Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 10:24am

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My beginners guide to arnis...

A while ago on the weapons forum under the main bullshido forums I made a post containing a copy of my document that I've written for 'beginning Arnis'. It was about 65% complete and generally well received; though it was interesting to see what differences in other styles lead to questions such as "why do you do it this way?".

Anyways here's the deal. I've "finished" the first full draft of it. I have no interest in hearing about my grammatical/spelling fallacies. I'm purely interested in a content review at this point. For those who are interested, please read the document I'm going to attach to this post and tell me what you think. Try to keep it intelligent too. I hate "zomg you said stick lollers" postwhoring crap.

Also when you give me a review can you tell me your style (if any) of a weapons art (Or if escrima, what particular brand/style) you are coming from so I can understand your perspective.

Beginners guide to Arnis_w6.doc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 4:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *crickets*

Maybe I should have put this in a more active forum :/

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 4:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not one mention of Dan Inosanto in the foreword? Damn, he should whup yo ass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mymFvnIWw8Y

edit: 41 pages? holy tl;dr. I skimmed it over. looks pretty good.
    Last edited by Neildo; 5/08/2007 4:11pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of skimmed it too, didn't really have time to finish (and there were no pictures to amuse me). It looks good. I'll try to get to it in the next few weeks when I'm not so busy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 8:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh. Pwnt by content. I actually thought I had dan's name in there; I guess I was wrong. I will add it for later for reasons which are self evident. As it is though, one can see that two of the names were instructors of Dan Inosanto, so in a way I did recognize him. So there. :P

Seriously tho. Too many good names, not enough space. I wanted to keep it a short list so as not to confuse the reader.

Lemme know then. I sometimes forget it's extremely long and I write in a somewhat boorish fashion so if you must, just PM me with what you think.

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 12:14pm

Style: Battojutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finished reading.
    Looks great, althought a tad hard to follow without pictures - but the finished product should be very straight forward. Otherwise excellent read.

Critique:
    Worth mentioning that the sticks represent machetes, and thus you're not just hitting but cutting. Helps with getting the right angle and striking motion, which a beginner will have trouble with. Although I'm aware that there are 'stick only' techniques nowadays, but most of this stuff should work interchangebly with stick/knife/machete - include again incase not being obvious enough.

From what books I have, and what I was taught, Farmers were allowed to carry their utility bolos, and many people kept balisongs on them. They used have a utility bolo that would split into two thinner blades, to hide from the soldiers.

Whats the official stance on grip? I just assumed a tight-tight-firm-loose grip as used in JSA. Prehaps talk how to grip it properly, pressure wise? Is this was is meant by saber grip?

No mention of 'patterns', as in the kata-like forms that are practiced in some schools. Worth noting just for the MA noobs

I'd have a Basic Sinawalli section, outlining the principles and the variations on it (dual opponent, movement exercises), and 4strike & 6-strike. ironically I was taught two stick, 4 strike sinwalli first (2 strikes RH, 2 strike LH)- one stick be considered more advanced. I always felt sinawalli was pretty important.

I'd really like to see this published, or at least as a pdf. Great work.

For comparison sake:
    My Instructor is a MAAP arnisador 1st dan with instructor's permit, can't recall who certified him exactly but was a filipino (maybe even ernesto presas, name rings a bell), and it was over there.
    Our study is mostly japanese swordwork. We occassionally spend a lesson doing arnis, so as to improve out shortblade (shoto), knife work and disarms. Our instructor took up arnis for this exact reason, and swears by it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the criticism; lots of good info in there. I will definitely be adding in a little segment about the sticks signifying machetes. I guess it's been so long since I was taught that I must have forgotten about that 'minor' point.

It's always the little things, eh? I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't know if I'll publish it or not but it's something I've wanted to write for some time so I'm glad to have finally finished it.

About forms, we actually never trained any 'forms' per se, unless you count sinawalli. I suppose other forms of arnis may use those. I have no personal experience with them though. It's another little blip I wouldn't mind mentioning.

I'll review and look at perhaps giving a sinawalli primer too; all good points.

On an aside, that is interesting you learned the two hand double stick version of hi-lo; I actually didn't learn that until way later and the first one I learned was 6 strike double stick.

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 5:44pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cutting is definately essential to good mechanics. Especially at close range you don't really want to "push" the blade out, you want to pull it across toward the hip opposite your original chamber. Two other big things to note about close range striking with the stick and blade.

- Your hand needs to stay lower the close you get. If we're withing corto range and your hand lifts to the typical shoulder or ear chamber, you're going to get hit in the hand when he steps out of range. The tip of the weapon only needs to stay a few inches over the top of your head to protect at close range, so that should have your hand drifting between your hips, stomach and floating ribs. Thinking of "cutting" away brush with a machete is very helpful here.

- keep the tip of the weapon pretty much around the crown of your head. It should pretty much stay around there. Your strikes should form an "A" with the apex at the crown, and the two sides ending around your hips. The weapon will tip slightly forward, so that the "A" in front of you is leaning forward 30-45 degrees depending on range. At no point will your hand be higher than the weapon tip.

Keep in mind, we're talking about Very Close Range here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 10:53pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My view is be careful of saying in Arnis we do this or that, unless its going to be true in most of the major systems. It would be good to know how your style differs and why. Different systems have different focuses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2007 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    My view is be careful of saying in Arnis we do this or that, unless its going to be true in most of the major systems. It would be good to know how your style differs and why. Different systems have different focuses.
    Is there a specific piece in which you're referring? I thought I tried to do that though honestly I've been so busy getting ready for my wedding I haven't had a chance to review the document to see what you mean.