233149 Bullies, 3389 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's that rare actually. Plenty of people at my BJJ class aren't interested in competing. They just do it for fun/SD/whatever. Another analogy; just because you take a football down the park with your mates, doesn't mean you want to play in am league.

Personally, I can't wait to be good enough to stand any sort of chance when competing.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:08am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian doesn't really compete unless Eduardo has a tournament in their facilities. I don't really either, but I only spend 9-12 hours a week training BJJ.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:18am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was at Fairtex, I was 40 years old, and yeah, I didn't spar much, as you had to pass a physical and get a license. I have low blood pressure, which makes me gas easy, so thanks, but I didn't feel like being a moving target for some 22 year old kid who trains all the time. Also, they had a rule, you could train and not be hassled about it. I looked like I was 30, and my waist was the thinest it had been in years. We can't all be badasses like Alex.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Aesopian doesn't really compete unless Eduardo has a tournament in their facilities. I don't really either, but I only spend 9-12 hours a week training BJJ.
    How often does Eduardo hold tournaments?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:45am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    why didnt you compete pong? too afraid of the big mean islanders from auckland? (thats why i stay at my weight)
    And that's not an unrealistic concern. I remember back in high school a buddy of mine thought it'd be funny to trip up a pretty big samoan dude who was running past. Started a huge islander/pakeha fight, everyone ended up in front of the principal. Real fuckin' hilarious.

A large group of guys who looked like The Rock vs. a large group of guys who looked like Eminem.

Ahhhh, high school... what's not to like.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 7:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    How often does Eduardo hold tournaments?
    Whenever he feels like it, I guess.

Forgive me for being presumptive, but last I checked, you don't exactly like Aesopian, which makes me think you're asking this for a reason. If that's not the case, my apologies, I'm a douchebag, blah blah blah. If it is, keep this in mind: Aeso got promoted to purple belt partially because he demolished almost everyone he had a match with (including at least one purple belt in an open division) at Eduardo's last tournament. He dropped one match by points to a guy from his school, but also beat him in a different division that day.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 8:21pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i train 12+ hours a week, although i haven't lately because of finals and stuff, and i haven't fought yet and don't have any definite plans to fight. i compete in judo competitions, though, and those are great fun.. but are not "fighting" i don't think.

firstly, training is just fun for me. i'm kinda autistic when it comes to jiujitsu/judo/etc. and i think about it with abnormal frequency. also: health is good, working out can be boring, but choking people makes it interesting for me.

secondly, i've only been doing bjj/judo for about a year, so i'm not very good. i'm trying to
    be, though, and when i get more confidence (and striking ability) i'm going to look into fighting. but i don't want to lose on newbness.. in fact, i don't want to lose at all. losing sucks and i'd rather not, especially when losing involves being punched in the face.

that's my reasoning for not fighting, anyway..

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    I don't think it's that rare actually. Plenty of people at my BJJ class aren't interested in competing. They just do it for fun/SD/whatever. Another analogy; just because you take a football down the park with your mates, doesn't mean you want to play in am league.

Personally, I can't wait to be good enough to stand any sort of chance when competing.
    thats kind of a shitty analogy though. I would equate it to what I said earlier, it's like training at a rugby club and never actually playing a game. Maybe I have a different viewpoint on it but it just seems odd to me not to go the whole 9 yards

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 8:52pm

Style: deciding

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou
    Maybe this person is only training for self-defense and not sport?

Exactly !

Posted On:
    5/05/2007 1:16am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    thats kind of a shitty analogy though. I would equate it to what I said earlier, it's like training at a rugby club and never actually playing a game. Maybe I have a different viewpoint on it but it just seems odd to me not to go the whole 9 yards
    This is pretty much my point. How do you know your skills are worth 2 shits if you don't test them against another person? And if you only care about the "fitness" aspect and not fighting, why would you come to the dojo for hours every single day? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast