Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 4:14pm

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    Some top-notch gyms may enact practices that can drift more towards "McDojo-ish". That doesn't make them bad or illegitimate.

Hope that contributes to answers to questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley

But if the "Masters Program" for $349 a month means you get an extra patch, techniques that ought to be part of the standard curriculum and an occasional $50 seminar "complementary," well, its a crappy deal. I don't care what you call it (see above), I'm just not kicking out the cash for it.

So the question remains, what do you get with the "Masters Program"? Once again, asking "are black belt clubs bad practice or frowned upon in BJJ and Muay Thai" doesn't help, unles you define what the real program is. Because there is no standard definition of "Masters Program" no on can get on the same page with you.
    These are reasoned well thought out answers and what I was looking for. It seems to me that you are saying that these practices are not necesarily bad in and of themselves as long as there is plenty of bang for the buck. Incidentally that mirrors my own thoughts on the practice but I can see where it could be a fine line to tread between being perceived as greedy and wanting to have the best possible school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    no one wants to inadvertently bad mouth a program they don't know enough about .
    I agree which is my reason for not naming the school. Sorry if that was a problem for some of you.

-------
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    This is what he doesn't want to answer. This has been asked on multiple occasions. If you can say a school can whip 99% of the bullshido posters, some possible negative comments shouldn't worry you.
    As for you you non-reading mental midget, Fill your pockets with rocks and walk East until your fucking hat floats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chingy and Helmsley, thanks again for your responses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 4:40pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're welcome.

I know this is probably going to get me assualted for breaking the spirit of a proudly tough board, but there is an awful lot of anger over communication barriers.

To quote perhaps the most beating stick resilient man in the history of the world -

Can't we all just get along - Rodney King, 10th Degree Black Belt in Beat-Sensless-Do

lol

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidama
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It Fake
    Now, the part El Mach said is true 36 months is ridiculous.
    I don't see how I was being ridiculous.
    Dude, what the **** happened to your reading skills? He didn't say that you were ridiculous. He was saying that a 36-month contract is ridiculous... which it is.

No secret that I fail at the internet.......... however my first post was to establish that I wasn't being hypothetical - trying to be specific about this particular school was not my intent.
    You did not want to be specific about the school, yet you wanted to know if it was bullshido or mcdojo? We can tell it is mcdojo, but we cannot tell if it's bullshido.

I am fully aware that the first list of rates are in line with most schools. My question was never about that, it was about the Black Belt Club and tiered programs in a school that teaches a good proven system.
    It was answered a couple of times, specially after I mentioned the outrageousness of asking for a 36 month contract.

I was posting with the "standards" part of this forum title in mind and simply wanted to know how these practices are considered by the BJJ community on Bullshido if the training is considered outstanding, and by all accounts it is.
    So far the consensus is that it's a mcdojo, that the 36 month contract and the black belt clubs are very unusual (and frowned upon) not just in BJJ but I'd dare to say in competitive martial arts related one way or another to MMA, Kickboxing, BJJ and/or Judo.

The consensus also is that we cannot tell if it is bullshido or not without knowing the specifics of the school. People asked for specifics several times, making it quite clear they needed those specifics to give some sort of an educated opinion.

BTW- 5 people is hardly a community.
    Certainly more than a community of 1.

I keep looking at the thread, and I still cannot see why you have to say this highlighted below (nothing IIF said warranted that):

This is what he doesn't want to answer. This has been asked on multiple occasions. If you can say a school can whip 99% of the bullshido posters, some possible negative comments shouldn't worry you.
    As for you you non-reading mental midget, Fill your pockets with rocks and walk East until your fucking hat floats.
    Before you go off insulting people and telling the how thick they are, you should really take a look at the posts... and in particular, learn how to read before pushing your own angry button

Quote Originally Posted by Is It Fake
    Now, the part El Mach said is true 36 months is ridiculous.
    I don't see how I was being ridiculous.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair El I did call him ridiculous earlier.

I'll outline why later.

Actually no, I won't. You can see by the responses he ignored why I said he was being ridiculous.

Everything was answered by others before chingy or JH posted the responses he thanked.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/11/2007 5:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Dude, what the **** happened to your reading skills? He didn't say that you were ridiculous. He was saying that a 36-month contract is ridiculous... which it is.
    Um.. actually he did. No offense but use your reading skills below

Like FFF I'm out. You are being ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    You did not want to be specific about the school, yet you wanted to know if it was bullshido or mcdojo? We can tell it is mcdojo, but we cannot tell if it's bullshido.

It was answered a couple of times, specially after I mentioned the outrageousness of asking for a 36 month contract.

So far the consensus is that it's a mcdojo, that the 36 month contract and the black belt clubs are very unusual (and frowned upon) not just in BJJ but I'd dare to say in competitive martial arts related one way or another to MMA, Kickboxing, BJJ and/or Judo.

The consensus also is that we cannot tell if it is bullshido or not without knowing the specifics of the school. People asked for specifics several times, making it quite clear they needed those specifics to give some sort of an educated opinion.

Certainly more than a community of 1.
    Look I've lurked this site since it first changed its name to bullshido. I generally respect your opinions on most things so I'm going to assume you jumped in here late.

Goddamn, at risk of being pounded for repeating myself yet again. I've have said that this school is not bullshido. If you want to pm me I'll give you the name. I never even called it McDojo -you and some others did. I was asking about the practice of tiering and the rates that were being charged. I even said that I know for a fact that the people training there (OF WHICH I AM NOT ONE) are happily paying that rate. (And yes I still stand by what I said about the instructor and his top students) Hell, I'm tired of reading this now, just read what I posted more carefully.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'll outline why later.
    You actually beat me to my reply. Macho is right though, I should control the angry button, I don't think ANY of the insults were really necessary, but this is Bullshido.

I didn't really want an argument,But please do tell....... I would appreciate you outlining exactly why I was being ridiculous, when others obviously understood what I was asking.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'll outline why later.
    Ah, ok. My bad... oh wait. **** that, I agree with you. I'll check the thread later. I'm off to work, get something for Mother's day (**** I hope I can find something) and get 18 hours of sleep or something. C'ya!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really think the problem here with IIF besides my obvious lack of communication skills is that there is a feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not looking to pull a "gotcha", and if I do may the mighty mods temp ban me.

I just had a question and thought this would be the place to explore it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2007 6:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really think the problem here with IIF besides my obvious lack of communication skills is that there is a feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not looking to pull a "gotcha", and if I do may the mighty mods temp ban me.

I just had a question and thought this would be the place to explore it.
    No temp ban no drama. You got your questioned answered right?

Then it is all good. This a small mater IMO.

Just so you understand in MABS people expect investigations. Serious discussion mainly means the investigated party. Yes, it isn't worded well but there you go.

Questions like these mainly go into YMAS. Why? As was evidence before people try to circumvent the process. We have had a few _ing _un threads under the premise of "serious discussion."

No other shoe to drop.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast