223503 Bullies, 3725 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: After some minor talk with the owner, Reality Defense is:

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not a bullshit school

    2 2.74%
  • Kind of a bullshit school

    16 21.92%
  • Bullshit school-not recommended by bullshido

    55 75.34%
Results 181 to 190 of 206
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 2021 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. DCM079 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 8:40pm


     Style: Reality Based Martial Art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It Is Fake,

    What else can I say? I provided the facts about what happened. I mentioned the name of the school. I just don't remember his name and I didn't think about asking his record. If I were psychic and I knew years later that I'd be grilled about this guy I met once and sparred with for like 10 minutes, maybe I would have, but I didn't, sorry. Take it or leave it, because that's all of the information I can provide and it's ridiculous to demand I do for the reasons I've stated.

    Thanks.
  2. lionknight is offline
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,177

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 9:05pm


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    Hi Lionknight.

    I'm not sure if you're familiar with Carl Sagan or not but he was a famous scientist who coined a very famous saying that I think you ought to heed in this discussion: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

    I sparred a cage fighter who likely was not famous, you've probably never heard of him, and you want absolute proof of this happening, and all of the events that transpired. This is not an extraordinary claim. I think it is entirely illogical on your part since there is no way I could prove that. However, I don't see what is so hard to believe. As I said, this is not an extraordinary claim, therefore I don't need to provide extraordinary evidence (even assuming I had any). Now, on the other hand, if I said I sparred at beat Royce Gracie or some UFC fighter *that* would require some extraordinary evidence. Skepticism is good, but if you're too skeptical it can cause problems. Case in point: your unreasonable skepticism about my story.

    I don't doubt he'd say the same thing.

    Moving on...

    You mentioned having other questions. What might those be?

    Thanks.
    lmao - Please explain to me how my skepticism is "unreasonable" - You have made a claim with no way to verify it. Your whole ramble about famous or not famous does not do it.

    Until we can cover this question reasonably, I don't really see a need to go after you with other questions. Besides IIF has already broken down your post(s) and your just digging a deeper hole anyways.

    Maybe you should investigate what IIF mentioned is a logical fallacy.
  3. DCM079 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 9:11pm


     Style: Reality Based Martial Art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It Is Fake,

    You wrote, "You haven't been to the school, so you cannot make this assessment."

    First off, I plan on it. I can't be blamed for not being able to get a hold of anyone yet. Second, this comment is very odd and doesn't seem to make any sense because my comments on Goldust's review did precisely what you claim I can't do: comment on any changes to this splinter school. On the contrary, I noted how the splinter school's stance according to Goldust has the majority of body weight on the lead leg. I commented that the weight should be distributed between both legs equally. I also commented on the brief knife fighting clip and gave my opinions on that. I also noted how there is clinch and ground grappling in the art, unlike what Goldust asserted. Those are just three examples from the entire write up. Perhaps you should read my comments prior to commenting about them?

    My experience at another school is directly relevant because I'm so familiar with the techniques, drills, and philosophy behind what's being done and why. I can make fairly accurate judgments based upon what others say and the videos I've watched and can say exactly what has been changed.

    You wrote, "It isn't a stretch, you attacked his critique and review. Do, we really need to bust out the dictionary and explain the different definitions of attack, especially when pertaining to a debate?.......Really?"

    Ummm... OK, let's do that. At http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/attack the word attack is defined as:

    1. to set upon in a forceful, violent, hostile, or aggressive way, with or without a weapon; begin fighting with: He attacked him with his bare hands.
    2. to begin hostilities against; start an offensive against: to attack the enemy.
    3. to blame or abuse violently or bitterly.
    4. to direct unfavorable criticism against; criticize severely; argue with strongly: He attacked his opponent's statement.
    5. to try to destroy, especially with verbal abuse: to attack the mayor's reputation.

    Throughout my response I continually gave Goldust the benefit of the doubt. I did not call him any names. I did not respond in any kind of "aggressive" or "hostile" manner whatsoever. Nor did I "blame" him for anything. All I did was politely explain how I was trained versus what he saw at the school. How you can call this an 'attack' boggles my mind.

    You wrote, "That's fine, you still critiqued and attacked his comments based on antiquated knowledge you possessed. It negates nothing I said not the irony of you saying one class isn't enough, but zero with this instructor and 15 years with an art is okay."

    Sorry, there was no attack. I was polite throughout the entire response and never called anyone any names, nor questioned what he saw. I gave him the benefit of the doubt each and every time. See my first comment above.

    "You have no clue who you fought, whether they were a cage fighter or if they were a judoka who attempted to fight in MMA. Spar does not equal fight. I do not claim to "best" another art when we spar."

    I don't really know what else you would have me do. Should I have challenged him to a no-rules street fight? No, that's insane. I just wanted to go train with them and I did and I reported the outcome of that brief exchange. Period.

    Finally, this final argument about "besting" another art in sparring makes no sense because other than a no-rules street fight what other contest could we participate in to determine who was better? And even the UFC itself is more like a hardcore sparring match than a street fight, which is pretty much what we did. Striking was allowed, grappling was allowed, and it was a controlled situation, just like in the UFC. That's the closest we could have come to for testing each other's skills realistically. As I said, what would you rather have me do? Jump him in the parking lot in a fight to the death? Lol :- )
  4. DCM079 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 9:19pm


     Style: Reality Based Martial Art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    lmao - Please explain to me how my skepticism is "unreasonable" - You have made a claim with no way to verify it. Your whole ramble about famous or not famous does not do it.

    Until we can cover this question reasonably, I don't really see a need to go after you with other questions. Besides IIF has already broken down your post(s) and your just digging a deeper hole anyways.

    Maybe you should investigate what IIF mentioned is a logical fallacy.
    Hi there. Broke what down again? Nope, sorry. All I saw were silly accusations about "attacks," something I never did, and being unable to critique what Goldust wrote about what he saw, which I am perfectly capable of it, as I explained to him in response just now.

    Yes, I said that too much skepticism is not helpful. Reasonable claims that are not far fetched requite a much smaller burden of proof compared to ones that are far fetched. The story I related was not far fetched. As I said, had I made the claim that I beat a UFC fighter I would expect you to doubt that because it is a highly spectacular claim. However, all I'm saying is that I sparred someone many years ago whom I didn't bother to ask him about his training or record. We just began sparring after I asked him if he'd like to. This kind of thing happens in schools all over the US. Therefore, there is no logical reason to disbelieve what I say.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by DCM079; 3/24/2014 9:31pm at .
  5. cualltaigh is online now
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,358

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 9:56pm


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    Reasonable claims that are not far fetched requite a much smaller burden of proof compared to ones that are far fetched.
    You haven't provided any proof of your claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    However, all I'm saying is that I sparred someone many years ago whom I didn't bother to ask him about his training or record.
    No, here's a reminder of what you did claim:

    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    I sparred one of the students who had been in several cage matches
    Right.

    Your equivocation of sparring and fighting is also hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    Therefore, there is no logical reason to disbelieve what I say.
    Given that we only have your word to go by, you are unable/unwilling to back up simple checkable facts to corroborate your story and you have a tendency to (try to) change your story/facts to suit your needs there is every reason to disbelieve you and no logical reason to believe you.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  6. DCM079 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 10:23pm


     Style: Reality Based Martial Art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cualltaigh,

    You wrote, “You haven't provided any proof of your claims.”

    I provided the name of the school. The people who were there were Dusty and Michelle, but since this was so long ago it's highly doubtful they're even still there. Other than that, I don't have a sworn testimony, nor a video tape, nor a sperm sample, nor a DNA sample of the person I sparred. As I said, it's absurd to ask for proof for such a mundane claim. I sparred a guy... Wow! Bring in the detectives!

    Your wrote, “Right. Your equivocation of sparring and fighting is also hilarious.”

    This is very odd. There are large differences between a real fight and a cage match. Please enlighten me on the differences or similarities. As for knowing he was in some cage matches, I think the large picture I saw of him on the wall punching a guy in a cage was a pretty good indicator. Lol

    You said, “Given that we only have your word to go by, you are unable/unwilling to back up simple checkable facts to corroborate your story and you have a tendency to (try to) change your story/facts to suit your needs there is every reason to disbelieve you and no logical reason to believe you.”

    I have provided the name of the school and in this post I added a few details about who was there. Like I said, what more can I possibly provide? Your standards of proof are unreasonable and impossible, therefore they are illogical and it is pointless for you to continue to beat a dead horse.

    I've said all I possibly can on this matter. If there is anything else you'd like to discuss I'm all for it.

    You say, "Given that we only have your word to go by, you are unable/unwilling to back up simple checkable facts to corroborate your story and you have a tendency to (try to) change your story/facts to suit your needs there is every reason to disbelieve you and no logical reason to believe you."

    Huh? Change my story? Wow... First a very polite review I have written is called an "attack" and now I've somehow managed to "change my story." Here is the paragraph verbatim from my comments on Goldust's review:

    “Once again, I don't see how making generalizations such as this is anywhere close to fair. To give a personal example, several years ago I went to visit my old judo school (which also taught kickboxing) after I'd been training in this reality-based art for a number of years. I sparred one of the students who had been in several cage matches and he wasn't able to hit me, or take me to the ground. When he tried to shoot in, I stuffed his takedowns with the techniques I learned in this reality-based art and punched him in the face several times.”

    Please show me where I changed my story. As I've said over and over, it's kind of hard to provide you with the information since I don't remember and I didn't ask.

    To repeat: I've said all I possibly can on this matter. If there is anything else you'd like to discuss I'm all for it.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by DCM079; 3/24/2014 10:28pm at .
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,899

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 10:26pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next time review the school instead of attacking the review.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/attack
    1at�tack
    verb \ə-ˈtak\

    : to act violently against (someone or something) : to try to hurt, injure, or destroy (something or someone)

    : to criticize (someone or something) in a very harsh and severe way

    : to begin to work on or deal with (something, such as a problem) in a determined and eager way


    transitive verb
    1
    : to set upon or work against forcefully

    2
    : to assail with unfriendly or bitter words
    3
    : to begin to affect or to act on injuriously <plants attacked by aphids>
    4
    : to set to work on <attack a problem>

    5
    : to threaten (a piece in chess) with immediate capture
    Now, I will give you examples of what I spent my entire college career studying:
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/...en-an-argument
    One of the classic ways to attack an argument is to attack the premises on which the conclusion rests.
    http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/reason2d.html
    one should be sure to attack a person’s argument rather than the person.
    You ATTACKED the conclusion GL drew from watching one class. You then wrote the equivalent of a short essay agreeing and refuting some of his points. Guess what? That's you critiquing/attacking his argument and his conclusion.

    Are we on the same page yet? Oh and do stop lying. I NEVER told you not to comment, pass judgment or any other bullshit strawman you can create from my words. I attacked your conclusion, as faulty, because you watched videos, didn't visit the school and felt GL was attacking the entire art. You then went all over the place and here we are arguing semantics.
  8. DCM079 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 10:45pm


     Style: Reality Based Martial Art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It Is Fake,

    I find it interesting how you believe you're psychic since you believe you are able to determine what my emotional state and reasons were at the time I wrote my comments. I was neither “determined” nor “eager.” I was actually just bored one day, came here, found the thread, read some comments and decided to write my thoughts. Where is the eagerness in that? I'm sorry, you're really stretching it by calling what I wrote an "attack," since what I did fits no definition you can find, nor did I have any malicious intent.

    Finally, I did not attack his premise in the least. What were his premises? He said he visited the school and watched a sparring match. I did not doubt his claims. As a matter of fact, I gave him the benefit of the doubt throughout the entire comment.

    I'm a little tired of dealing with beat horses today. Care to move on to another topic or question? I think I'm done with this one as well, since none of you have been able to rationally argue your case.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by DCM079; 3/24/2014 10:56pm at .
  9. lionknight is offline
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,177

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 10:54pm


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    It Is Fake,

    I find it interesting how you believe you're psychic since you believe you are able to determine what my emotional state and reasons were at the time I wrote my comments. I was neither “determined” nor “eager.” I was actually just bored one day, came here, found the thread, read some comments and decided to write my thoughts. Where is the eagerness in that? I'm sorry, you're really stretching it by calling what I wrote an "attack," since what I did fits no definition you can find, nor did I have any malicious intent.

    I'm a little tired of dealing with beat horses today. Care to move on to another topic or question? I think I'm done with this one as well, since none of you have been able to rationally argue your case.

    Thanks.
    It's funny how guys who can't back their **** up always claim that others have a fault in logic.

    I can find some links where this has played out before on this very site.... Oh look an MMA guy took me down and I just bit his leg and he let me up I tell you…who was that guy… oh no I’m not going to tell you that… but you know he was a high level guy let me tell you… nope can’t give his name… and on and on.

    I was willing to give you a chance but honestly your an idiot.
  10. DCM079 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    3/24/2014 11:00pm


     Style: Reality Based Martial Art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Typically the one who can't find fault with another's arguments and must resort to ad hominem (that's “to the man” in Latin, or a personal attack, against the other debater, to you) is the one who has lost the debate. Case in point:

    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    I was willing to give you a chance but honestly your an idiot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.