Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 8:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fox
    the problem is , the vid is over 2 hrs long. Stick (chris) pm thad.
    TWO HOURS of Coda Scott doing MMA? For the love of all things holy and sacred someone PLEASE host this video!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 8:53am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the problem is , the vid is over 2 hrs long. Stick (chris) pm thad.

This should take priority over anything else

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 9:02am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, meant to post this last night, when I got in. But my Internet connection went down. So here goes:

I went there tonight with 2 guys from OKC, the only good thing that I saw was that Scott's breaking has improved some. He did one break that you could tell that the holder was helping him break it. and the boards were not wider than 8 inches. Scott was showing some people (all 6 of them) triple punches, high, center and low. Scott's high punch was above his head, his low blocks was too wide and his high blocks were to low. Basically I did not see much of a turn out. One person there heard my comments to hungry joe and started asking me questions about my school and might come and check it out.
    I was one of the two guys that went with Fox. So I finally got to see Scott, in all his glory
    :icon_roll:
    Okay, so me and hungryjoe carpool. We meet with Fox at his Martial Arts school. And after his last class, we all head over to the gig. We actually get there about an hour after it starts (about 8 PM). When we get there, we see another guy demonstrating some grappling techniques. During which, he states that he holds no belt in grappling. He was a wrestler through Jr. High and High School, and learned Ju-Jitsu techniques from books and videos. While I have nothing against augmenting training with books/DVDs/etc., I don't believe one can learn any MA SOLELY from books. But that's something I might leave for the more experienced guys to go into detail about.

Next, we get to the breaking. Coda Scott and two other BBs. All of what Fox said was true. Also... it took each of the three guys about 2-3 attempts on AVERAGE to break the boards. There was this one where Coda Scott was trying to break a board with a one-inch punch, or something similar to it. FIVE TIMES he tried, only to have his own board go FLYING across the studio! The sixth time, he finally broke it. And there was another of the BBs that did a running jump side kick over a sword held blade upwards (by Scott) to break a board. Took him about 3-4 tries to break it. The only break I was actually impressed with was done by a YELLOW belt, that Scott pulled from one of the kids dressed out for tonight. He broke a board first try, with a Thai kick no less. Incidentally, during the breaking, either Coda or one of the other BBs mentioned something about board breaking coming from training that the Okinawans/Japanese used to do to be able to punch through soldiers wearing wooden armor, before those guys started using metal. Now, I admit I'm no expert in breaking, since I've never trained at any school that did it. But that story doesn't sound right to me. If anyone who's more familiar with the history of it can clarify the validity of this, then we'd all appreciate it.

Okay, after this, Coda Scott leads the group (most of them apparently already students of his) in some sort of sample workout. He invites the audience members (he's looking at US) to participate as well. I'm reluctant at first, I admit. But then I decide, "Why not?" Might be a good idea to have one person from the group go out there and test this stuff out themself. Get an inside view. So I take off my shoes and unhook my PDA-style phone from my belt, and go out there. The others keep watching from the sidelines (and hopefully they'll comment on what they observed from that point of view), while I participate with the group.

So... he first leads us in stretching. Normal enough. Then afterwards, he has us get into a horse stance (horseSHIT stance ). And even *I* could see that most of the lower belts participating (purple, blue, red, etc.)... had better horse stances than Scott did. Mine wasn't perfect, I'm sure. But at least I have the excuse of not having done that style of training in years, and being used to using more eclectic footwork, such as boxing and Muay Thai. Coda Scott is a NIdan in Ke?po (more on that later), and his was crap! So then we do some punching from the horse stance. One of which, which he had the "more advanced" guys do, was a triple punch: high-medium-low punch. What a JOKE! He was punching almost STRAIGHT UP! WTF!? You punch upward, even at the slightest of angles, and you lose a SIGNIFICANT amount of power. Oh sure, you may have no choice if the guy's taller than you. But you don't PRACTICE like that. And you SURE AS **** don't practice punches, even in the horse stance, tensed up the whole way through. You get almost ZERO speed from that way. And it does LITTLE to generate any power anyway. Boxers, kickboxers, Thai boxers, even Chunners agree that you keep your arm relaxed, snap it out, don't even close your fist until you are almost at your intended target. Plus you use your WHOLE BODY with the punch, not just fist and arm. Those horse stance punches had NONE of that.

We also do blocks from the horse stance. As Fox said, the high block was WAYYYY too low. He was practically touching his own forehead. And he had the meaty inside of his forearm exposed, to take the shot, rather than deflecting it with the bony side of it. Hellooooooo! Can someone say, "Internal bleeding!?" Not to mention that it WON'T STOP whatever strike the attacker's raining down on you. And then... the low block. THIS is where the fun begins. He had this one low block where you shift to the left or right, from the basic horse stance. Your other hand you chamber, while the low blocking hand comes down, to apparently block, and COMPLETELY CLEARS THE TORSO AND ENDS BEHIND YOU!!! Okay, if you're gonna do this, you may as well wear a sign that says, "Body hook me. Oh, and then dance out of my reach, which should be easy as I'm in a deep horse stance and can't move my feet."

That's basically it. He then opens up questions from either the students or the audience. Only one person asks a question: me. I ask, "So... do you teach your student to FIGHT from this stance?" He kinda stutters a bit (though trying NOT to appear as such), and then says to me, "Good question. Let's get back into the horse stance." So we do. And then he explains that some people (and he points to another instructor that he works with - Fox probably knows him better than I do) and says that this person WILL teach you to fight in a horse stance. But that he teaches the horse stance as a leg-strengthening exercise. Which seems to be a normal answer (the deep horse stance WILL strengthen the legs).

But then, right after that... "Class dismissed!" And then Scott basically says that we all need to go (he says this to everybody, not just us). And the time is 8:50 PM. And if you read at the beginning of this thread, the event was scheduled for 7-10 PM! As soon as he says this, he then basically gets behind a group of his students and acts like he's talking to them. Let's just say that at this point... he's not too awfully accessible to me, hungryjoe, OR Fox. Gee, wonder why? LOL Could it be for the same reason that we were all "dismissed" a whole hour and ten minutes BEFORE the event was scheduled to end?

After that, not too much happened. Talked a little bit with some of the other people there, and then we went and got a bite to eat and talked about what we saw. One thing worth mentioning is that before I left, I got a glimpse of the certificates laying on the front table. They weren't ALL Coda Scott's, but several were. The one that caught my eye was his 2nd Dan certificate in Ke?po. Now, I may be mistaken, but before this little shin-dig (but after the panel review), wasn't Coda Scott claiming to be a 1st Dan in the style? He got promoted rather quickly between then and now, it seems. Also, all of the certificates seem to have been in the same condition: hot off the press! Which in it's own small way should be a tip-off that something ain't right about Mr. Scott.

Well, sorry this is so long, but I knew you guys would be anxious. And I just wanted to present my experience on the whole thing, while it was still fresh in my head, and while I'm still awake LOL. In addition to the comedy, I also enjoyed meeting some of the guys from here. It was an awesome time, and I feel VERY fortunate to have gotten to be a part of this. So... thanks to Fox and hungryjoe for letting me tag along. And special thanks to Mr. Fox for allowing hungryjoe and I to take part in his class earlier tonight, before the event. That was also a great experience (but probably a subject for another thread).

Any other questions about my part in this little shin dig, just ask. Peace...

Josh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 9:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adon4Ever: Very entertaining right up! I thought Coda was supposed to be doing MMA now though? Does he have any plans of offering an MMA curriculum?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arrived home last night around 11PM after watching world class kempo and others.

Thought I'd get some sleep.

Heard a mild rumbling sound - thought it was raining.

Sounds like it's coming from below.

We don't experience many earthquakes here in Oklahoma.

MUST BE ED PARKER ROLLING IN HIS GRAVE!!!!

More to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	codascott.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	7930  

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fox - thanks for taking us in and letting two complete unknowns participate in your class. I particularly enjoyed the cane work - took me back to Hapkido days.

Your class is taught in a truly direct, no nonsense, self defense style.

Adon - man, you made the drive go by much faster than traveling alone. Truly enjoyed meeting you and the good discussions there and back.

I saw no kempo from Coda - only some really poor TKD type described before by Adon.

You never heard a human make so much noise just walking across a hardwood floor. Kinda like a water buffalo with mad cow disease.

The other demonstrators were civil - even though they had to know why we were there.

In all honesty, the red and brown belts had much better skills than the deadly Codamaster.

Sorry - no photos or video - if you can read the earlier thumbnail, you'll see they were forbidden (Fox's batteries were impounded until after the demo).

But - if you arrive tonight - you can get 3 free lessons!!!! - only good from 30 May until 1 June. Better HURRYYYYYYY.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read the flyer for the demo and I was there for the first 45 min of it, I thought coda was a Karate man. If I remember right he said he was part of Kenny’s karate aka (the wild bunch) I also remember coda was taking and/or teaching the wild bunch class on campus…anyways why does he not mention his karate skills any more?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 2:29pm

Style: American Karate,TSD,KFSS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok now tell me who you really are ok kid? Miller is with scott and hull now so you can come clean.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 4:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fox...

So your friend left you to join coda.... mmmm what does that say about U???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 4:19pm

Style: American Karate,TSD,KFSS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He could not pay the rent, he promised. So he went looking for somewhere else to get students...So now tell me who u are!
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast