Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 9:22pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Representatives of Kempo?

I've been interested in learning a bit more about the history and practice of Kempo for some time. However there seems to be a huge variety of styles of varied caliber and it has been difficult trying to sort through all of it.

So, for those with more experience and knowledge of this art who are the good or even definative representatives of the style?

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one? hahaha. Well doesn't that tell you something about the art.

In short Fitz, Kempo was a good idea that never got off its feet, and now everyone and their brother claims to be a master/professor/soke of it.

For schools that do a better job than others, check out Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 and the Pit where Chuck Liddell trains. Though I wouldn't consider Chuck's place remotely close to anything I'd consider Kempo, despite the name (Hawaiian Kempo).
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 2:33pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one? hahaha. Well doesn't that tell you something about the art.
    Yeah, there was a part of me that wondered if bringing this up was simply farting in the pool.

In short Fitz, Kempo was a good idea that never got off its feet, and now everyone and their brother claims to be a master/professor/soke of it.
    That's the impression I've gotten, or at least that it is the most fractured "Any Joe with a Mullet, some patches and a Dream can call himself Grandmaster" kind of art. It seems that since it was rather ecclectic from the start and lacked anything in the way of overseeing bodies or organizations it's spred like a highly contagious, fast mutating virus. I'd just be interested in knowing a bit more about the original strain and the more represenative mutations.

For schools that do a better job than others, check out Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 and the Pit where Chuck Liddell trains. Though I wouldn't consider Chuck's place remotely close to anything I'd consider Kempo, despite the name (Hawaiian Kempo).
    I'll check them out. Thanks for getting back to me.

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 5:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Yeah, there was a part of me that wondered if bringing this up was simply farting in the pool.
    ah bit.... heh

That's the impression I've gotten, or at least that it is the most fractured "Any Joe with a Mullet, some patches and a Dream can call himself Grandmaster" kind of art. It seems that since it was rather ecclectic from the start and lacked anything in the way of overseeing bodies or organizations it's spred like a highly contagious, fast mutating virus. I'd just be interested in knowing a bit more about the original strain and the more represenative mutations.
    Hrmm....original strains....well then you'd be looking at names like Chow, Emperado, and Parker. Chow with Kara-Ho, Emperado with Kajukenbo, and Parker with American Kenpo. Anyone who's worth spit came from those three names. Speakman was a product of Parker lineage, while Liddell came down the line from Emperado. In short, the schools that compete in kickboxing and MMA are the ones to go to, and the rest generally don't know the first thing about fighting.

That's the way it's been since the beginning. EPAK (parker) guys would compete in Full contact karate tournaments, and they developed notoriety from their accomplishments there. The same on the east coast with Pesare (came from Karazenpo lineage which was an offshoot of Kajukenbo) where he and his students fought full contact frequently. Unfortunately the many Ke?po techniques taught never translated well to the tournaments they engaged in (or to fighting) and the excuses you still hear today came up about those just being sports, and not a true test of deadliness. In end, those that competed and fought were good, and those that didn't LARPed and sucked. Today, most Ke?po schools are in the latter department.

Like I said. It was a good idea. Cross-trianing, creating a hybrid style of many martial arts....I've even heard it referred to as "organized Jeet Kune Do" if you'll believe that :eusa_wall

But in the end, it seemed to end up as not much more than unrefined kickboxing, and LARPing of impractical and implausible techniques.

I'll check them out. Thanks for getting back to me.
    no problem
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 2:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist

I believe Hacklman started in Kajukenbo, he's also a member of Kajukenbo Hall of Fame: http://www.ironlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37803

I've read that Hawaiian Kempo is very similar to Kajukenbo minus the forms.

The below description of Hawaiian Kempo, taken from here: http://www.thepit.tv/faq/

Hawaiian Kempo Teaches, and drills extensive strikes (kicks, knees, punches, elbows), takedowns, takedown defense, ground techniques from the top, and bottom. We learn, drill, and spar in as close to a real street situation as safely possible.

sounds exactly like my Kajukenbo class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 3:48am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Kempofist said, it is a good idea, in the theory. Also like he said, most schools gone to mcdojoism/bullshido. One of the best things you could probably take from EPAK is the scientific principles, if you find a school that teaches them. Of course, some AKK teachers over emphasize the scientific/medical studies on Ke?po'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2007 6:17pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keith Hackney is probably the best example of kenpo in action in an actual combat environment back when he fought in the UFC. Unlike a lot of traditional fighters at the time, Hackney was actually able to used what he learned in the dojo and use it effectively in the ring. Check out his fights with Emmanuel Yarborough and Royce Gracie expecially. You can really see and break down a lot of the moves he is doing from a scientific kenpo standpoint.

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 1:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan McScary
    Keith Hackney is probably the best example of kenpo in action in an actual combat environment back when he fought in the UFC. Unlike a lot of traditional fighters at the time, Hackney was actually able to used what he learned in the dojo and use it effectively in the ring. Check out his fights with Emmanuel Yarborough and Royce Gracie expecially. You can really see and break down a lot of the moves he is doing from a scientific kenpo standpoint.
    Hate to say it but I agree....ridge hand strikes, repeated hammer fists, punching the groin. Looks like Ke?po, smells like Ke?po, must be Ke?po :)
    ~Bruce Lee

1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo Original Method

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Hate to say it but I agree....ridge hand strikes, repeated hammer fists, punching the groin. Looks like Ke?po, smells like Ke?po, must be Ke?po :)

Yeah because hitting someone with a hammerfist or in the groin doesn't work.
    "I'll Try To Be Nicer, If You'll Try To Be Smarter "

"When You Are Standing on the Edge of a Cliff a Step Forward Is Not Progress "

"Stonehenge, where the demons dwell, where the banshees live and they do it well..."

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 8:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danjo
    Yeah because hitting someone with a hammerfist or in the groin doesn't work.
    Never said it didn't work. Just said it looked like Kempo? Kempo can now have nothing that works? Danjo, have you become as jaded as me!? Oh happy day!!!!
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast