Thread: Combat Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combat Hapkido

I'm new here, and relatively new to combat hapkido. It's one of the only arts that has very few threads on this site (although there is some sad, but informitive, information on Master Pellegrini). Just curious what other people think about it. Like I said, I'm new, so maybe there's more to it, but the techniques we learn rarely seem to be practical in our alive training. Too many small hand and wrist manipulations to be really affective on someone that is resisting and trying to punch you in the head. The footsweeps and throws do seem pretty affective in our full contact sparring. This is leading me to believe judo, or judo and boxing if I have the time, will be more affective for me. I'm in a small, upstate new york town now and there's no judo clubs within reasonable driving distance, so I'll probably have to stick it out for another year when I plan on moving to NYC.

Just wanted to see if anyone else here takes combat hapkido, or if there's an obscure judo school in Otsego or Deleware county that I haven't been able to find via the internet.

OmegaBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, cooper_543! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Irony

Style
    Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't know anything about Combat Hapkido, but heres some links to a judo directory:
    http://www.hudsonjudo.org/ny.html
    http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/bro...ate=New%20York

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the info, unfortunately the one in Albany is the closest, and is still 75+ miles away. No stress though, I'm looking forward to taking judo, but I'm patient enough to keep playing with wrist locks for the next year.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good news. I couldn't find a close-by Judo school, but I did manage to find a BJJ/MMA school right in town, so I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice. I'll see how much I like this school, and that will determine whether or not I'll continue the bjj/mma in NYC, or take up judo when I get down there. Either way, I'm set for the time being.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_543
    I'm new here, and relatively new to combat hapkido. It's one of the only arts that has very few threads on this site (although there is some sad, but informitive, information on Master Pellegrini). Just curious what other people think about it. Like I said, I'm new, so maybe there's more to it, but the techniques we learn rarely seem to be practical in our alive training. Too many small hand and wrist manipulations to be really affective on someone that is resisting and trying to punch you in the head. The footsweeps and throws do seem pretty affective in our full contact sparring. This is leading me to believe judo, or judo and boxing if I have the time, will be more affective for me. I'm in a small, upstate new york town now and there's no judo clubs within reasonable driving distance, so I'll probably have to stick it out for another year when I plan on moving to NYC.

Just wanted to see if anyone else here takes combat hapkido, or if there's an obscure judo school in Otsego or Deleware county that I haven't been able to find via the internet.
    Hi Cooper, I'm new here as well.

I have experience with it from an old McDojo I attended back in the day.

Good observations on the improbability that this stuff will not apply to "Alive" training...your right, and that's been my experience with it as well. While the techniques look slick as hell to the untrained eye, they are fundamentally useless against anyone in an actual fight IMO.

The one thing about Pellegrini that reeks to me is how he sells blackbelts. Several McDojos in my area had gotten "black belts" in Combat Hapkido and proudly list it as an accomplishment in their credentials.

And you're definitely on the right track regarding pursuing Judo and/or boxing as an alternative. I'm not sure where your moving to in NY, but I know that where my GF lives (Long Island) Matt Serra has a great BJJ school there.
    Last edited by HongKongFukYu; 5/25/2007 11:37am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Oneonta, NY right now, but I'll be headed to NYC in another year for grad school, so I'll be able to do more or less whatever I want as far as schools go. The stuff I've heard about Pelligrini seems pretty shady, but the school near me didn't seem like a McDojo. I always ended up quitting TMA because I thought there was too much time spent on kata's. I started combat hapkido because they advertised "no forms," but instead of kata's we spent hours grabbing eachothers wrists.

Alot of the combat hapkido schools I've looked at on the internet do seem like McDojos though. Claims about defeating multiple attackers and not needing to be in good shape, etc, really turn me off to a school.

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roninmd View Post
    I'm 1st Dan black belt in Combat Hapkido. Yes it's is primarily defensive. It's useful for those professionals such as paramedics and police officers who have to gain compliance with their opponent rather then outright killing them. Legal things such as the proper use of force given a particular situation is a primary interest for the students in my dojang, most of whom are in Law Enforcement. Lower belts below black are taught simple techniques that gradually build on each other as the student progresses through belts. By the time you are 1st Dan you have enough knowledge of grappling technique and joint manipulation to do more complicated techniques that will be a part of your training in the senior belts.
    There are 2 difference between Combat Hapkido and Hapkido.
    1) One style places the word 'combat' before it's Hapkido, the other styles don't
    2) Combat Hapkidoka will not enter any tournement under the false pretence of self-defense training, some of the other styles (not all) will enter sport-ju jutsu tournements to test theit techniques.

This is from an ex-BB in 'normal' Hapkido who did sport ju jutsu tournements to test his level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Style
    xingyi