Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:01am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strained hip flexor?

Background

Last night when stretching before my BJJ class my left hip (flexor?)(very top of my leg where it meets your pelvis area) felt a little tight, this is unusual as I'm quite flexible, stretched out and finished up class. I've got kickboxing straight after and halfway through I was noticing it more, it was getting "tighter" and a fair bit sorer.

I should have stopped but at the time wasn't too bad, ended up working through it, went home, after an hour or so and was feeling it quite a bit, iced it up a little, and attempted to sleep it off, that didn't work so well, anytime I moved it woke me up, suffice to say, in the morning it was really caining.

I can raise my leg (straight legged from the pelvis) backwards, and sideways, when I try to lift directly upwards in front it feels as if I've got no strength and can't lift it close to 90 degrees without side bending at the waist slightly, it's quite sore, feels much like a muscle cramp in the top of my thigh.

There was no incident that I'm aware of that caused it.

I can still stretch out to full ROM, with only slight soreness, but trying to use (push my hips out or move left leg is a killer)

Question

How do you rehab something like this? Do more stretches? (I googled, and got conflicting advice re: stretching to rehab hip flexors)

Using some Voltaran on it at the moment

Do I just R.I.C.E it? Anyone that has experienced this give me a rough timeframe? Should I lay off BJJ/KB and the Gym? Not really looking forward to missing out on training.

Cheers

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bujinkan budo taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id say around 2 weeks more or less...of course it depends on how severly you strained your hip flexor...I would think kickboxing is a no:/

My experience: I startet training more or less after a couple of days...i riced and streched carefully.(but then again your damage may be more serious so )

Also try lying on your back hug you leg (carefully), and try to rotate the leg in the hip socket.
    it will help to loosen up...

I hate this sort of injury so can relate to the frustration...Hope you find some use in my reply:)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:20pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks pane have taken it on board!