Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 3:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my contact says he teaches one public class at kingswinford and senior training on a tuesday evening at kidderminster

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 5:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkDaddy
    my contact says he teaches one public class at kingswinford and senior training on a tuesday evening at kidderminster
    Thanks.

And his shodan... is that purely in Go Kan Ryu, or had he previously trained in a real system?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 9:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Thanks.

And his shodan... is that purely in Go Kan Ryu, or had he previously trained in a real system?
    i'll have to ask my contact there if he had a shodan in another style but i know he did taekwondo before

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers... it's always interesting to find these things out...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 4:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new sensei training program just finished in region 32 last weekend

most senior qualifiers are a 5th kyu (blue), followed by a 6th kyu (green)

the jewels in the crown are a 7th kyu (orange) and 2x 8th kyu (yellow) qualifiers.

my contact says this is 'offset' (LOL) by 2x 3rd kyu brown instructors and 2x 4th kyu (red) leaving in recent weeks

none are police/crb checked yet, so i will post here if they appear in a class before they actually are
    Last edited by FunkDaddy; 9/26/2008 4:49am at .

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 8:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate, Haidong Gumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I'm new here but I just thought I'd jump into this straight away as this is a topic that has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time now.

I train in Loong Fu Pai Martial Arts (based in Melbourne, Australia) it COULD sound an awful lot like GKR, in that it isnt a traditional style of Karate. But our Kancho had multiple dan grades in various styles before he left penang. I've been training since I was 12 years old (now 25) and since moving to QLD too long ago I am finally going for my 1st dan in my style.

When I left victoria the style MA weapons licensing was coming into play, my mother (a 2nd dan) and I had to get it because of our combine arsenal. During this time it came out that most (re: ALL) people in GKR wouldn't be eligible for the licensing under the original requirements of being able to have certain registrations. Basically it came out that 99% of the instructors in our area couldn't officially be called instructors, and a good portion of them weren't even black belts.

The thing that has gotten to be recently is that, now competing in the National All Styles again after a few year off, its been overrun by GKR. Most of the refs and judges are GKR. Its a sea of these people. I watch the sparring (I didnt spar this year, but plan to next year) was HORRIBLE. Most of the competitors seemed to have been trained to fall down even if they get brushed up against as it scores against their opponents. I watch black belts and their sparring technique would get them dead in a real fight.

It makes me depressed.

I remember I used to take the first warning in these tournaments. Just kick my opponent int he head or get a nice punch in - whatever was open to me at the time. but now, now I think I'd kill them if I even tried - or at least they'd act like it.

GKR is killing the art, its like the cancer of martial arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yep Go-Kan-Not-Do is a cancer... my friend used to do it n he knows an instructor who told him that he doesnt believe in the art and is only in it for the money! i heard that they regularly do something about doing 100 punches or some ****. what the hell is that supposed to achieve?

this guy actually came knocking advertising go kan ryu membership. sadly, we let him in. he gave us his sales pitch which lasted for hours- he was very insistent that we signed up immediately and paid up front. i wonder why. when my parents came into the room and asked further about the art he became very defensive and actually caused quite a row. he wouldnt leave! haha it seems to me that GKR targets children because they are easy to rip off. the number of chubby, sickly people learning it seems to be increasing. which reminds me of a similar place that teaches taekwondo- i knew a kid back in primary school who allegedly had a black belt... curious, because he was only about 9 or 10... *cough* *Mc Dojo* *cough*

my karate teacher at the time warned me that i should avoid it because you gain ranks rapidly without any technical skills.

Posted On:
    7/12/2009 2:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Haidong Gumdo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I myself have been to and trained in GKR (just to try it out for a week or so). I must agree that its not great for self defence or even karate for that matter. I have a friend who has a red belt at the club in my area. He has become very strong from training their but if he were to fight using the GKR system i just know he would lose. I think this is so as one time i went to watch him compete at the Australia and new-zealand nationals Compitition. Watching this i saw that their sparing system worked like the Olympic taekwondo where every point you get the match resets. Although what made it truly horible was that it was non contact which puts it at a real disadvantage. on this topic i believe GKR is alright for fitness but when it comes to selfdefence your screwd as no would be attacker is going to reset and back off after a punch, and yes GKR people self defence involves contact.I also think its kind of weird how GKR people worship robert sullivan (GKR founder) like a god.

Posted On:
    7/14/2009 7:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Used to be Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the misfortune to do some GKR about 15 years ago.

Absolutely horrendous. Avoid it like the plague.

When I came to thai boxing it took me ages to unlearn the bad stuff I'd learnt.

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 2:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GKR (Rape Karate) is a joke i did it a few years ago and they taught nothing but bullshido. An example of an advanced technique there was a knife hand. They give karate a bad name. I moved on to kyokushin and realised how crap GKR was
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast