Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unorthodox lifts to add to your routine.

Unorthodox exercises to add to your routine.

Reverse Bicep curls: Grasp a barbell with an overhand grip, with the palms facing towards you.
    Curl the bar up towards the clavicle while keeping the elbows still. At the peak of the lift, curl the bar with your wrists by turning the knuckles towards you. Slowly return to starting position. This exercise works the biceps but also brings a greater contribution of the wrist extensors. Gives an awesome forearm pump.

Viral Pulldowns: Something I came up with at the gym while thinking of ways to improve grip strength and endurance. Use the triceps pulldown machine and attach the rope handle. Get your towel (you do use a towel at the gym don't you, you stinky sweaty bastard?) and fold it into half, then half again. Wrap this around the rope handles and grip the outside of the towel. Perform triceps pulldown as normal with one hand. This exercise works the triceps but by wrapping the towel around the rope, you make the handle thicker and harder to grip which forces a greater contribution of the forearm muscles. You also have to grip hard to stop the rope sliding under the towel which forces your forarms to stabilise the grip. Just wait until fatigue kicks in around the last few reps, gives a great burn in the forearms. Good exercise for gi-based grapplers.

Stiff-legged deadlift: Place a barbell on the ground. Perfrom a deadlift with the knees slightly bent (don't lock the knees out) and lift the bar using the lower back, glutes and hamstrings, kind of like doing back extensions but standing up. Keep the head up and don't round the spine, use natural back posture. (natural back posture should be an "S" shaped curvature, not a "C".) It's important to keep the barbell close to the body throughout the lift. The bar should brush up against the knees and things. Bringing the weight further from the body increases the pressure on the lower back. This exercise is actually safe to perform provided you:

- know what you are doing.
    - have experience with squats and deadlifts and can use good form on each.
    - don't overdo the weight. Start light and build technique first, then gradually adding more weight as your strength increases.
    - don't continue to lift when fatigue kicks in and form suffers. Stop on the rep that form begins to falter.
    - read this: http://www.exrx.net/Questions/Danger...l#anchor416052

Hammer Isolation Curls: Sit on a bench with legs apart and grasp a dumbell. Place the elbow on the inside of the thigh near the knee. Hold the dumbell vertically, with he palm facing towards you. Perform bicep isolation curls from this position. Using the hammer grip increases the contribution of the forearms as fixators. For an extra killer, after you get to failure, use the other arm to help you lift the dumbell, then let go and try and lower it as slowly as possible. Three words: lactic acid city.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had no idea these were considered unorthodox. I thought SLDLs were a mainstain in most workout plans.

I was gonna post things like car pushing/pulling, rope climbing, phone book/deck of cards tearing, towel chins, etc etc.

And why are you doing isolation curls? =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 5:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like forearm conditioning.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then head on over to grippage.com
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 4:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Then head on over to grippage.com
    nice.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 4:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That reminds me, I should have included the Leverage Bar...

Leverage Bar: I used to use the bars in the Pump room this, but any sort of bar like a broomstick would do. Grab the bar off-center and rotate clock and anticlockwise from a mid-bicep curl position. As you get stronger with this exercise grip lower and lower down the bar. Works the supuinators and pronators.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    front squats
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I like forearm conditioning.

Black Gripmaster.

Awesome, I highly recommend it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2007 1:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of mixing up my workout routine with unorthodox lifts, I'm about to start an 8-week cycle that involves mostly sandag lifting and dragging. I would consider those unorthodox lifts. The ones mentioned above seem more like slight variations on standard bodybuilding exercises.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast