Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 4:38pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumito View Post
    Similar to all of the comments about the ferocious five, the comments about our grappling defense are taken without any direct knowledge of what is or will be taught.
    I'll agree that this is a valid point, I haven't seen what RDT teaches in it's "Ground Fighting and Grappling Defense" course first hand. However given Troy, and his students, largely dismissive and overall disparaging comments regarding sport fighting in general, and grappling arts in particular, I have every reason to believe that it's cornerstone will be built around the "Ferocious Five" or some variation thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:09pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldust View Post
    I'll agree that this is a valid point, I haven't seen what RDT teaches in it's "Ground Fighting and Grappling Defense" course first hand. However given Troy, and his students, largely dismissive and overall disparaging comments regarding sport fighting in general, and grappling arts in particular, I have every reason to believe that it's cornerstone will be built around the "Ferocious Five" or some variation thereof.
    It just smells like the same old ANTIGRAPPLE.

Sorry, but to say that RDT can neutralize techniques that take literally 6-10 years to master (about how long it takes to get a grappling BB) with five easy techniques just stinks of bullshit.

And that is what the RDT system is saying.

And I find that wholly arrogant and ignorant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Goldust, As usual, there is no context given to the quote by you, someone that has been unwilling to come in and work out with us, even after being given every opportunity to see what we do.
    Unless the system being taught has changed dramatically since the day I watched the "sparring"
    class, there isn't a whole lot of reason for me to go over there again. (In all fairness the class that I watched was quite a few years ago, RDT was still at it's old location on Cave Creek Road). I saw all that I needed to see back then, the "sparring" that I saw looked about like what is at the end of the youtube video that I posted.

I've trained in martial arts in one form or another for over twenty years now (Aikido, JJJ, Boxing, BJJ, Submission Grappling, 12-1 mma record). I don't claim to know it all, but I'm pretty sure that I've forgotten more about grappling than Troy knows. It's doubtful whether he has anything to teach me regarding striking either. That's not meant as a knock against Troy either, I just figure that after this amount of time I have, or at least should have, a pretty good grasp of what I'm doing in the gym.

Despite how it may have sounded, I don't really have any problem with Troy or RDT either. I've spoken to him several times many years ago and in person he seemed like a nice enough guy who was very enthusiastic about what he was doing. Believe it or not I've even referred people to him in the past as well. My wife even trained there for a while before she got too busy with work and finally wasn't able to make it in anymore.

My problem was with the "we can't be taken down, grappling doesn't work against us, our method of striking is superior to boxing, when in doubt just eye gouge your way out" stuff that was being preached there (at least at that time). In effect, "We can kick all those silly sport fighters asses because they won't be able to counter our deadly tactics." Basically the same old street vs. sports argument that's been beaten to death for years now. I used to hear some of the same stuff back when I trained in Aikido and JJJ, I didn't buy into it then and I sure as hell don't buy into it now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 5:38pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of that has anything to do with my perspectives on the crap that is taught today at MMA schools for someone that is worried about a home invasion or brutal attack.
    If a home invasion or something of that nature is what you are concerned about/trying to be prepared for, then you don't need martial arts, what you really need is a handgun and a concealed carry permit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 7:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bad at self defense and math?

This is from RDT's official youtube account:

You really only need to watch the first 11 seconds....

1 out of 5 people will be attacked.
    4 out of 10 will not survive.
    So reading these first two screens 20% of the population will be attacked, and 40% of that 20% will die as a result of those attacks...

So the murder rate in the US as jumped from 4.8/100,000 to 8,000/100,000 since 2010?

Somehow I doubt this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fear based marketing at its finest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 2:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldust View Post
    Fear based marketing at its finest.
    Are you a man?
    Are you a woman?
    Do you drink Cola?
    Have you ever watched the Simpsons?

If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, there is a 92% chance that you are 87% likely to be Attacked and DIE!!

Dont you owe it to your family and loved ones to do all that is possible to stay alive? Dont you want to support your children, dont you want to LIVE?

Well its your lucky day, for a down payment of just $9.99 and a weekly fee of $12.99 you can learn the most ancient and secret Kung Fu moves known to man, you can learn devastating attacks that even Bruce Lee failed to discover, you can learn the "Fantastic Furious Five" anti Grappling moves that will crush even the most advanced wrestler.

additional classes available -
    The 7 Steps of Hair Pulling - 8 sessions $120
    The Secret FBI approved Face Scratch Technique - 3 sessions WAS $120 now $89.99
    The 11 Ancient Eye Pokes - 5 sessions - $149.99
    How to disarm an unarmed attacker - 3 sessions - Special Rate $49.99

Just Remember, unless you want to DIE! then sign up today for a FREE introduction class for only $14.99

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The R34L REDMAN

For those with ADD, scan to 2:00.

Truly a proper way to get you ready for the d34dly str33tz.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 2:47am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Sumito, if you're still here, one question was running through my head while going through these posts:
    This is a crucifix. It's a fairly common grappling position, from which the dominant player than choke, throw elbows, and hyperextend the spine, all the while keeping both of his opponent's arms trapped.

How the heck is someone going to bite, eye gouge, ear-rip, finger-bend, or groin-grab their way out of that?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 3:36am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the reason you get no takers isn't because everybody is running scared that Troy (who is NOT magically fast, btw, not at all, **** you because that is bullshit) will gouge out their eyes. It's that beating the **** out of phonies becomes more trouble than it's generally worth when they want to pull this ****
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast