Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:07pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any info on "Austin Self Defense" school in Texas?

I was wondering if anyone had any info on this school or the 'president'. It's a Krav school, but they claim to teach MMA and boxing on a pro level. There were some red flags, they claim to teach 'Mui Thai' and 'Hap Kito' and none of the instructors list their BJJ rank. I have never seen or heard of anyone from that school fighting on any MMA or boxing card in Texas.

The president's bio: Dan Kiser is the President of Austin Self Defense, which has served Austin, Cedar Park, and Leander since since 2002. Mr. Kiser has always had a passion for learning self-defense and fighting techniques and sought out training in reality-based martial art forms. Mr. Kiser has undergone extensive training and received certifications in Krav MagaTM and Haganah Israeli Self Defense & Hand to Hand Combat and anti terrorist techniques. Mr. Kiser has trained under many well-known and prestigious instructors including, Mike Lee Kanarek who is the founder of Haganah F.I.G.H.T and former Operations Group Commando of the Golani Brigade Special Ops Unit of South Lebanon. Additionally Mr. Kiser has consistently trained in Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Hap Kito, Tae Kwon Do, Sambo, & Judo.

I did Wiki the 'Golani Brigade' and it's a real unit and it sounds like an elite unit at that. I just have no clue how to confirm the military claims. The bio is written in such a way I cannot tell if Mr Kiser is claiming to have served in the unit or if he is saying he trained under Mr Kanarek who served in the unit.

The school's website is: http://www.austinselfdefense.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 9:03am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen them at any amateur boxing matches.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 10:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting... I'm not able to find any boxing, mma, etc. record for any of their listed instructors. At least 2 of them are supposed to have boxing experience. I'm also curious who he trained with for BJJ...
    http://www.austinselfdefense.com/ASD/instructors.htm

I'm actually going to be scouting the area in a week or 2 for a new class (most likely will end up at Cardella's school) since I'll be moving to South Austin and the drive to Vandry's school will become too much. If I get the chance I'll put this one on my list to visit.

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 2:14am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure the grapplers domain guys train out of the same location, and I've seen them at local san shou and MMA competitions(xfc, mostly.) Pretty decent on the ground, big-ass guys, sloppy as **** striking. It's only a little bit further out of your way to go to Vandry's, Ray parra's, or larry st. clair's gyms, The former will definately do better for you on the ground, the latter two will have way better standup/MT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 3:32am

Style: random

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother, all you are going to find is that the guy is bullshido. As far as I can tell, mostly a bunch of ex TKD clowns who have made the transition to the latest cash making fads in their eyes.

Grapplers Domain may have been there at one time, but they are not now. They are now in a new facility at:

1300 W Whitestone Blvd Suite C
    Cedar Park, Texas 78613

Ray Parra is running his school in San Marcos now I believe, but Academy of Martial Arts, run by his partner Adam Ganshirt (also certified under Chai) is indeed probably the best place for MT on the north side. Adam and his girlfriend Linda Tenberg (former pro boxer under Richard Lord) turn out some game guys. For your boxing you probably want Bruce's KO on the north side, South Austin gym for downtown, or out east if you want to bang a lot, Montopolis Rec. For MT downtown/south, South Austin Gym is a safe bet.

Rudy Vasquez merged his gym with South Austin Gym, he teaches part of the time there and also some privates, but is now working as the main MMA inspector for the TX Dept of Licensing and Regulation. You have the benefit of several active fighters teaching and training there, including FFC/XFC/Renegades lightweight champ and K-1 World Max vet Nick Gonzalez, Renegades heavyweight champ and Golden Gloves champ Matt Thompson.

1bad65 - The BJJ classes are done by Ernesto and Travis, purples under Rolles Gracie, correct?

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 8:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes Arclight, thats correct. They also both have MMA experience too.

About Grappler's Domain, Matt KO'd their grappling instructor in under a minute in a fight.

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 1:01pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by winnersguard
    ...I'm also curious who he trained with for BJJ...
    Who cares who they trained under...point is do they know what they are doing...I'm afraid BJJ is turning into Wing Chun, with all this lineage crap...

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sempai, its not about lineage wars, its a question of if he trained at all and how long, etc. It's not a 'my teacher is better than yours' issue. If they have a bs resume, guys who trained before will know its bs, its that guys with no experience may think a bs artist is a great, properly trained instructor.

The old Tiger Clay thread is a perfect example. That asshole went to a legit school for a few lessons and then was calling himself a purple belt. Thats why people ask about who trained under who.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 9:29am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He specifically claimed BJJ. This means if he is claiming to teach it he will come from 1 lineage. It only goes back less than a century and 1 family started the art eventually it will lead back to them. Me throwing punches and kicks with a few yellow belts or attending some weekend seminars does not make me trained in and able to teach tae kwon do. Hence the inquiry. There is no disrespect intended, just looking for some answers in order to respond honestly and in good faith to the op.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The the tangent discussion of needing the stinkin' badges can be found here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54402
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast