Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 6:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mayweather fan educates me on why boxing is harder than BJJ

This is copied from a sports forum. The thread was about the ODH/PBF fight, and of course, the old MMA vs. Boxing argument sprung up. Here, a young boxing fan who apparently is also well-versed in the art of BJJ points out the flaws in my logic.

I tried to make a rebuttal, but I didn't even know where to begin.

I have experience in both.........and no, grappling is not more complicated, nor harder in any aspect, than boxing.

In wrestling and BJJ, the worst thing thats usually going to happen is your going to get subbed, or slammed (which does hurt pretty bad). If you mess up, you lose the wrestling match or get tapped, and then you start over again. I know I was able to roll in BJJ for more than an hour of straight sparring, i definately know about the endurance and intricacies of the sport.

But boxing is different. If you get sloppy, you get punched in the face. If you are against somebody better than you, you get picked apart and punched everywhere. If you get tired, throw the wrong punch, move your head wrong, basically any mistake that your opponent capitalizes on, you get hit in the face or body (which hurts like a bitch by the way). And sparring 4 2 minute rounds in boxing is a bitch, whereas 8 minutes of BJJ is nothing (wrestling is a lot harder though, about the same/maybe more endurance than boxing).

And as far as being more or less complicated, BJJ is a set of moves that work, while slowly and methodically changing position, setting up moves, and then executing. It takes a lot of skill, and is obviously a very effective art (possibly the most effective single fighting style). But in boxing, you have to do the same thing except incredibly fast. Its called "the sweet science" for a reason, its a much more technical sport than just "throwing punches", landing a punch often takes a nice setup or counter, and you have to able to capitalize on SMALL openings really quickly, or its gone. I've trained both, and in my 100% honest opinion, BJJ doesn't compare to boxing in either technicality, skill or overall endurance because almost anybody can learn it as long as they go to class. Wrestling is physically just as hard as boxing, maybe more demanding in some ways (although they don't get hit like you do in boxing), and its a VERY technical sport, but I don't think it compares to the sweet science in terms of the technical aspect. In my opinion, none of the fighting sports do.
    Cliff notes: my martial art sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 6:41pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he is probably right

you dont do boxing (according to your style field), neither do i

this guy does both, he is in a better position to judge than we are

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshit :

Quote Originally Posted by Mayweather fan
    In wrestling and BJJ, the worst thing thats usually going to happen is your going to get subbed
    Is that the worst?

What happened to hyperextended joints? Fractures? Neck/spine injuries? Busted ACLs? The repetitive abuse of the joints that will eventually lead to things... bad things? True, those things don't happen often, but do happen. They are worse than getting "subbed".

Maybe that dude is right and boxing is "harder" than BJJ (define "harder".) However, that a sub is the worst thing that can happen in wrestling/wrappling, that's ignorant bullshit.

Just to make it clear, I'm not taking anything from boxing. I'm a boxing fan. But I'm like :icon_scra when it comes to that dude claiming a background in grappling.

-- EDIT --

Also, it makes no sense to discuss any style vs style with random people over the net. If you are going to, you may as well do it with someone who's background can be corroborated somehow. Maybe that dude is a phenom... or maybe he's just an armchair TV fan. Not having a degree of certaining in this person's background is reason enough to avoid a mental clusterfuck... I mean, argument.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/07/2007 6:56pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well he's mostly right.

You don't get punch drunk retarded from BJJ.

Boxing can fook you up worse than BJJ from just practising it.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ANY AND ALL standup is inherently more difficult. Rules which leave a fighter with no other choice than to punch mostly at the head of an extremely mobile opponent make it infinitely more so.

"Basic ground-fighting techniques build a fundamental understanding of dominant body position, which should be the focus of most combatives training before moving on to the more difficult standing techniques. Ground fighting is also where technique can most easily be used to overcome size and strength."
    -- MAC FM 2-25.150, Ch. III
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxing= punch them in the face untill they stop

bjj= bend their limbs the wrong way or choke them until they stop

boxing does 1 thing
    BJJ does 2 things
    therefore we must conclude that BJJ is twice as complicated as boxing

undeniable proof

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Conflating the separate issues of 'hardness' and 'technicality' does not help things. BJJ isn't nontechnical because you don't get punched in the head, it's just safer to practice.

As far as I can see no one has put forth any convincing arguments to show that boxing is more technical then bjj.

The points thus far seem to be "But they get hit in the head!" and "Why do you think it's called the 'sweet SCIENCE'?".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 8:07pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    boxing= punch them in the face untill they stop
    Um, no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what about judo, where you can get thrown, damn hard i might say,
    jointlocked, choked, pinned...

and along with that line of thought, can't you argue that the learning curve of boxing is less than bjj, since it makes sense to swing your arms to hit someone? (ignorant statement, i know, but just trying to play devil's advocate, correct me if i'm wrong).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 9:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meggaman7
    Um, no.
    /sigh lern2joke

basically one is a striking art
    one is a grappling art

its terribly hard to compare them when they have such a different focus.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast