Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 1:43pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65
    Sempai, its not about lineage wars, its a question of if he trained at all and how long, etc. It's not a 'my teacher is better than yours' issue. If they have a bs resume, guys who trained before will know its bs, its that guys with no experience may think a bs artist is a great, properly trained instructor.

The old Tiger Clay thread is a perfect example. That asshole went to a legit school for a few lessons and then was calling himself a purple belt. Thats why people ask about who trained under who.
    Good point, but a guy could be a good grappler and an instructor by working out with guys and picking thing up and not really going to a Gracie or a Machado school.

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 2:54pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but I could become a great puncher by just punching people and not working out a gym. Does this make me qualified to be a boxing coach?

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    True, but I could become a great puncher by just punching people and not working out a gym. Does this make me qualified to be a boxing coach?
    You could be a good boxer by training with good boxers in a gym and sparring with them and not taking boxing lessons from a boxing coach.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:04am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without good instruction its still pretty hard. Your probably more of a heavy bag if you go in and spar with no instruction. It may toughen you and improve your cardio, but without a good coach, your technique won't get all that much better.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65
    Without good instruction its still pretty hard. Your probably more of a heavy bag if you go in and spar with no instruction. It may toughen you and improve your cardio, but without a good coach, your technique won't get all that much better.
    Hopefully working out with boxers( and taking advice from them) and sparring with them, it will begin to rub off in you and you will develop some skill.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:31am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    Hopefully working out with boxers( and taking advice from them) and sparring with them, it will begin to rub off in you and you will develop some skill.
    Unless they're not any good or you don't listen or you don't have very much exposure. If people are serious about something they seek out quality instruction in it. Not videos, not Jerry and Tim up the block that are "real into UFC and Jiu-Jitsu and stuff". Please understand that the next statement is hyperbole for purpose of emphasis, but you wouldn't want your doctor or lawyer to just hang out with some guys who are into medicine and law and then ply their trades on your behalf? Or learn mechanical engineering from a guy who was into bridges and stuff? Of course not. You would want someone with credentials from an accredited school. There is a similar desire here. That's why someone claiming a specific skillset with only so many people giving instruction in the world is relatively easy to verify. Again this is strictly based on the claims of BJJ study.

MA's are full of charlatans. We're simply trying to see that people get what they pay for rather than being taken advantage of by people to exploit their inexperience.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:37am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nas said it better than I. Perfect example.