Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/13/2007 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the wavemaster "bag" (I have one) and the BOB. On the wavemaster, the foam padding collapses fairly easily under heavy kicking which means you power right through to the hard plastic support collumn. So kicking it is an exercise in "too soft" followed by "ouch." I bought it when I lived in an apartment and had no place to hang a heavy bag. In that sense, it's better than nothing. But if you can get a real heavy bag, do so.

As for the BOB, I have worked out on one once, and I hated it. The head just seemed to collapse when hit. It would just fold up on itself every time. That gave it a very unrealistic feel. Besides, BOBs seem to be a must have item for too deadly to spar RBSDers so they have always carried that taint for me. I just can't bring myself to appreciate a training tool that Phil Elmore endorses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:19pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is the Wavemaster free standing bag really the best option? Any other brands/varieties that are better?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally hate the freestanding bags (not bob) because they have a large hard plastic core. I have been able to flatten the foam enough to hurt my shin on the plastic core on more than one bag. This is not over time by the way. This is in one session of bag work. They just aren't designed for real hard kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 6:00pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I personally hate the freestanding bags (not bob) because they have a large hard plastic core. I have been able to flatten the foam enough to hurt my shin on the plastic core on more than one bag. This is not over time by the way. This is in one session of bag work. They just aren't designed for real hard kicks.
    We have a “wave bag” that was donated to the gym. When you are poor, never turn down a donation. We have had the same problem with flat foam and hurt shins, now I tend to only let the kids use it, or say “Only do boxing on that.” We did have a problem with it tipping over, I added some sand with the water and fixed that. Some still get it, let me tell ya a 350lbs guy kicking it will still flip it.

I have also been thinking of getting a bob for clinch/knees, it also seems a good way to work elbows as the anatomy is there to aim at.
    Later,
    Zyph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 9:06am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hitting a BOB is allright. They're fun for working combinations with your hands. I don't care for kicking them though- there's not a lot of padding between the skin and the core, and the head just flops all over if you kick it. BOB can be a fun supplement or alternate tool, but no substitute for a good heavybag.

That said, I hate the standing wavemaster bags. If you've got any power in your punches or kicks, you will just cut through the foam and hit the plastic. I actually use a smaller one we have that is a little better put together for working hand and shin conditioning (like a makiwara) because it has a little give and the foam takes a little sting off hitting the plastic. For regular bag training, they're pretty crappy. They tip over, and even when they stay upright the base rocks and shifts.

I have yet to find a good substitute for a solid heavybag (aside from maybe an unwitting partner...).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 11:59am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still haven't even sorted out a frame for a heavy bag, i'm a procrastinating ****
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234