Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 7:40pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    the parts that don't suck work. Now go find them! When you're done, cut the rest out, mix in some kickboxing and BJJ and call it Neo-Kempo!
    Does not need to be thought of as neo-kenpo, from day one kenpo grabbed moves and techniques from any source that came along. The techniques were generally tested in Hawaii in street fights. Now (since the 1990s) that grappling has proven itself, it makes since to grab techniques from bjj etc. In fact I am not sure why kajukenbo ever had to split from kenpo. High level practitioners still seemed to hang out together and attend/hold tournaments together.

On another note, kenpo never seems to drop techniques from the cirriculum. If they are added, they stay. This led to training chambered punching techniques one moment and being trained to always keep the hands up the next.

A note on the street fighting in Hawaii comment above. This is anectdotal evidence. I heard this second hand and was not there. Also, street fighting as a testing method is certainly not a perfect testing ground. In street fighting, there is no quality control on your opponents. You may find a technique works well but not realize the opponent is an idiot. I think real fighting teaches real lessons but organized competition is the only way to make sure you find the best possible opponent.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 7:29pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the comments about Tracy Kenpo...

I know it has a bad rep for "commercializing" martial arts, but I know of a couple good schools. Here in Michigan, there are only two Tracy System schools, both of which have kickboxing in their curriculum, and one even has an amateur MMA team.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 12:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    As for the comments about Tracy Kenpo...

I know it has a bad rep for "commercializing" martial arts, but I know of a couple good schools. Here in Michigan, there are only two Tracy System schools, both of which have kickboxing in their curriculum, and one even has an amateur MMA team.
    There is a good Tracy's school here also. I train with them sometimes because it is very close to my house. I do the non Tracy classes. They have a submission class, which is a mix of BJJ and shootfighting. It is not quite up to par with my BJJ class, but I also do not have to drive 1 1/2 hours one way, so it's a good compromise. We do that for about an hour, then do 1 min rounds on the bags, and finally body conditioning (punching each other in the stomach and kicking the legs). I also do a full contact sparring with them. They have a guy who competes in kickboxing matches and he wants to do MMA once he beefs up his ground game.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 2:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Ed's version has produced fakes is not in doubt, but then Clyde's skill is not in doubt, too. Kajukenbo is Mcdojoized some places, I hear. And the version I learned on the mainland wasn't as gung ho as the Hawaiian stuff, even back in the seventies. Now it's probably really stinko some places. It's sure strong in Hawaii.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    2/11/2008 12:51pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fivestar
    There is a good Tracy's school here also. I train with them sometimes because it is very close to my house. I do the non Tracy classes. They have a submission class, which is a mix of BJJ and shootfighting. It is not quite up to par with my BJJ class, but I also do not have to drive 1 1/2 hours one way, so it's a good compromise. We do that for about an hour, then do 1 min rounds on the bags, and finally body conditioning (punching each other in the stomach and kicking the legs). I also do a full contact sparring with them. They have a guy who competes in kickboxing matches and he wants to do MMA once he beefs up his ground game.
    I've noticed that quite a few Tracy Kenpo places have shootfighting in their curriculum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234