Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 3:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido/Karate -both badly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seeingStars
    It's Aiki Kyusho JuJutsu and the instructor goes way way back, as far back as Ellis Sensei at the Hut in Uxbridge, but I don't think he trained under him, it was something to do with setting up some Aikido Board I think. The school was originally called an Aikido school (over 20 years ago) but as far as I can tell was far more Jujutsu than Aikido and has changed over the decades as our instructor has improved his knowledge of other arts and re-evaluated what he teaches. The school is totally independent of any governing body to avoid the politics and BS that seems to exist in almost every MA (as far as I can tell). It's also a full contact school which is what is just one of the reasons I love it.

For those who don't know, The Hut is the home of Aikido in the UK, not the Aikido you tend to see nowadays but a far 'harder' version (this is what I can gather from on-line resources and people who trained there).
    I did briefly train at the Slough offshoot of the school under Robert? Timms. As far as Aikido goes the instruction is excellent - the style is more Yoshinkan than some of the more "Ki" styles. However, I can't speak about what is practised in the Hut but this was Aikido that was practised not Ju Jitsu. I didn't see any techniques other than those of Aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 2:07pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidStoat
    I did briefly train at the Slough offshoot of the school under Robert? Timms. As far as Aikido goes the instruction is excellent - the style is more Yoshinkan than some of the more "Ki" styles. However, I can't speak about what is practised in the Hut but this was Aikido that was practised not Ju Jitsu. I didn't see any techniques other than those of Aikido.
    Dick head. Aikido is a form of Ju Jitsu. Not some hippy Ki ****

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio
    Dick head. Aikido is a form of Ju Jitsu. Not some hippy Ki ****
    Was. Someone took it and changed it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ki-aikido
    Oh, try to stay on-topic.

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    5/14/2007 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kohadril
    There's a Roger Gracie Academy about eight miles from you. 237 Kensal Rd, London. Obviously, it's BJJ, but the facility looks great on their website. I can't find their tuition on the site, but they have a free intro class offer. I'd suggest you take them up on it.
    There's a Carlson Gracie academy in Hammersmith which is on the Picaddily line and easily reachable from Uxbridge. Prices are OK - they give a reduction from teenagers (if you pay monthly) and there's more than just BJJ.

If my knees ever reach the point where I can train again I'm thinking of going there.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 3:42am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at RGA, as do a few others on this site, and would definitely recommend the club - click the little house thing next to my style entry for a review. Classes are very regular indeed, meaning that you would have the opportunity to pretty much train every day if you had the time, money and inclination.

However, I would note that its pretty expensive at 90 per month, though for juniors I'm assuming it would be much less. If BJJ isn't your thing, then there is also thai boxing at the same location, though I don't know much beyond the fact that its there.

The Carlson Gracie place would also be an excellent option, though I haven't trained there myself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 11:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None Yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shred101
    Stay AWAY from these morons. Me and my training partner enquired about an "instructers wanted" tag in the jobcentre. We called up and were asked to go down to see the regional manager or whatever the guy called himself. We were given an address which turned out to be this guys house.
    I recently had a similar experience, but the interview was in this Regional Manager or whateva he wanted to call himself's garage.

I'm trying to get the word out about this sham.

These are my threads:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=1#post1672927

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=75459

Also, please check out this Reporter's story I found on this Brisbane news website.
    http://ccnonline.org.au/?q=node/288

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 6:56pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy who came to my door (at teatime, grr...) to talk to me about their 'karate and self-defence' programme must have been a new recruit because he expressed what looked like genuine interest in the fact that I already train.

He did backpedal amusingly from the 'oh yeah it's non-contact' angle when I suggested that was no use to me, and went for a conspirational 'well, sometimes you get a big of contact, know what I mean...' line. He gave up on that when I suggested that 'accidental contact makes you incompetent, not hardcore'.

I just had a thought. Normally my sense of politeness precludes going into other people's classes and telling them they suclk, but you know what? These people consider it okay to interrupt folks at home during mealtimes to try to sell them GKR. I wonder if they think that makes it okay for me to try to sell them my class, say in the middle of theirs?

I think we know the answer to this one....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fact is, though, that most people don't want to train, not really. They want to 'do martial arts', they want to be given belts, metaphorical pats on the head, and be told they're hardcore badasses.

Non-contact schools like this play to that, deliberately or otherwise, because there's no real testing. Kata and line work in nice controlled conditions.... it's not hard to look good at that, especially to a beginner. In reality it does take time and effort to learn to perform well, even without opposition but there's no danger this way that someone will demonstrate how rabidly you suck in front of the other students.

So the ego is safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been a pragmatist about classes. Nothing is ever going to be perfect so as long as you're getting something you want/need and the plusses outwiegh the negatives, that's okay. So I've done forms and punched the air (sigh) in order to get the better stuff in other parts of the class. Never paid a lot of money for it though...

Anyhow, for this reason I was willing to ignore my old Ju-Jitsu instuctor's occasional flights of fantasy about creating an elite martial arts organisation and such like. He would sometimes get into how we knew stuff other people didn't etc. To me it was just a passing thing, then we'd get back to what I wanted which was learning techniques and concepts I didn't know about.

There were those that swallowed it all wholesale however. One guy in particular... he was pretty decent (but never as good as he liked to believe) but went downhill fast once his trip into fantasy land became permanent.

Over time our instructor's line went from 'most important; don't get hit while you're moving in because that's pretty much the end of your technique' to 'the most important thing is the bow' (sigh).

Fantasy Guy loved that. He'd do these most excellent bows and the instructor would go into raptures about them becuase he wanted us to do more bowing. It'd not mattered in the past very much. The 30 minutes I'd just put in teaching beginners went unmentioned as usual, 5 seconds of overdone bow and that was something to stop the class for. (resentment mode off).

So Fantasy Guy went down that route. He reached the point where he couldn't perform basic techniques against someone TRYING to comply (like I was doing during my misguided helping-him-through-the-hard-patch phase) let alone with resistance.

So there came a point when he had to face it and fix the problem or hide forever. Guess what? He developed a habit of demonstrating (SOOO BAAADLY) for beginners or coaching them on stuff he couldn't do himself. He was always off being helpful to some beginner or working with one of the, umm, gentler, students. His regular training partner was somone who was genuinely unable to have any sort of roughness done to her. She could train OK but being a 50+ woman with a serious back injury was somewhat limiting.

And so, with absolutely no chance of ever being called on anything, what happened? Yup, he became an elite ninja-slaying deathmeister badass. Man, he could bow like nobody's business. He could bark technique names at beginners and tell them off for not being able to perform well or fast enough. And he could deliver the hardcore elite martial arts meister lecture pretty well too.

He got away with this under the old instructor for a good while. Then I inherited the class, much to my surprise. Suddenly Fantasy Guy had to perform.

He lasted three sessions.

Three.

This is the sort of guy that's happy in the GKR envronment. He wants to wear the dark coloured belt, have people bow to him, and be one of the top dogs in the class by virtue of the rank he's given within the system other people have created. And above all, he does not want to have to demonstrate his competence because he has little.

This is, IMO, what most people want from the martial arts. Coolness, maybe even kewlness. Grades, belts and rank; collections of samurai swords and an excuse to pretend that they're badasses. But nothing sharp anywhere near, no thanks. Nothing that might burst that bubble.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2008 11:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None Yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ Dougherty
    He lasted three sessions.

Three.

This is the sort of guy that's happy in the GKR envronment. He wants to wear the dark coloured belt, have people bow to him, and be one of the top dogs in the class by virtue of the rank he's given within the system other people have created. And above all, he does not want to have to demonstrate his competence because he has little.

This is, IMO, what most people want from the martial arts. Coolness, maybe even kewlness. Grades, belts and rank; collections of samurai swords and an excuse to pretend that they're badasses. But nothing sharp anywhere near, no thanks. Nothing that might burst that bubble.
    You might be interested MJ Dougherty in visiting a thread I made.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=75459

I have compiled some interesting information on it.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast