Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by actionfaad
    Is it possible to have your rib cage crack at the seam in the back? sometimes i feel like my sternum will collapse and all my ribs will jab into eachother when i'm being crushed from side mount while on my side, if the guy is like 230lbs or more. I'm 130.

Can a rib cage crack from pressure fairly easily?

There is no "seam in the back".
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, CPR often results in a cracked sternum or ribs or both. On the other hand, a LOT of CPR recipients are elderly people not in the best of health.

Even so, very seldom is all the weight focused on one spot repeatedly in grappling training the way it is in CPR. Think of posting on the heels of one hand right in the center of your partner's chest once a second--for 30 minutes or more. It takes that long to get to the local hospital from my town, longer if you're out in the boondocks. I don't know if the two are really comparable.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 11:32pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CPR patients would be unconscious too. Having lax muscles in the ribcage (intercostals) might make for easier breaking.

:idea1:
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no "seam in the back".
    LOL...

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 7:04am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That doesn't look like a seam. Looks more like a spine.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 7:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by actionfaad
    Can a rib cage crack from pressure fairly easily?
    Pressure turns coal into diamonds. Man up.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    LOL...

The OP was talking about the ribs.

Mmmm, ribs ...

Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 9:07am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That reminded me of the pig out I had Sunday night. Mega-ass sized pork chops and ribs with apple/lemon sauce. Hmmmmm, hmmmmm, protein at its finest.

Going back to the topic, rolling shouldn't cause a cracked rib, in general. It could happen, however, during a throw with one dude falling on the other. It should very rare, though. A hyperextended ligament is more likely to happen than a fracture.

Anyways, here is a good read on cracked ribs:

http://medicalcentereast.client.web-...roken_rib.html
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I felt one of my ribs "pop" about 3 months ago. Someone was standing up to pass my guard and they basically folded my legs all the way behind my head. I'm pretty flexible so I thought I was fine, then suddenly I swear I felt my rib move. Training was a bitch for the next few weeks, because I had *no* core power any longer. There weren't any marks on my side so I didn't go see a doctor, but I suspected I'd dislocated a rib.

A few weeks after I thought it had healed, this big :5censored at our school put me in some kind of scissor-lock and squeezed right over the rib I'd injured before. It popped again, and now there's a weird lump on my side that won't go away. Now I'm starting to think I might have broken it originally, but I still haven't had a chance to get it checked out.

I've talked to 2 or 3 guys at my school that have had rib injuries doing BJJ, and before this thread, I thought they were pretty common.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett
    I've talked to 2 or 3 guys at my school that have had rib injuries doing BJJ, and before this thread, I thought they were pretty common.
    I've only been going a few months, and already have sore ribs from a guy 40kg heavier than me 'knee-on-bellying' me hard on the chest after a guard pass last week. It's not 'end of the world' bad, but the pain has flared up everytime I've rolled since.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12