55 75.34%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2014 12:48am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    That's kind of hard on the internet and is once again an illogical demand since so many claims are impossible to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    It's not hard at all, especially on the internet. At least, it's not hard when you make a claim with substance.

Well, the pic I believe was from Rage in the Cage, so... yeah. What else do you call people who do that? Mixed Martial Artists? Ok... but then you'd have to explain why cage fighter isn't just as good of a defeinition, since they're describin the same thing, only using different terms.
    If he was in rage in the cage he will have a sherdog fighter profile, you could look him up. You have his gym, you have an approximate date. You know what he looks like.

You're the one who wants us to think he was an experienced cage fighter, you tell me why you used this "defeinition".

Also your sidestepping of the sparring vs fighting discussion is noted.

Since when have I made any appeals to any authority?!
    Since your first post in this thread.

Wow, do you guys even have any clue what logical fallacies are and how to point them out,
    Yes

or are you just looking some up on the internet?
    So we're projecting now too?

A serious forum...riiiight.
    This is the investigative forum of the site. Yes it is serious. You want to joke around, go to the YMAS or trollshido forums.

LOL! You guys are turning a mole hill into a mountain. Out of every single thing I said, you continue to harp on about something so insignificant compared with the entire substance of my comments.
    In order to harp on about the substance of your comments, there would first need to be some.

LOL Oh wow. I made one tiny assumption
    No, that was only one of the assumptions you made.

(By the way, that's called making an assumption, not changing my story. Big difference.) that he had several matches. Many people who do this kind of thing fight more than one match, so sue me. If that's all ya got, you got nothing.
    Another convenient "defeinition"? See, you post reasoning like this^ and then have the temerity to question other people's use of logic?!
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/25/2014 12:55am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do, we really need to bust out the dictionary and explain the different definitions of attack, especially when pertaining to a debate?.......Really?
    Wow, it was sarcastic, I INFORMED you I was using "attack" in relation to a debate.
    So, nope, you took it wrong.

Last word to you, in trollshido. Damn, that was quick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 2:39pm

Style: Submission Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to address Goldust's review of the school. Having not actually viewed a class at this location myself I'm not doubting what this reviewer saw. I am skeptical, however, that he/she can deduce from watching a single sparring session all of the skills practitioners of the art possess. Of course, it could also be that this particular location does not have quite the quality of instruction as I received

I just thought that I would step in here to address this since I’m the one that got the ball rolling with my original review.

I’ve been training in martial arts of one form or another for the better part of 25 years. I have a 12-1 mma record, and ran my own grappling/mma gym for ten years. I stand by everything that I stated in my original review and everything that I’ve added to that since then. While I only personally witnessed one class given my previous experience and training I can tell good from bad, I’m sorry but this was bad.

I know someone who trained there for a good year and discussed the training with them at length. I know of at least three people who stopped in there and watched them training after having read my account and everyone of them told me afterward that my description was not only accurate but that, if anything, I had been kind to them in my review.

Feel free to go down there and draw your own conclusions. But don’t go down there thinking that you’ll have the opportunity to actually spar anyone full contact. Troy will never let that happen. He’ll happily discuss his theories with you but only the regular students/true believers in his system will get the opportunity to do any kind of what they call “sparring”. Contrast that with most boxing, kickboxing, grappling or mma schools who generally don’t have any problem with someone who wants to come in and spar/roll. Draw your own conclusions as to why this is unlikely to be the case for Reality Defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 9:53pm

Style: Reality Based Martial Art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Goldust,

Thanks for your reply. I've since been down to the school but only took the free intro class and wasn't able to see any sparring. If I get a chance I'll ask about watching or participating in the sparring class. I've been talking to a long time instructor of mine about this, who trained guys from that school. He said they were not good fighters and failed to learn a lot of the details and more advanced concepts.

My intro class was pretty basic. The way they teach the individual blocking/ parrying skills doesn't seem to be very practical. A good powerful hook would likely smash through their outside block. While I think the theories are good, they don't seem as if they've successfully been able to carry those theories over into practical application. From what I've been told Troy did not learn much of the advanced material and hated hard contact, which seem to explain many of the issues at the school. Again, that's a shame. Oh... and the attempted kidnapping charge mentioned in an earlier post is true. I was told the whole story the other day. I was shocked to say the least. It sounded like a story from a tv drama.

My reasoning for commenting was only to ensure that those reading these forums were not mislead by this poor representation of the art.

You're welcome to come train and we can share techniques, drill, spar, or whatever else, if you'd like. You can also see the art as it was meant to be taught.

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2014 3:44pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I get a chance I'll ask about watching or participating in the sparring class. I've been talking to a long time instructor of mine about this, who trained guys from that school. He said they were not good fighters and failed to learn a lot of the details and more advanced concepts.
    I'm glad to hear that someone from Bullshido finally got the chance to go down there and see for themselves and report back here about the experience.

In my opinion there isn't a chance in hell that Troy will let you participate in a sparring class especially once he finds out about your previous training. I'd love to hear what he has to say if you approach him about it.

While I think the theories are good, they don't seem as if they've successfully been able to carry those theories over into practical application.
    That was my general impression as well. Conceptually what they were doing didn't sound all that bad. The problem is that actions speak louder than words and what they said and how they trained were at odds. I did not see anything that could or would prepare you to adequately defend yourself against a marginally skilled or motivated attacker.

Add to that the nonsense that he and his students were spewing about how they "Couldn't be taken down, takedowns don't work against us…we have ways of striking that no one in the world knows, except for us…it only takes five pounds of pressure to remove an ear, etc." After hearing that kind of stuff and seeing how they trained it made it hard for me to take their claims of what they could and would do in a "real" fight very seriously.

You're welcome to come train and we can share techniques, drill, spar, or whatever else, if you'd like. You can also see the art as it was meant to be taught.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm older than I'd care to admit and these days I'm not doing too much training anymore. Like I used to tell the young guys when I still had my gym, when you're young you think that you'll train forever and can't understand why anyone would ever stop training. But believe it or not eventually as you get older you start getting burned out on it. Especially when it becomes something that you have to do rather than something that you just want to do.

I was in contact recently with one of my old students who started up with me when he was 16 years old. He''s living in California now and fighting pro. He was lamenting how training isn't like it was when he was training with me and it was all fun and games and we we're just having a good time. Now he's training at Uriah Faber's gym trying to make a living at fighting training with a bunch of other guys who are in the same boat. The reality that it's no longer fun anymore but work (and a very difficult way to make a living at that)
    is starting to set in for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2014 8:02am

Style: Reality Based Martial Art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the long delay. Thanks for the reply. I know that feeling. I'm in my mid-30's and don't feel my endurance is quite as good, but I'm working on it, and hopefully I can get back to where I was in my 20's with enough hard work. Take care.
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021