Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:19am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You're making several mistakes.
    Your movements are too big.
    You're not keeping proper control while moving.
    You're putting too much weight on the wrong side of the teeter totter.
    Agree on all points, and I'll definately have to work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Also, mount is NOT supposed to be a static position. You should be constantly moving to respond to your opponent. If they start to upa, move to a higher mount and get your posture. If they start to shrimp, grapevine. You should be moving while you're in mount, not lying there.
    You see that I did not know, makes a lot more sense, and I have to say I haven't really ever thought of mount position that way.

Thanks for your help.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people don't, it is something I've only heard my instructor (and by extension me when berating blues newer than me) explicitly talk about.

If in your judo classes you're doing newaza exclusive of tachiwaza, ask senior belts if you can start mounted on them.

Edit: Again, one of the best things you can do to help your mount is not to cling to it too much. If you're getting tossed, switch to side control, pop back to knee on stomach etc. If you're constantly moving between dominant positions your opponent is going to have a difficult time reversing you. There is a time for grinding down an opponent but you should still be able to respond to their movement prior to getting tossed.

:toothy10: I like this thread, because I feel like I can actually contribute. There are only two things I think I'm very good at: grinding the life out of people and escaping bad positions. Of course, because of those strengths I pretty much always pull guard to work weaker parts. Blech.
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 5/10/2007 9:12am at .

Antiquated

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 12:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to work on that tonight, things kind of open up now that I don't think of mount as static, or the best place to be, because I really do cling on to it for dear life when I get it.

Thanks man I appreciate the help, gonna work on that in newaza tonight.

Always good to have Bjjers around telling us Judokas how we **** up on the ground.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it is the best place to be. But you can always get back to it and being on your back is rarely a good place to be in a fight.

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 3:05pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UpaLumpa hits on some really nice points. Just camping out in mount on a larger opponent can be very difficult. If you want to hold a pin, side control/kesa might be a better option. Mount is an attacking position, obviously, and if you are taking mount you should be looking to attack, not just ride a pin.

With that being said, it really helped me to just practice riding mount to figure out how to balance, recover balance, and control the guy on bottom. Just partner up with someone, and practice mount escapes from bottom and maintaining the mount on top. Play around with grapevining, feet on hips, high mount, whatever. Once you've got that, practice attacks from mount, and have the guy on bottom attempt defense. It's a fairly worthwhile and simple drill for both parties.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12