Posted On:
    3/27/2012 11:56am

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.realitydefense.com/calendar/

"Ground Fighting and Grappling Defense
    (specialty course)

This course will teach you what to do if a Mixed Martial Artist (MMA) or Ju Jitsu stylist attempts to or successfully takes you to the ground...
    This course will train you want (sic) to do to absolutely stop a ground fighter. You will no longer worry about what you would do if you are taken to the ground. A ground fighter cannot easily succeed if they are busy defending themselves against biting, eye gouging, ear ripping and finger breaking to name a few...$150 per person"

$150 to learn how to bite and eye gouge?! I'd be willing to bet that not one sprawl or proper ground defense/escape will be taught either.
    But I guess that you don't really need any of that kind of stuff when you have introduced the "Ferocious Five" into your arsenal "the five techniques that will work against any attacker to end the confrontation immediately".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 1:40pm

Style: Close Quarters Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Context

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    "That you fight back is more important than how you fight back"???
    As usual, there is no context given to the quote by the commenters. Similar to all of the comments about the ferocious five. Having come from a JKD background and having done my research when I started JKD in 1994, everyone said the same crap about Bruce Lee. It won't work, it can't work, my system is better, etc, etc, etc.

The context is that MMA has transformed into a rules based system without any concern for a survival scenario where I can do anything I want to survive. The rules have eliminated valid surival techniques in every facet of defending yourself, including the much revered BJJ grappling scenarios.

To be clear, I love the Gracies and what they did for the martial arts world. I think Rickson is a beast and a specatcular fighter. None of that has anything to do with my perspectives on the crap that is taught today at MMA schools for someone that is worried about a home invasion or brutal attack. These schools don't address the mental stress and issues involved with self defense. That isn't the business they are in. I don't mind that. What I mind is when people proclaim to be teaching self defense when they are really teaching sport MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Goldust,

As usual, there is no context given to the quote by you, someone that has been unwilling to come in and work out with us, even after being given every opportunity to see what we do. Similar to all of the comments about the ferocious five, the comments about our grappling defense are taken without any direct knowledge of what is or will be taught.

Having come from a JKD background and having done my research when I started JKD in 1994, everyone said the same crap about Bruce Lee. It won't work, it can't work, my system is better, etc, etc, etc.

The context is that MMA has transformed into a rules based system without any concern for a survival scenario where I can do anything I want to survive. The rules have eliminated valid surival techniques in every facet of defending yourself, including the much revered BJJ grappling scenarios.

To be clear, I love the Gracies and what they did for the martial arts world. I think Rickson is a beast and a specatcular fighter. None of that has anything to do with my perspectives on the crap that is taught today at MMA schools for someone that is worried about a home invasion or brutal attack. These schools don't address the mental stress and issues involved with self defense. That isn't the business they are in. I don't mind that. What I mind is when people proclaim to be teaching self defense when they are really teaching sport MMA.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 2:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumito View Post

Having come from a JKD background and having done my research when I started JKD in 1994, everyone said the same crap about Bruce Lee. It won't work, it can't work, my system is better, etc, etc, etc.
    Yes and it worked so well that BL would murder almost all practitioners for turning it into a classical TMA system. No, you didn't do enough research. If you did, you'd know that JKD is not anywhere near what BL wanted out of his Martial Art. By 94 any connection to BL was cursory and the lineage wars were in full swing. Yes, you missed the bus.

Yawn:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ers-video.html
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ycn-10608663
    http://www.cagepotato.com/awesome-st...ag-last-month/http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_838100.html
    http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011...ring-pummeling
    http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html

Let's see these three stories have WEAPONS. Wait let me repeat that, these three stories have WEAPONS. One CHILD used BJJ during a dog attack and held the dog for 20 minutes.
    Damn those MMA fighters using their techniques in the street

Defend your school, but don't use strawman arguments to make a weak sport vs street argument.

Blah Blah Blah I iz angy cuz sport iz uzed in da streetz is a lie.
    Blah Blah Blah. I have just PROVEN that your theory is irrelevant and WRONG. DO I need to include wrestling, Judo, and Boxing? All three are sports and have been used successfully to defend people.

Your context is full of fail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 3:51pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a great thread.

As usual though its all talk.

I want to see Troy defeat an MMA trained opponent of equivalent size.

In fact some kind of video evidence of anyone of Troys students defeating an MMA trained opponent using skills learnt in Troys class.

After reading this entire thread I cant believe people are so genuine in thier defence of eye gouging, throat grabbing etc...its comical.

Sorry, I dont mean to disturb the thread. Continue.

P.S - The benefit of training MMA is the athletic strength and conditioning that comes with it, after seeing that video I find it hard to believe Troys earlier comments about "Running" away. I think the dangers Troy needs to worry about are more likely high cholesterol and heart probelms rather than knife wielding attackers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 3:52pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The context is that MMA has transformed into a rules based system without any concern for a survival scenario where I can do anything I want to survive.
    You can do anything you want, within the confines of the law. Like a lot of RBSD guys, you seem to miss the mark. Even in a self defense scenario there are plenty of rules *you*, as the defender, have to abide by.

The rules have eliminated valid surival techniques in every facet of defending yourself, including the much revered BJJ grappling scenarios.
    You might want to look into Jigaro Kano at some point. He developed Judo - and in doing so removed these techniques. Not because they weren't valid, but because they couldn't be tested against a fully resisting opponent. He realized, all that time ago, that the only techniques that mattered were the ones you could do under pressure. And that the only way you could give yourself some sort of guarantee that you could do them under pressure was to train them on a fully resisting opponent.

None of that has anything to do with my perspectives on the crap that is taught today at MMA schools for someone that is worried about a home invasion or brutal attack. These schools don't address the mental stress and issues involved with self defense. That isn't the business they are in. I don't mind that. What I mind is when people proclaim to be teaching self defense when they are really teaching sport MMA.
    And the difference between sport MMA and self defense is...?

If I can defend myself against a punch in the cage against a trained fighter, I can probably defend myself against a regular joe throwing hands at me in the street.

If I can defend a takedown against a skilled wrestler in the cage, I can probably defend against a half-assed tackle against a former football player in the street.

If I can defend against a rear naked choke in the cage, I can probably defend against a drunk asshole grabbing my throat.

If I can roll a trained fighter who has me in mount and is pounding my face in, I will probably keep my cool and execute while in the street.

What about weapons, right?

If I can spar for thirty minutes in the cage, I can probably outrun most people in the street. And if I see a weapon, my first defense is running-fu.

Incidentally, many of the standard arts within MMA (Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ) are adopted within military combative programs. Furthermore the military has BJJ/MMA tournaments, and supports their guys fighting.

So is our military wrong?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As usual, there is no context given to the quote by the commenters.
    That one was pretty much stand-alone and there is no way to take it out of context.

As for JKD, if Bruce Lee were alive today, he'd be like WTF? His concepts were meant to evolve and change with the times, but his original students have many different ideas on what JKD really is and nobody is in charge, it isn't getting better, and it isn't evolving. Bruce Lee's personal style worked well for Bruce Lee, and though there were those who doubted, he was a pioneer. Gene LeBell refers to Bruce Lee as an entertainer and from what I gather, didn't take JKD seriously. Gene was around back then, and was also a pioneer. I know for a fact that Gene could hold his own, and was a world-class grappler.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the comments.

For a little background. I trained with George Lee, Springfield VA, for two years privately and then in a group setting with Rick Leonard in GJJ. Rick was the defensive tactics instructor at Quantico for the FBI. We brough in Royce and Helio a number of times. As for George, at the time he was the only person in the world, yes I said world, that was a certified instructor by both Ted Wong and Dan Inosanto. He had other certs from Jerry Poteet, Gary Dill, etc but he didn't really put much emphasis on things other than from Danny and Ted. He is former Army and Retired 20 year Secret Service. Also, I trained with Ted and a number of his students, so my lineage is pretty decent and don't feel as if I missed the bus at all.

As for your examples, I have never said that the skills of MMA are junk, nor have I ever disparaged the guys that train in MMA. They are all in excellent condition and based on what they are training for have great skills. Still, the very fact that they don't defend against small joint manipulations, groin attacks or eye attacks leaves them open to a wide variety of street based attacks.

There are thousands of examples on Youtube of "martial arts masters" getting tooled on the street, as we all know. Most MMA schools neglect the visciousness and mental state of a street attacker as compared to the mental state needed to be in the ring. Again, they are training for a sport, so that perspective makes perfect sense.

I've never understood why people feel the need to go all hostile. Again, we have an open door policy and you are welcome to come in and workout and then comment on the validity of our statements. This isn't a challenge or puffing up of the chest. Come down, work out with us for a few weeks, and then come back and report.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi ZenMMA,

I always love the people that comment on Troy's weight. It just shows the limited intellect and general lack of respect in the MMA world. We work out at the gym 3 and 4 days a week, doing strength training and cardio. He is in good shape and is super scary fast. The only other person I have seen with close to his speed was Ted Wong, Bruce Lee's protege, whom I have worked out with a number of times, before he passed away.

We have offered for cage fighters to come in but no takers. The hitch is always the same. When it comes to signing the document about our usage of eye attacks and the risk of losing an eye, along with bites, small joint manipulation and the risk of injury that comes with that, nobody is willing to sign.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 2:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi ZenMMA,

I always love the people that comment on Troy's weight. It just shows the limited intellect and general lack of respect in the MMA world. We work out at the gym 3 and 4 days a week, doing strength training and cardio. He is in good shape and is super scary fast. The only other person I have seen with close to his speed was Ted Wong, Bruce Lee's protege, whom I have worked out with a number of times, before he passed away.

We have offered for cage fighters to come in but no takers. The hitch is always the same. When it comes to signing the document about our usage of eye attacks and the risk of losing an eye, along with bites, small joint manipulation and the risk of injury that comes with that, nobody is willing to sign.
    Almost as fast as Bruce Lee and deadlier than a gun? GTFO. Own your words, which have been disparaging, or STFU.

As for your examples, I have never said that the skills of MMA are junk, nor have I ever disparaged the guys that train in MMA.
    Stop using words you obviously do not understand.
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 ... LastLast