Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 8:29am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chinese Submission Wrestling?

The International Chinese Martial Arts Championship 2007 has added Submission Wrestling to it's repertoire. Any one here practice Chinese Submission wrestling? The ISKA title belt will be awarded for Submission Wrestling and San Shou this year.

They've added another san shou division this year too, but my school is not competing at this tournament this year, but I'll probably go as a spectator.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school was sending a crew to Florida for that (including me), but then we realized we were all poor. Chinese submission wrestling? We have some old photos from the 20s or 30s where some northern shaolin guys are doing some submission grappling type stuff: RNC, calf crush, arm bar, scarf hold etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 12:56pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm highly skeptical of that tournament in the first place, adding the Submission Wrestling to a CMA tournament just does not seem like a good fit... Should be fun to watch at least...

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 2:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of Chinese Wrestling, but not Chinese Submission Wrestling.

Shuai jiao have real subs?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff

yes they do, but for the most part they don't spend enough time on groundwork to make them work against a decent BJJ guy.

i suck at groundwork and the shuai jiao guys i train with are always catching me in weird joint locks and neck cranks. they both do some crosstraining in judo and bjj as well though.

i would say that anyone who is good at shuai jiao wouldn't have much trouble becoming a good ground fighter by regularly rolling with bjj or sambo people.

i wish this tournament was closer to me, i'd like to take some people.

maybe next year.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paging Matt Furey...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school has actually done well historically at that tournament, but mostly in forms divisions.

:)

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know if any small circle joint lock stuff will be allowed? Finger locks etc?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 11:50pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff

I think they just added "submission" in the middle. Yes, there are some joint locks in kung-fu styles that work well in a clinch or on the ground. Its not all "monkey bends the dragon's pinky" kind of thing. Not many people in CMA have the groundfighting components but there are some out there. I think you're going to see more of that popping up.

There is also the "what works standing up works on the ground" kind of thing. In my personal experience I find this to be true as long as the person knows groundfighting. ie you take a person with some kind of grappling background that learns CMA standup locks (or vice-versa). They will then be able to apply the chin-na on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 12:29am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is chin-na out there that is not done standing up as well. The whole "what works standing up works on the ground" argument isn't really taking everything into account. When you are on the ground you are much closer to the opponent and without having to use your legs to support you many things can be done with the legs to lock up an opponent. I should add that I realize these things are not trained a whole lot in any schools that we hear about much.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast