Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 192021 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 2:36pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM079 View Post
    -snip-

Once again, I don't see how making generalizations such as this is anywhere close to fair. To give a personal example, several years ago I went to visit my old judo school (which also taught kickboxing) after I'd been training in this reality-based art for a number of years. I sparred one of the students who had been in several cage matches and he wasn't able to hit me, or take me to the ground. When he tried to shoot in, I stuffed his takedowns with the techniques I learned in this reality-based art and punched him in the face several times.
    -
    -snip-
    When ever I see the above:

If he was a cage fighter then he must have a record, please provide the name of the fighter. A simple thing that almost nobody in your position ever does. It will go a long way to helping us believe you.

Their are other things in your post I would like to go ever but lets start simple first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 2:55pm

Style: Reality Based Martial Art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi lionknight,

Cool name.

I'm sorry, this took place almost ten years ago so I don't remember his name and didn't ask about his record. I just asked to spar, we did, and that's what happened. All I recall is that I saw a picture of him in a cage match on top of someone else and was hitting him. This took place at my old judo school where Christophe Leninger taught.

By the way, are posts ALWAYS moderated prior to being posted? Or is this just for "noobs?" If so, how long does it take to get out of "noob" status because it's kind of annoying and I don't see the point.

Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 5:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I explained it in your noob thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2014 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Your posts have been approved.

1) The irony of you admonishing someone for visiting a school once, when you haven't visited AT ALL, is ridiuclous.

2) Next time review the school instead of attacking the review.

3) Good lord, why does EVERY person that trains or supports a certain school or art, ALWAYS beat a"cage fighter?" Their anecdotes can never work on someone from judo, kung fu, karate or a "street fighter, but ALWAYS work perfectly on a sport fighter.

You know the art, you do not know the changes that have been made or what has been altered. It's quite silly to tell someone to stop generalizing about something you haven't experienced. Nope, knowing the base art doesn't mean you can speak on an off shot school.
    First, my reply to your inital response that was not posted for some reason:

Hi It Is Fake,

Thank you for approving my posts. I was beginning to wonder if there was an issue with the system.

You stated, “The irony of you admonishing someone for visiting a school, when you haven't visited is ridiuclous.”

My review was more about Goldust's misperceptions about the art because it appears that the teacher at this location does not teach it correctly, nor all of its aspects. More importantly, I think watching a single sparring class and a few short clips and believing this is all practitioners of the art do is contained in these brief moments in time is representative of all of the training that takes place is misguided and is jumping to conclusions.

You said, “Next time review the school instead of attacking the review.”

I'm not “attacking” anyone. I believe it's a stretch to call it an “attack” when I simply addressed some of the reviewer's complaints. I should note too, that I agreed with a lot of his review. I've also been trying to make an appointment for about the last week but have been unable to get a hold of anyone at the school. I even drove down there but no one was there at the time. I'll keep trying.

Finally, “Good lord, why does EVERY person that trains or supports a certain school or art, ALWAYS beat a"cage fighter?" Their techniques can never work on someone from judo, kung fu, karate or a "street fighter., but ALWAYS work on a sport fighter.”

I just wanted to provide an example of these techniques working against someone who has fought in that arena. I've also sparred and bested Kenpo guys and a kickboxer/BJJ fighter a number of years ago.

Second, where is this noob thread you're talking about?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    This is from RDT's official youtube account:

You really only need to watch the first 11 seconds....

So reading these first two screens 20% of the population will be attacked, and 40% of that 20% will die as a result of those attacks...

So the murder rate in the US as jumped from 4.8/100,000 to 8,000/100,000 since 2010?

Somehow I doubt this.
    I watched several of the videos. I like the fact that they use the Redman suits a lot. However, as far as self defense goes, I didn't see much. I saw small women standing up and duking it out with much larger men, even to the point of doing some "ground and pound" (isn't that an MMA thing?). Too much striking, and not enough grappling.

If the point of the training was to get used to contact, to be aggressive, etc., I can see some point to what they were doing. However, as one tends to perform as one trains, they can do a lot better.

I've been doing Judo for a long time, and I'm not going to stand and swing at some big SOB, especially when my striking skills are not well developed (although better than any of the ladies in the videos I watched). One good or partially good shot and I'm toast, and I know it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 10:46am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi lionknight,

Cool name.

I'm sorry, this took place almost ten years ago so I don't remember his name and didn't ask about his record. I just asked to spar, we did, and that's what happened. All I recall is that I saw a picture of him in a cage match on top of someone else and was hitting him. This took place at my old judo school where Christophe Leninger taught.

By the way, are posts ALWAYS moderated prior to being posted? Or is this just for "noobs?" If so, how long does it take to get out of "noob" status because it's kind of annoying and I don't see the point.

Thanks.
    So your evidence is a sparring session that took place almost 10 years ago, you remember that he couldn't even touch you, you remember the exact move you used to stop him from taking you down, you remember that he was a cage fighter because of a picture you just happen to see on the wall... but you can't remember his name. So basically you remember everything you need to back up your story minus the whole part that would let everyone know it is true.

That's some pretty nice (selective) memory you have their.

If the whole situation did even take place what do you want to bet the "cage fighter" would have a COMPLETELY different take on how your sparring went?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Lionknight.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Carl Sagan or not but he was a famous scientist who coined a very famous saying that I think you ought to heed in this discussion: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

I sparred a cage fighter who likely was not famous, you've probably never heard of him, and you want absolute proof of this happening, and all of the events that transpired. This is not an extraordinary claim. I think it is entirely illogical on your part since there is no way I could prove that. However, I don't see what is so hard to believe. As I said, this is not an extraordinary claim, therefore I don't need to provide extraordinary evidence (even assuming I had any). Now, on the other hand, if I said I sparred at beat Royce Gracie or some UFC fighter <i>that</i> would require some extraordinary evidence. Skepticism is good, but if you're too skeptical it can cause problems. Case in point: your skepticism about my story.

I don't doubt he'd say the same thing.

Moving on... You mentioned having other questions. What might those be?

Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 1:14pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My review was more about Goldust's misperceptions about the art because it appears that the teacher at this location does not teach it correctly,
    You haven't been to the school, so you cannot make this assessment.

I'm not “attacking” anyone. I believe it's a stretch to call it an “attack” when I simply addressed some of the reviewer's complaints. I should note too, that I agreed with a lot of his review.
    It isn't a stretch, you attacked his critique and review. Do, we really need to bust out the dictionary and explain the different definitions of attack, especially when pertaining to a debate?.......Really?

I've also been trying to make an appointment for about the last week but have been unable to get a hold of anyone at the school. I even drove down there but no one was there at the time. I'll keep trying.
    That's fine, you still critiqued and attacked his comments based on antiquated knowledge you possessed. It negates nothing I said not the irony of you saying one class isn't enough, but zero with this instructor and 15 years with an art is okay.
    I just wanted to provide an example of these techniques working against someone who has fought in that arena. I've also sparred and bested Kenpo guys and a kickboxer/BJJ fighter a number of years ago.
    You have no clue who you fought, whether they were a cage fighter or if they were a judoka who attempted to fight in MMA. Spar does not equal fight. I do not claim to "best" another art when we spar.

Second, where is this noob thread you're talking about?
    The one you started when this wasn't approved. It is in NEWBIETOWN, therefore I called it a "noob thread."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Lionknight.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Carl Sagan or not but he was a famous scientist who coined a very famous saying that I think you ought to heed in this discussion: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

I sparred a cage fighter who likely was not famous, you've probably never heard of him, and you want absolute proof of this happening, and all of the events that transpired. This is not an extraordinary claim. I think it is entirely illogical on your part since there is no way I could prove that. However, I don't see what is so hard to believe. As I said, this is not an extraordinary claim, therefore I don't need to provide extraordinary evidence (even assuming I had any). Now, on the other hand, if I said I sparred at beat Royce Gracie or some UFC fighter *that* would require some extraordinary evidence. Skepticism is good, but if you're too skeptical it can cause problems. Case in point: your unreasonable skepticism about my story.

I don't doubt he'd say the same thing.

Moving on...

You mentioned having other questions. What might those be?

Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2014 8:23pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Lionknight.

I sparred a cage fighter who likely was not famous, you've probably never heard of him, and you want absolute proof of this happening, and all of the events that transpired. This is not an extraordinary claim. I think it is entirely illogical on your part since there is no way I could prove that. However, I don't see what is so hard to believe. As I said, this is not an extraordinary claim, therefore I don't need to provide extraordinary evidence (even assuming I had any). Now, on the other hand, if I said I sparred at beat Royce Gracie or some UFC fighter <i>that</i> would require some extraordinary evidence. Skepticism is good, but if you're too skeptical it can cause problems. Case in point: your skepticism about my story.
    Interesting attempt to use a logical fallacy to turn this around on Lionknight. Please, this is my field, don't make me break down how and why.