Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 3:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ fighters are the best fighters in the world, due to the fact that a few top men are willing to do what it takes to win MMA. IMO There is very little doubt that they can still whip other MArtist even under no rules.

But it has nothing to do with the other BJJ students. Not everyone is commited to MMA. The students have been jumping on the bandwagon pushed forward by Gracies. If you take out the MMA fighters in BJJ, you might be left with a sports grappling group. It doesn't mean it is no good but....

For the years to come, It could become a sport just like TKD. The top fighters are still the fighters, the students are still the students.
    What do you guys think?(no disrepect to BJJ, but historically this is how alot of MA become sports, and one day becomes a McDojo)

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SSSSSHHHH Stop speaking the truth. Pple don't like it.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 8:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you r right John. But it depends on the instructors and the teachers what will hapen in the future. The fate of BJJ is in their hands.
    I have another example of a MA becoming sport.
    "After the creation of PANCRASE association, a Greek profesor who lived in the US desided to bring back to life the PANKRATION-the most dangerous MA of ancient Greece. His name was Aliferis. He was trained in MA in the US bjj,sambo,grapling. When he came in Greece he gathered a few MA teachers from KARATE, TKD, MuayThai, KickB and started to teach them Modern submision fighting. After some time the PANKRATION Association was created-It was almost the same as PANCRASE. This guy had lot's of conection and he made lot's of Event's in Greece to Promote PANKRATION, for example he brought Carlos Newton and other famous Fighters of MMA. But his student's one day dicided that they didn't need him and as a result they send him away... After that the new leadership Members of the PANKRATION federation created new rules with lots of restrictions. As a result the federation right now is devided and the tournament's are like @#%^%$^^. Now they say that PANKRATION is a sport and they try to promote it as a sport. The rules became similar to Sport jiujitsu-NOT SPORT BRAZILIAN-JIUJITSU there is a deference...Sport jiu-jitsu alows kicking and punching while standing...
    Anyway u get the picture.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 8:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. We've already begun to see a BJJ McDojo or two pop up in the last year or so.

BJJ is a damn good art, and for the longest time it was pure, but nothing lasts forever. As it spreads, of course the quality of instruction will be watered down. And like every other martial art, the onus is on the student to seek out a legitimate instructor with good credentials.

We're just trying to make that a bit easier for people by letting our members come to a consensus on who's the real deal, and who's garbage.

If you know of any BJJ McDojos, by all means, submit them to the McDojo Database (link at the top) for everyone to rate (1, McDojo, 10, Legit).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 9:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, I know what you mean.

just because the Gracies are mean bastards when it comes to fighting doesn't mean that all of us will be as good as they are. Most students have a Mcdojo attitude anyway.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I am not BJJ stylist, nor do I know a whole hell of a lot about the art, but since I like to put my $.01 into everything I will. :)

I agree that eventually you will see watered down version of BJJ. Let us just take for example the UFC. When it first came out, it was just brutal. Now look at it. The Gracies has turned out a lot of good fighters, are all GJJ fighters the best in the world? No, but there are a lot of them that I would never want to piss off. :)

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI Greco,

Pancrase was an EVENT!! NOT an ART. So things just basicly went into a cycle. PANCRASE was an Olympic event in Greece it may be back in the Oylmpics again.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  8. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/19/2002 12:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the thing to do is document your techniques .. we now have many ways to do that .. in the future people can go back to the footage, writing, etc and see the original stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2002 1:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Documenting techniques is minor. Principles and underlying theories are crucial.

Look at the situation with forms and katas. Just because every technique is documented, does not mean that future instructors and students will know what it's for, when it should be used (if it should be used at all), and why it exists.

Rather, it's the principles of motion, the how, why, and where of a system, that provides the best information and opportunity for refinement and understanding. Theories give insight of methodology, of reasoning behind the techniques. If there is an error, it can be corrected rather than propogated and multiplied through tradition. These things are worth more than all the documented techniques in the world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2002 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just started learnin BJJ andyes I agee I think BJJ will eventualy go sport, and as a sport it will still be good butnot as good. Just like TKD and Judo used to be awsome MA's but now TKD has so man mcdojos its not even funny and judo is all sport now.

"The night has come and all you lived for was in the day, but with understanding the night can be a powerfull alley"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast