all his opponents (he was fighting people 3 weight classes below his real weight because he lost 28 pounds prior to weigh-in using dehydration methods and then rehydrated for the fights), he just charged into them and pushed them off the stage, and so won every bout by TKO. He didn't claim that it was because of his skill, but his brains.... (which is basically what his book is about).

I quite like his book, actually. He's not a total fraud, but basically he made his money and then set about looking for how to enjoy life - training in different martial arts full-time for short periods is one of the things he does. (Preferably in exotic locations where things are cheaper, getting other people to run his business). Whether or not his business is on the up and up is another question.
    graculus

My blog at: http://ichijoji.blogspot.com/
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456