GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Apple Cider Vinegar

Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar was $2.99 for a quart at vitamin Shoppe so I figured hel why not? I read you take 3 teaspoons a day. Personally I am just throwing it down, its nasty but quick.

Aside from ACV's claims of being awesome for you, vinegar in general is supposedly good to take. I read that a shot of vinegar PWO helps glycogen resynthesis speed up so it is good for recovery:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...hlight=vinegar

SO anyone else take ACV specifically for any reason or have anything to back it up? I see on Sherdog and BB.com that lifters do recommend vinegar for PWO with their PWO shakes so why not use ACV just in case?

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 4:21pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It shouldn't matter that it is Apple Cider vinegar, right? Isn't the active ingredient still acetic acid?
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The PWO benefit according to the link comes from the acid. Acetic or citric. The study didn't use apple cider vinegar but any vinegar with 5% acidity would work I think.

Using apple cider vinegar as opposed to lemon juice or balsamic vinegar would be because it supposedly has a whole bunch of other benefits. So why not use it just in case?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hhmmmm, check the following:

http://www.bragg.com/FAQ/faq_applecider.html

Apparently, the idea is to take ACV that is not pasteurized (and it recommends 1 to 2tbs of it mixed with 1-2 tbs of honey in a glass of water.)

And this is what BB.com says in the matter:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/apple.html

Apple cider vinegar is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and health promoting compounds. It is rich in phosphorus, calcium, sodium, potassium, iron, magnesium, chlorine, and b-vitamins. Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar also contains pectin and malic acid. Most importantly, apple cider vinegar contains "mother" - the active ingredient most responsible for its health effects.

Apple cider vinegar has recently found new use as a weight-loss and weight-management aide, and has been included in many over-the-counter weight loss nutritional supplements.

While its effectiveness as a weight-loss aide is questionable, and while no scientific studies support the use of apple cider vinegar for weight maintenance or weight reduction, many still continue to believe that apple cider vinegar prevents weight gain by aiding digestion, speeding gastric emptying, and aiding in energy release. Again, no conclusive evidence has emerged to support the claim that apple cider vinegar is efficacious for weight management. Its role in weight management is unknown.

However, the immune system boosting effects of apple cider vinegar are profound, and the vitamins and minerals it contains can contribute to athletic performance and muscle growth.

Hmmm, I think I'm going to get me some of that ACV good ****.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 5/03/2007 5:01pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 5:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tastes horible though. I'm going to buy a shot glass so I can just down it whenever. Also, the tase and smell lingereven when you down it with some water.

On the water/honey/ACV combo I think that is just to make it taste good. I don't think it is neccessary for th benefits. Make sure you shake up the bottle before every use as there is some sediment that settles to the bottom of the bottle.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 6:14pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading this Im going to buy some ACV tonight. Ill see what it does, if anything. From what Ive read though it should be a good idea. Ill see if I ca dig up anything else on it.

I know Luke Cumo loves this stuff, but he also likes his peee.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 6:24pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, wait a minute.

First off, where is the evidence that ACV is immune boosting or does anything it claims? I havent found many articles, but I just read one talking about it. Called The Sour Truth About Apple Cider Vinegar. It talks about no studies to back up the claims that its useful. It also mentions that it has almost no nutritional content, that any bacteria in it that is beneficial would be killed by the acid and goes on more.

So does anyone have any links to reports or studies that show a reason to take this stuff?

Office Drone

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 8:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back a couple years ago I lived with my uncle for a few months and became useless after the first week there because I shared a room with a persian and siamese cat. My nose ran constantly and at the gym I had no energy and mild asthma when I tried running. I hadn't had any major allergies before, but was suffering bad and getting pretty frustrated, so I tried some unpastuerized ACV from Trader Joe's. I swigged the stuff and was actually able to go to work without blowing my nose every 5 minutes that very day. I started to feel better and have less allergy symptoms and overall was satisfied.

However, as time went on I had a harder and harder time drinking it. I used to take a shot every morning on an empty stomach before I ate breakfast (whether that's what you're supposed to do or not I don't know), after awhile suppressing the cough reflex became harder so I took it over the sink. About a year later, after I'd moved and stopped drinking the stuff I was stuck feeling similar staying with some friends who had alot of cats. I tried drinking ACV again and absolutely could not drink it, I would gag everytime (same brand BTW, even bought another bottle and failed with that one).

Throughout the periods I used the stuff I tried watering it down, but never got the same effects when I did. No idea why, but while I was able to drink it after watering it down, it didnt really seem to be as effective. Something about that burn throughout your belly and sinuses when you first chugged it down that was missing? I dunno.

My 2cents

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only concern with ACV is that my stomach doesn't take it too kindly when I use vinegar or anything acid. :tongue6:

Anyone knows if ACV in pill/capsule form is any good?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 8:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no studies that I know of that say anything. BUT, studies do support the use of vinegar as being good for you as in PWO. Vinegar can also be used to aid indigestion sometimes I think. It has its uses.

So as long as I am going to use vinegar in my diet I might as well use the ACV just in case any of the other stuff is true.

The article "Sour truth about ACV" may be right in that the benefits of ACV cn be gained by using any vinegar, but that does not make ACV usleless. It just may not matter if you use balsamic, apple, or white vinegar.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast