Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2003 10:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been studying/teaching many filipino arts such as: Latosa Escrima, Sayok Kali, JKD Kali, Bakbakan Kali, Garimot Arnis, Black Eagle Arnis-Escrima, and Cabales Serrada Escrima. I was wondering what your thoughts on the filipino arts are.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2003 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they are a very effective. I study MORDERN ARNIS as taught by the late Remey Prasas

-----------------------
    To follow the SENSEI withthout question is like walking down the train tracks with eyes closed and earplugs....its gonna get you killed.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2003 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied Dumog martial arts for 2 years. Its almost like BJJ or more like greco-roman wrestling. Its effective mostly for 1on1 matches,since most of the attacks are based on lock and submission. i Give it a 8/10

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2003 10:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study sayoc Kali and escrima, I think they are very practical and effective. It seems they are less theoretical and romantisized than other strains of martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2003 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pekiti tersia kali here. One of my two favorite families of TMA, Indonesian being the other.

Posted On:
    8/27/2003 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont recal Bakbakan International EVER refering their art as "Bakabakan kali".
    Kalis Illustrisimo is more like it.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2003 11:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kalis Illustrisimo and Bakabakan kali are similar but not exactly the same. Kalis Illustrisimo is the parent art of Bakabakan Kali and while Kalis Illustrisimo and Bakabakan kali have very similar core techniques Bakabakan Kali has more prearranged froms, drills, and training methods than Kalis Illustrisimo. It also incorporates techniques and training from other filipino arts such as Sagasa Lameco Escrima, Sinawali, and Placido Yambao's espada y daga.

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting! You learn something everyday! Whats the history of Bakbakan Kali is it a a split group or was it developed by Illustrisimo's earlier students (whom dont belong to Bakabakan International)?
    Keep up the great posts!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2003 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Junfan, if as you stated in your intro post that Rick Faye, and MNkali Duluth have been the only places where you learned FMA, how can you claim training in Latosa Escrima, Sayok Kali,Bakbakan Kali, Garimot Arnis, Black Eagle Arnis-Escrima, and Cabales Serrada Escrima? MNkali Duluth/Rick Faye do not teach these styles. So how then did you receive this training?

As for Bakbakan go to their website, and under fighting arts there are explanations of what they do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/30/2003 1:41am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was waiting for you to come around Kuya. It sounded fishy to me, but I don't have the experience in our native arts that you do.

==================
    "Slow down and relax when you do the technique, it's not like you are going to beat me or anything." - Rener Gracie

Needless to say, I slowed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast