Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 4:42pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WTF / USAT Sparring Gloves (and 'foot socks')

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I tried the "Search" function, but apparently "WTF" is too small a search word, and neither "Taekwondo gloves" nor "USAT gloves" were helpful to me. Anyway...

The current USAT rules (as of 29 March 2007) say that BB competitors *must* wear the new WTF/USAT approved gloves. Also the "foot socks" are optional under USAT , but are not allowed in international WTF competition. See extract below.

1) Has anyone used these gloves and/or socks? If so, what did you think? They look like MMA-style gloves to me.

2) Are there any US vendors selling them? I've found WTF-certified gloves for sale internationally, but nowhere in the US.

The new "glove" rules were supposed to go in effect about a year ago--surely somebody here has fought under them?

---
    From the USAT rules:

Gloves and “Foot Socks”:
    14-17 year old Black Belts and Senior Black Belts—WTF/USAT-approved Taekwondo
    gloves are MANDATORY. Red, blue or white gloves can be worn. If the competitor
    chooses to wear red or blue gloves, they must correspond with the chest protector color.
    White gloves can be worn with a red or blue chest protector. If “foot sock” type coverings are
    also worn, they must correspond with the color of the gloves.
    Note: For 14-17 year old Black Belts and Senior Black Belts who move on to international
    competition, please note that foot protectors are not allowed for international events.
    All other divisions—WTF/USAT-approved Taekwondo gloves are optional. If the
    competitor chooses to wear gloves, they may be red, blue or white. Red or blue gloves must
    correspond with the chest protector color. White gloves can be worn with a red or blue chest
    protector. If “foot sock” type coverings are also worn, they must correspond with the color of
    the gloves.
    Shin and instep protection guidelines are detailed in a separate paragraph.
    --
    -

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 8:22pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this mean head punches are a go?

Or just that we need a LOT of protection for the ribs?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

poser

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 8:33pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is just riding the MMA popularity wave, as I haven't seen any recent USAT sparring, and, if this is in association with the WTF, I can't imagine that they would start allowing punches to the head just like that. And besides, just about every "vital point" has gear over it anyway (hogu, helmet) or you aren't allowed to kick there.

software engineer

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given the very little clinching you have in TKD, hell, the very little punching even, I don't see why you don't just give people boxing gloves. These things might look cool, but without wraps, I think it's asking for some people to punch harder but not smarter.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

poser

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 9:14pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just realized something. Isn't "foot sock" a little redundant? I mean, maybe "guard sock" or "foot glove" or whatever, but "foot sock" sounds like... well... idiotic.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2007 10:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like those footsocks

I'd wear those for MT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 9:19am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Does this mean head punches are a go?

Or just that we need a LOT of protection for the ribs?
    I think that the WTF wants to implement electronic scoring in the future, with sensors in the gloves, socks, hogu, and head gear. Maybe we'll see head punches allowed in the sport if/when the WTF/ITF merger happens, but I'm kind of doubting it. Personally, I think if the WTF wants to emphasize the kicking game over punching, they should just award more points for kicks--not just disallow punches to the head. But that's a topic for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    Given the very little clinching you have in TKD, hell, the very little punching even, I don't see why you don't just give people boxing gloves. These things might look cool, but without wraps, I think it's asking for some people to punch harder but not smarter.
    Back in the day (~1970s ?), when head punches were allowed in most full-contact TKD tournaments, I believe a lot of TKD orgs did spar with boxing gloves. It makes perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    I just realized something. Isn't "foot sock" a little redundant? I mean, maybe "guard sock" or "foot glove" or whatever, but "foot sock" sounds like... well... idiotic.
    Agreed. I thought maybe it was a Korean->English translation problem. However, right now, "foot socks" are only allowed in USAT matches, and *not* in international WTF matches. I'm not really sure who came up with the term, but it's weird.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 9:59am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Foot" "sock"...

Hello, department of redundancy department?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 2:20pm

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    It was to ensure people didn't mistake them for the WTF top selling range of "cock sock".

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of like a "baby kitten"?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast