Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Ban plz
    To be fair, you did ask for "critiques". From m-w.com, to critique:
    1 : to consider the merits and demerits of and judge accordingly : EVALUATE
    2 : to find fault with : point out the faults of

MaverickZ's comments, while not particularly constructive, do fall within the bounds of meaning number 2... :icon_neut

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 11:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, but maverick critiqued TKD, not the performance of the OP.

Doesn't even seem like mav watched the vid.

it's just like me popping into the DHS and say GRAPPLING IS t3h Gh3Y!!! in a thread titled "critique my performance at NAGA"

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except I actually know what I'm talking about. It was either post what I posted or make slydermv cry. I chose to be kind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 5:27pm

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timjitsu
    I won first place at a local TKD tournament by keeping my hands up and letting the other guy kick my elbow.

At certain clubs, I was made to sit out the rest of training for doing that. There are some really, really bad schools out there.

Anyway, the video. Good points raised so far, but by two biggest criticisms are:
    1) you only threw two different kicks the entire match; Turning kick and back kick. The odd high section front kick would have worked a charm, as you said his head was just out there begging for a slap.

2) You should look at your distance. There are a lot of points in that video where you could pause it and see that you could fit several people in the space between you and the other guy. Any attack you do from there is going to be more obvious as you're going to have to take several steps forward before you can land it.

Also your counters seem good, you're reacting to what the guy is throwing and attacking his open side accordingly. However you look like you're getting in that nasty habit of letting the guy land the kick before you move. People do this ALL the time in training and you just kind of get used to it. If you think this is happening you should try and get out of that rut.

Thanks for posting the video though, I'm only offering my advice as an ex competitor, I know it's much easier being an armchair critic than it is to actually get padded up. :)
    I liked you stance for the most part BTW. Not so much the low hands, but the weight more on the front foot in an aggressive stance, keeps you more mobile. If you check the guy in red he shifts to the back a bit which is when you catch him.

And as for MavZ, he may come across as an arse, but he does always have not only a good taste in women, but a good point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 8:35pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not a big deal... I was just trying to be funny... no need to turn this in serious business... heh!

As for the sport... I still enjoy it and find it exciting to watch and challenging to compete in. While there are styles way more suited to realistic fighting, I have no delusions. I'm not looking to step in a cage so this is what I do (and maybe I might start some grappling tourneys this year too). I train a bit of MMA to get well rounded... but I really love TKD sparring. What can you do. I guess I'm doomed to a life of slap happy kicking... heh.

Oh.. and if you want to make me cry with critiques... please do. I'm not learning anything if I don't hear it. That's why I posted the video. I already know it's a horrible performance... but anything you want to add, please do.

Thanks Liam. In the gym at least I tend to do ok with my back kick counters and backstep-turning kick counters (i.e. evading like you say)... but here... I don't know.. my timing seemed to be half a step off... it was frustrating to watch

poser

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 9:12pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I posted anything I wanted to say it would only be repeating what's been posted already. Good luck with future sparring endeavors, and please try to stop charging (because at once point you literally ran at the guy and got kicked square in the chest :D).

Weak

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 9:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good on you for posting your vid Slydermy and your own critique.

Can I ask why you continue to do TKD?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 10:19pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Good on you for posting your vid Slydermy and your own critique.

Can I ask why you continue to do TKD?
    See post #15.

I like the game. I could train TKD 24 hours a day... it's a blast. I like the MMA and jits but if I miss a class I don't get too worried *shrugs* I guess it's why some people like basketball over hockey. Can't really explain it.

It sucks too, cause I think I have the body type for a boxer or wrestler more then TKD. Being heavyweight at 5'8" fuckin' blows sometimes.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Advice: Kick like you mean it

Weak

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 1:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    See post #15.

I like the game. I could train TKD 24 hours a day... it's a blast. I like the MMA and jits but if I miss a class I don't get too worried *shrugs* I guess it's why some people like basketball over hockey. Can't really explain it.

It sucks too, cause I think I have the body type for a boxer or wrestler more then TKD. Being heavyweight at 5'8" fuckin' blows sometimes.
    Sorry, didn't read that and thanks for explaining. I can understand enjoying something that much.

Can I ask why you and your opponent wait around/bounce around to see what the other is going to do? Is it related to scoring points or is that just your personal competition style?

I still don't 'get it' (as in how you would apply what you did in that vid outside that comp) but I respect that you enjoy it.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast