Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jason David Frank, ex-Green Power Ranger: A legitimate Martial Artist?

Well, he's started a martial arts school and has apparently started his own style, "Toso Kune Do," and has Flash-based website that's pretty heavy on the flashiness:

http://www.risingsunkarate.com/default.html

It tries very hard to create an atmosphere of badass-osity, what with the menacing music constantly going except during the video, during which he breaks out the MTV rock:

http://www.risingsunkarate.com/videos.html

It's pretty hard to see in the midst of all of that slow motion exactly what separates Toso Kune Do from normal Tae Kwon Do or Karate, but I don't think the Green Ranger would lie to us. I did kinda hope to see everyone using Power Ranger suits instead of gis, though.

Lest you think that amidst his constant grimacing that he forgot how to have fun with the shorties, check this out:

http://www.risingsunkarate.com/bday.html

Yup, the dojo is available for kids' birthday parties!

The best part of the web site is that it's impossible to find an actual address for the dojo, so after you're done being impressed by all the slickness and want to sign up, you'll have no idea where it is. But if any of you happen to have seen the mysterious Rising Sun Karate Academy, you should check it out and give us the scoop on the power of Toso Kune Do!

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the guy is a FC Karate and MT champ. Which, is... you know... pretty legit and all.

They also offer programs in boxing, MT/KB and sub grappling in addition to a bunch of kiddie programs.

Wait... Why does this guy suck, again?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has a 6th degree black belt:

http://www.risingsunkarate.com/jason-frank.html

Who is Kyoshi Jason David Frank?

He is a 6th degree Black Belt
    He achieved his 6th degree black belt in 1998 Tom Rivers New Jersey under Master Rick Herbster , Also By Louis D. casamassa
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:40pm

Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At worst I'd call it a McDojo for the kiddie programs (3 yr. old class & an 11 year old 2nd degree black belt), but I'm not seeing anything that jumps out as bullshido.
    Last edited by bearich; 5/11/2007 8:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? He started last year, and his record is 2 and 0. Not bad, but two fights really don't make him the combat authority he makes himself out to be.

The grappling thing doesn't look bad, actually, but there's a lot of other red flags that make the place look like it sucks, like the "We are a black belt school" motto, the new "style" that combines fifteen other styles, as well as the crappy slo-mo-packed video.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ig, you're ragging on the corporate aspects of the school. Feel free to do so, but they obviously are a school that fights and competes. Heck, even on the non-fighting stuff they still compete! (Looks like XMA/forms type stuff.)

Call me crazy, but XMA looks pretty neat. If you can do that stuff, and then step in a ring and K somebody TFO, then that's pretty cool in my book.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 2:27pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel free to actually call something on this guy, but so far you haven't really.

Need I remind you that Omega's school has a kid's program?

If you want you can dig around and see if his qualifications and fight records are legit, but on the face of it it looks like a school that's running the stereotypical kids programs to pay the rent while training fighters for competition. McDojo? Maybe depending on the split. Bullshido? Not until you come up with something.

The fact he was the Green Power Ranger means bollocks all (actually it's a plus as the Green Ranger was easily the coolest - he had a Godzilla robot and actually got around to shagging the Pink Ranger, unlike the entrenched in the closet Red Ranger).
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 5/10/2007 4:29pm at . Reason: NSFW links removed; They all went to LLL
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 2:34pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he trained for Muay Thai with some guy named Master Toddy. Maybe someone can look him up to see if he's legit?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The links to the Pink Power Ranger went here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54630

The Ultraman v. Power Rangers discussion went here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54628
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 5/10/2007 4:34pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys may be right. His web site is ridiculous and makes me think he's trying to put one over on people and the video fails to demonstrate anything worthwhile about his martial arts or martial arts instruction, but perhaps some of the courses at that school can teach someone something worthwhile.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast