Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 2:11pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Park Lodge Judo and Jujutsu Kia

The Dojo is open on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, but I only attend Wednesday and Sunday. the other times are for kids only. The Jujutsu is devided much like judo, with the standing work taking on a more "self defense scenario" feel than the Judo. Techniques such as wrist escapes are first demonstrated and are then practiced. Resistance is encouraged, but not the point the practice of each technique become an excuse to spar. For example, if a person is trying to escape a bear hug, you are exspected to try and hold on, but not suplex them onto the mat. The groundwork consists of Randori, with short breaks for sensei to show different techniques or theories.

The Dojo, being a rather neglected comunity hall, has plenty of rooms. One of which acts as a store room for all the mats and weapons when not in use. The main trainig hall has space for 3 heavy bags which remain in the store room when not in use. Weapons are supplied when needed. The main training area isn't huge, but is adequate for the size of the classes (usually a maximum of 10 adults, or about 15 children). Rolling into others somtimes occures, but its nothing an appology dosn't solve. Thier are a good number of instructors compared to the students, somtimes enough for one on one training on quite nights.

The atmosphere is friendly but productive. "You can call me what you want, as long as it send in Sensei" is probably the most memorable rule, and its one he obides by. He trains with his wife, also an instructor leading to a few comedy moments. Thier is no sighn of the "grapplers ego" on the mat, despite what many strikers told me about BJJ/ Judo Dojos.

Striking instruction is limited to the Jujutsu classes only, and can somtimes feel alittle constricted. Bag and pad work isn't as common as more "traditional" drills and excersies, but does occur. Sparring is also a means of stress testing techniques.

Grappling takes the form of either tachi-waza or ne-waza randori, as well as throwing drills. Randori is a part of the Judo grading Syllabus, with four rounds required for the transition to the second grade. Ne-waza uses Jujutsu competition rules, the only illegal moves being biting, scratching, striking and eye attacks.

Weapons instruction is mainly throught the use of Kata, although light Bokken and Bo sparring is part of the grading for this portion of the training. Weapons taught include: Bo, Naginata, Sai, Kama, Katana, Nunchuku and Tanjo.
    Last edited by Hidden Ronin; 12/10/2007 11:53am at .

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 5:43am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had the good fortune to attend Seminars run by Sensei Chris and I was astonished by his Groundfighting knowledge and expertise. He introduced a ground kata which included an evolution through 21 locks. For comparison, I saw a similar exposition by an NZ 6th Dan at the recent SENI event. Pardon the digression and to continue, Sensei Chris demonstrated the Judo origins of various topical BJJ techniques i.e. Triangle, with the difference that he has able to show variations and apply them. In Groundfighting, the knowledge just pours out of him. An excellent instructor and I highly recommend him.