Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 10:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goofy Old Boxing Stances

This is something that's been bothering me for a long time, and I think you guys might be the best people to explain it to me. When I look at old boxing pictures, they stand and hold their fists very differently than modern-day boxers do. Why? I know it has something to do with the ruleset, or gloves, or something like that, but I haven't been able to find a good answer anywhere.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search function n00b!

Anyway, it had a lot to do with the lack of gloves to use as sheilds against punches, along with different rulesets and strategies.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have searched, but I have not found. Could you direct me to something? -beseeching turtle-

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 11:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out this thread, I don't know how accurate it is. But it's the only one I remember off the top of my head:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19088

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 3:13am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has to do with both the evolving ruleset and the introduction of gloves.

It's worth noting that there's no known linear/historical connection between ancient Graeco-Roman boxing sports and the revival of bare-fist fighting in England during the 1700s, but that various forms of bare-fist fighting were practiced throughout Italy between the 12th and 17th centuries.

Ken Pfrenger's article (reproduced in the first post of the thread linked to above) is a good summary; briefly;

1) the earliest British bare-knuckle style (late 1600s>onwards, London Prize Ring rules) allowed standing grappling (hence relatively low stance, extended guard and comparative lack of infighting punches)

2) when grappling was outlawed and gloves were mandated (Marquis of Queensberry rules, 1867) the stance and hand position evolved to accommodate a wider range of close-quarters punches, gradually leading towards a transitional phase between the old school BKB-derived style and the beginnings of the modern style. Note that despite the MoQ rules, professional prize-fights continued under the old bare-knuckle rules for some time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 4:02am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The old boxing stances remind me a lot of the Wing Chun I used to do. Shame it kind of got watered down from a form of boxing from Yong Chun. I mean like they both stood more heavily on the back leg in an upright stance, had both fists out in front, one hand in more and one out further. They punched vertically for almost all strikes, for safety and also hit with flat fists not the big 2 knuckles as is taught in TKD (the big 2 = higher chance of broken bones). Half your bodies bones are in the hands and feet.

It occurred to me traditional boxing with those stances, simple throws, simple kicks, simple grappling could be an excellent form of self defense. And it might be an idea to have a TMA form of MMA which deals with self defense aspects of not hurting yourself when doing it around the metaphoric lava. Also I have a friend who is a doctor in an emergency room of a hospital who said a hell of a lot of fight injuries are broken hands. Safety in the execution of techniques is critical.
    Last edited by Lefty; 4/29/2007 4:11am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 5:55am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a theory (no proof AFAIK, just speculation) that BKB may have influenced Wing Chun at some point. Certainly, there are some strong similarities between classical WC and European bare-knuckle pugilism of the 1800s.

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 4:47pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here we go, another Wing Chun thread.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    There is a theory (no proof AFAIK, just speculation) that BKB may have influenced Wing Chun at some point. Certainly, there are some strong similarities between classical WC and European bare-knuckle pugilism of the 1800s.
    Do you have any links to this info. I would be interesting in reading it, even if it isn't true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 5:05pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we're all looking a little too deep into this.

If it worked at the time, then why NOT use it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast