Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 1:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirat
    Can I just post a small piece from the women's defense course page (on training with edged weapons)? This may provide some quick enlightenment:

"Conceptually, the most popular weapon is a firearm. This is an excellent weapon because most people are afraid of them and they possess a definite stopping. The problem with a firearm is that it is typically heavy and bulky, whereas most knives are light and small. It is much easier for a woman to conceal and carry a blade. The blade is a touch weapon. This means that it will require no physical strength to cause tremendous damage and therefore cause an attacker to think twice about attacking again. A blade can actually cut several times with complete silence and with deadly effectiveness. Most people have a fear of being cut and will shun away from a woman wielding a knife with confidence.

Unlike chemical deterrents, a knife will have a positive effect on a person, letting them know that you mean business. Besides, it will truly be unexpected. "

Exhibit A...
    So women should bring knives to gun fights????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 7:18pm

Style: Close Quarters Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello All,

I find this thread interesting as I train at RDT, about 12 weeks now. Having come from a JKD (George Lee (Northern Virginia)), BJJ (Rick Leonard (FBI Defensive Tactics Instructor) and Kali/Escrima/Kali (Sifu Billy Bryant (Cadena de mano)) background, I find the skills and tactics taught at RDT beyond reproach. After evaluating a few schools in the valley, Lions Den, Megaton, Krav Maga and others I decided to train at RDT. The method in which he lays out the principles, and the common delivery pattern are top notch.

Without the usual drama and calling out rhetoric, I would encourage anyone to come to the school and train to see for yourself if the skills have any value. And if you want a more realistic understanding, put on the gloves, mouth piece and bang for a while.

As for the white supremacist comments, they are crazy. We have multiple ethnicities that train at the school on a regular basis, including my step daughter who is half hispanic.

Hope this helps clear up some of the BS.

Sumito - 97 Steps

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/15/2009 12:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumito View Post
    Hello All,

I find this thread interesting as I train at RDT, about 12 weeks now. Having come from a JKD (George Lee (Northern Virginia)), BJJ (Rick Leonard (FBI Defensive Tactics Instructor) and Kali/Escrima/Kali (Sifu Billy Bryant (Cadena de mano)) background, I find the skills and tactics taught at RDT beyond reproach.

Welcome to Bullshido, Sumito

After evaluating a few schools in the valley, Lions Den, Megaton, Krav Maga and others I decided to train at RDT. The method in which he lays out the principles, and the common delivery pattern are top notch.
    That is a pretty, pretty, pretty tall order, my friend. You are speaking of 2 of the most respected gyms in the state with nationally ranked instructors........ Especially stating you came from a BJJ background. Do you know under whom Rick Leonard trained and his ranking?
    Why would you shift from the style of training you had to a more RBSD type school?

without the usual drama and calling out rhetoric, I would encourage anyone to come to the school and train to see for yourself if the skills have any value. And if you want a more realistic understanding, put on the gloves, mouth piece and bang for a while.
    Fair enough. And there is an full review of the school by at least one poster from this site, Gold Dust.
    Perhaps you could take the time as a current student of the school, as he did as a visitor to the school, and write up and extensive review and post it on this thread.

What I would be most interested in is attention to detail of the infamous "Ferocious Five" strikes *I think they were ear rips, eye gouges, groin shots...* designed to equal the odds against a ground fight.

Since you come from a BJJ background and have chosen Troy's school over nationally known gyms such as the Lion's Den and Megaton's, your insight into the effectiveness of these strikes would be most beneficial.

As for the white supremacist comments, they are crazy. We have multiple ethnicities that train at the school on a regular basis, including my step daughter who is half hispanic.
    There was information posted and if you are able to offer substantial facts, as opposed to anecdotal evidence, then it needs to be left to the readers. I am glad your step daughter is happy at the gym and it is good for females to train.

Hope this helps clear up some of the BS
    Your participation in a full-formed review of the school and your experiences there with specific detail to the Ferocious Five would certainly help.

Again, welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2009 12:55pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sumito View Post
    And if you want a more realistic understanding, put on the gloves, mouth piece and bang for a while.
    Unless the RDT class structure has undergone a massive overhaul, I saw nothing even remotely going on there that resembled anyone putting on gloves and seriously mixing it up. Unless you want to call beating up a guy in a Redman suit "sparring". In fact guys used to get yelled at for "going too hard" if they tried to do anything other than very light contact sparring.

Not everyone is looking for the same thing or training for the same reasons. If you are enjoying the training and getting what you want out of it that's fine as long as you're being realistic about what it is that you're doing.

I didn't think that Troy's stuff was all bad, (but it certainly was a far cry from being all good either). However I found that his attitude at times left something to be desired as well as some of his over the top statements which I found somewhat difficult to swallow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Snake,

Don't get me wrong, the guys at Lion's Den and Megaton's school are awesome MMA and BJJ sport guys. For what they want out of it, which is great one on one mat and ring skills, they are top notch. Also, their conditioning is awesome. Overall great places to train. I have close friends that chose to go there.

However, I was looking for home invasion tactics, tactics for grappling on concrete in Phoenix, shopping mall tactics, etc. I was also looking for a place where my three girls could learn and spare against those above mentioned scenarios. I was also looking for weapons and weapons defense skills.

For the five times I went to Lion’s Den and four times I went to Megatons schools I did not see tactics taught at all. They were solely focused on technique in a one on one mat-based scenario. I also did not observe them dealing with scenarios outside of their techniques, knife, gun, stick and more thug like situations where a street fighter is not afraid to pull hair, bite, attack eyes, etc.

GJJ instructor
    Rick the last I knew him was a purple belt under Royce, however that was 12 years ago. The FBI sent him to Torrence every year and we had Royce come in twice when I was there. As a side note he was an Army Ranger before going to the FBI. The school was called "The Garage" and was located in Arlington Virginia. He also taught out of White Birch Kung Fu school in Arlington VA for about a year, that I remember.

My JKD and FMA training was more street oriented and even the GJJ had an element of street to it, as that is what the group asked for. We had guys that competed regionally in the DC area in sport and technique but we also addressed going to the ground on concrete in 95 degree weather...

The Ferocious Five
    Let's start with some baseline comments here. I saw some comments about using the five while someone has mounted you and raining down punches. I had to laugh a little as this is a horrible situation for anyone to be in. To my knowledge there aren’t any really "good" techniques for this situation. The FF is not designed to be an end all be all for every situation. It is a set of tools to enable a person to save their life when stuff starts to hit the fan. The goal is to end the fight within 9 seconds, whenever possible. This assumes you have tried to walk away, use your mind to diffuse the scenario, but sometimes it breaks down to “aggressive negotiations”.

We address the more traditional scenarios of the clinch and the takedown and do it actively. However, the goal isn't to wrestle a wrestler or grapple a grappler. It is to address what happens when a thug on the street means to hurt you. Assuming you found yourself in this scenario with an MMA student, where they mean to really hurt you, the principles would apply as well. As soon as the clinch happens, you reach up and put a solid thumb in the person’s eye, grab the groin, rip ears, grab fingers that are grabbing you, etc. Like anything there is proper technique behind each skill, which we work often. They aren’t some wimpy “Three Stooges” sort of thing or left to chance. There are things to do with each hand and we address footwork, entry technique and tactics based on your opponents actions.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post

That is a pretty, pretty, pretty tall order, my friend. You are speaking of 2 of the most respected gyms in the state with nationally ranked instructors........ Especially stating you came from a BJJ background.
    Do you know under whom Rick Leonard trained and his ranking?
    Why would you shift from the style of training you had to a more RBSD type school?
    Fair enough. And there is an full review of the school by at least one poster from this site, Gold Dust.
    Perhaps you could take the time as a current student of the school, as he did as a visitor to the school, and write up and extensive review and post it on this thread.

What I would be most interested in is attention to detail of the infamous "Ferocious Five" strikes *I think they were ear rips, eye gouges, groin shots...* designed to equal the odds against a ground fight.

Since you come from a BJJ background and have chosen Troy's school over nationally known gyms such as the Lion's Den and Megaton's, your insight into the effectiveness of these strikes would be most beneficial.

There was information posted and if you are able to offer substantial facts, as opposed to anecdotal evidence, then it needs to be left to the readers. I am glad your step daughter is happy at the gym and it is good for females to train.

[color=#9a9a9a][font=Verdana]Your participation in a full-formed review of the school and your experiences there with specific detail to the Ferocious Five would certainly help.

Again, welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Response to questions

Sorry for the double post but the forum timed out and when I refreshed my message wasn't there, so I reposted...

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post

That is a pretty, pretty, pretty tall order, my friend. You are speaking of 2 of the most respected gyms in the state with nationally ranked instructors........ Especially stating you came from a BJJ background. Do you know under whom Rick Leonard trained and his ranking?

[color=#9a9a9a][font=Verdana]Your participation in a full-formed review of the school and your experiences there with specific detail to the Ferocious Five would certainly help.

Again, welcome.
    Last edited by sumito; 8/26/2009 12:20pm at . Reason: Double post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2009 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Goldust,

I don't know when you trained at RDT, but we open every intermediate and above class with 3-5 minutes of free flow punching sparring. Mouthpiece and gloves with a ring timer. Guys are going at about 50-65% to get the mind right and it is not uncommon to catch a punch to the ribs or to the face when you make a mistake. Don't misunderstand me, the goal isn't to kill each other, it is to get your mind right and warm up, which also sets the tone for training. We also often end the last 5-10 minutes with freeflow sparring to work the skills you just got through learning.

There are also sessions of pure sparring, with headgear, gloves and mouthpiece with full kicks, punches, etc.

Hope this helps.

Searching for the wolf...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2009 1:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Curious about rating

I am very curious about something? How many people that have posted or rated RDT have actually been to an introductory class or trained with any of the instructors or students for any length of time?

Is there a way to add a column to the Bullshido rating system where a user has to state whether they have actually been to a class or not?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 2:57pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that this is a very old thread but I just came across a Reality Defense youtube video that I found amusing. Troy is in it so people can put a face behind the furious rants that he posted earlier in this thread. At the end of the video you can also see some of the students "sparring" which gives you some idea of what their stand up skills and training looks like.

"Reality Defense Training Video - Scottsdale, AZ - Education"

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "That you fight back is more important than how you fight back"???
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast