Posted On:
    5/07/2007 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chidokwan?

Hello all,

I have an inquiry to make. About a year ago I started going to college, and while the experience overall has been positive, there is one part which remains a thorn in my side: the karate club on campus. I've previously trained in BJJ, Aiki Jiu Jitsu, Kyokushin Karate and I've dabbled in MMA, so I like to think I have at least some idea of what is valid and what isn't when it comes to MA. This karate club struck me as Bullshido very soon after I set foot in the training hall, but I don't really have a choice as there are no other martial arts clubs around here.

My question is if anyone else has heard anything about Chidokwan? It seems like nothing but crap to me, and so I want to see if anyone else has heard of it. I'll post a link to the website below.

http://www.chidokwankarate.com
    http://alpha.dickinson.edu/storg/kar...rachel_kata.rm
    Krotty lolz!!1!

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 2:46pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungjaevel
    Hello all,

I have an inquiry to make. About a year ago I started going to college, and while the experience overall has been positive, there is one part which remains a thorn in my side: the karate club on campus. I've previously trained in BJJ, Aiki Jiu Jitsu, Kyokushin Karate and I've dabbled in MMA, so I like to think I have at least some idea of what is valid and what isn't when it comes to MA. This karate club struck me as Bullshido very soon after I set foot in the training hall, but I don't really have a choice as there are no other martial arts clubs around here.

My question is if anyone else has heard anything about Chidokwan? It seems like nothing but crap to me, and so I want to see if anyone else has heard of it. I'll post a link to the website below.

http://www.chidokwankarate.com
    http://alpha.dickinson.edu/storg/kar...rachel_kata.rm
    Krotty lolz!!1!
    Based upon the "History of our style" it doesn't sound like crap -- at least not initially. It sounds like old-school traditional karate, lots of sparring, few kata, and some breaking. Early advancement was based entirely on how you did sparring.

However, it sounds like they also absorbed some TKD and slowly evolved (or devolved) into more sport-oriented training and fighting methods -- not uncommon for alot of karate, unfortunately.

I'm not sure I'd call it 'crap' or Bullshido -- but it could certainly be McDojo-ified and very diluted from its stronger roots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, when I read the history portion before joining I was kind of excited. I was looking forward to getting some more thorough instruction and practice at striking. I think what has happened in this case is the slow degeneration of this particular club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 3:44pm

Style: Judo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not certain wha you are saying is Bullshido here. Are the instructors lying about their rank or their acheivements? You may not agree with their idea of MA or their methodology, but they look like they're presenting such things honestly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 5:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin ryu, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kata the girl is doing is a shorin ryu kata, Kusanku Dai. Frankly, her technique is pretty good, and they've kept the stances intact, rather than changing them to the "Korean way", i.e. cat stance (neko washi dachi) to back stance.