Sponsored Links Spacer Image

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 3:20am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the karate parts might work.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndoChinese
    the parts that don't suck work. Now go find them! When you're done, cut the rest out, mix in some kickboxing and BJJ and call it Neo-Kempo!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 1:51pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better yet, wear a black mask and call it NinKempo. You'll make millions...

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/13/2007 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say this guy's a decent representative of kenpo:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=8092

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jeff speakman's kenpo 5.0

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop talking about it and experience it. Go to any speakman kenpo 5.0 school or contact Mr. Speakman and you will FEEL real kenpo karate. Just a suggestion-I'm not the burning bush.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 10:03am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsbro
    Stop talking about it and experience it. Go to any speakman kenpo 5.0 school or contact Mr. Speakman and you will FEEL real kenpo karate. Just a suggestion-I'm not the burning bush.
    Better yet, go to Frank Trejo and get the original. Not to mention he's a fun guy to hang with after the Kenpo is over. Funny stories, music and no BS.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jeff speakman's kenpo 5.0

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would absolutely love to meet Mr. Trejo, Know if he's coming to the midwest any time soon (say Missouri) ? Or where I could get one of his colorless patches for my collection? Understand this guys: I'll work out with anyone and learn whatever I can wherever I can. The goal being to be a better martial artist and make my students better. If I disagree with something, I'll state my case, listen to yours and make my final decision based on intelligent, lucid information passed on with respect and friendship.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2008 2:51pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsbro
    Would absolutely love to meet Mr. Trejo, Know if he's coming to the midwest any time soon (say Missouri) ? Or where I could get one of his colorless patches for my collection? Understand this guys: I'll work out with anyone and learn whatever I can wherever I can. The goal being to be a better martial artist and make my students better. If I disagree with something, I'll state my case, listen to yours and make my final decision based on intelligent, lucid information passed on with respect and friendship.
    Here is a link to his schedule:

http://www.franktrejokarate.com/schedule.html

Again, he's a blast and the well rounded form he teaches is effective and fun. He can make something seem so simple you may have spent months or years trying to grasp. Not to mention again, he's fun to hang with. I think if you could contact him he could get you a patch. You should look into having a seminar yourself, if there are Kenpo schools around I'm sure you can make it worth your while and he's a good guy to have in your corner.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 6:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the gentle side of Kempo:

I'm on O'ahu doing Kempo. It's real good. Too bad all you haole fokahs nevah come down.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoChinese
    Wrong. You're saying that karate is somehow more effective than Kali Escrima Lua JJJ Judo Boxing Kenpo Chuan Fa Gung Fu? That is the original style. When I worked out with Professor "Luna" Emperado, he wasn't too thrilled with my one punch one kill Kyokushin type sd responses, to put it mildly. They like the take him down with a throat grab (R hand) and then back fist the groin with the same hand then do several more strikes. Doesn't look like Karate.

I'm on O'ahu and Friday warmups were shrimping and other fun full body moves, all the way across the floor (cement), back and forth, six times (I made four before before Professor (who'd finished several minutes sooner) told us stragglers to get a drink. You want to do guard/side/mount drills on cement? I keep thinking, why don't we use those nice pads that are stacked by the wall, but I know that Professor would look sad and say, "You gonna take the pads with you on the street?"

Posted On:
    2/08/2008 10:25pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grew up in the 1970's and I don't remember any of the Parker guys doing full contact, at least not of any note. Yes, Benny the Jet was a Kempo (under Bill Ryusaki, not Parker) guy, but he also did Shotokan and Judo, as well as Boxing.

As I recall, Parker was dead set against full contact, and basically popularized the idea of people being extremely breakable. As Bill Wallace once laughed "everyone thought people were going to get killed with the deadly Karate blows once we went full contact". I'm sure some of the Hawaii guys are scary tough, but there are so many guys that flail the air, it's not funny.

Another old interview was when Wallace talked about how Elvis, Parker's most famous student, would do some little back fist and say " I coulda killed ya". Christ, when Parker wanted a martial artist to fight a boxer who had been making fun of Karate, regularly knocking out Krotty guys in the ring, he didn't fight the guy. He got Judo Gene LeBell to do it. They were both the same age- why didn't Parker go in and do Mace of Destruction, or some ****? Sorry, but the only thing I think Parker did was create the McDojo. RIP.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast