Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 2:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man screw all the arguing! All I wanna know is who all wants to go to ninja camp with me!!! it's only $149 for one session or $249 for both sessions.....any takers...no c'mon you get nunchucks and rubber throwing stars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 4:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhistate
    To truly be a "Shaolin martial artist," you need to live and train n a monastary and be a monk.
    I disagree, a Shaolin martial artist is a martial artist who practices Shaolin kung fu...if you're a monk then you're a monk.

I do see a big difference between the general life lessons that you can learn everywhere, and the intricacies of those lessons that come from study.
    Do you mean MA study, or study of...for the moment I'll say 'eastern thought'? As I see it, you can teach any philosophy and/or religion to any kind of movement (which is all MA is). They may complement one another very well, but I think it would be wrong to take that coexistence as evidence of a vital link, without which neither is whole.

GnPing a win can be viewed as a very brutal, unneccessary way of beating your opponent (while literally beating him), and the soccer moms won't see it as a "nice" way of winning a fight (and depending on the laws in the area, the cops might not either).
    I agree...BUT, with the exception of Aikido and chi-throwers (and let's not all make me sorry I mentioned 'em)...is there an example of a martial art that does promote a "nice" way of winning a fight? Because although they don't like to talk about it, and even though it's never 'trained' or put out there for public consumption, many martial arts are big on 'one hit and it's over' type resolution. People are never faced with the reality of what that hit might actually look like...it could be breaking someone's knee (brutal), hitting them square in the throat or eyes (brutal), etc.

Perhaps I should have said at the beginning...I'm well aware of what the article was saying, and I think I've a fair idea of why it was said. As you have a different perspective than many here, I'm interested in what you think (and others who want to chime it of course).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 7:22am

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all a matter of degree and definition. Shaolin kung-fu is one of the best examples of this. To truly be a "Shaolin martial artist," you need to live and train n a monastary and be a monk. Religious and philosophical study is just as important as the MA itself. For the lay person, they can study Shaolin kung-fu, but without pulling in all those other aspects of training, they aren't really Shaolin MAists. Once you get to American training of Shaolin, lip service is given to the religious side and most people just try to learn some fancy tricks. I do see a big difference between the general life lessons that you can learn everywhere, and the intricacies of those lessons that come from study.

Whether or not an MA is any better or worse than another is a matter of perspective. This guy views the behavior (and by extension the ethics) of the local MMA school as something really bad you need to protect children from. Obviously, other people disagree with him. GnPing a win can be viewed as a very brutal, unneccessary way of beating your opponent (while literally beating him), and the soccer moms won't see it as a "nice" way of winning a fight (and depending on the laws in the area, the cops might not either). On the other hand, everybody getting a trophy for showing up is false and insulting to those of actual talent. Whose ethics are better than the others? All a matter of opinion.

The TKD guy is doing himself a disservice by propogating such a negative stereotype. He could even get charged with slander, since he admits it is about a specific individual. If anything, he needs to go back and rewrite those "guidelines" according to the ethics he suggests are important in them.
    last i remember buddhist monks promoted pacifism and non violence (how skewed the movies have made thee).

also... it'd be libel, slander is spoken defamation, the former being written.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 8:11am

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of brutal:

That's a kids "stranger/danger" self-defense class.

Looks applicable to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6bcfeb1b-7f00-0001-325e-ce452e16dc46.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	7865  

Last edited by Kempoist; 5/01/2007 8:16am at .

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 9:38am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmiracleman
    Here you go.
    [video clip]
    Sorry about the low quality, I edited the video using Windows Movie Maker. I may upload this to YouTube later on (if I feel like it)...

Edit: The volume is kinda low, so I'll probably re-upload the video with improved audio the next chance I get.
    Not that we don't appreciate the effort and all, but we kind of have this one covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqUHQzyHFs

Now, back to grown up matters; has anyone notified McCaan about this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 11:34am

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, back to grown up matters; has anyone notified McCaan about this?
    I sent Jim a copy of this thread last night. We'll see what happens from there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in defense of tkd...Baek (tekken) did give us the superman punch

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 4:04pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I don't mind being called a thug or skinhead. I however draw the line at being called a pro wrestler!!!

I guess its better then the reality though, I'm a skinny, weak, computer nerd with dreams of being a tough guy.
    So, like, you can write code, quote the Dungeonmaster's Guide, *and* RNC the crap out of your fellow nerds?

You're not a nerd, you're a 'renaissance man'!

I found the TKD report rather ridiculous and one-sided. However, as the father of a 3 yr. old and 1 yr old, I can understand the sentiments. I don't really want them emulating SpikeTV UFC hopefuls either.

On the other hand, I still want them learning the proper mindset and effective training methods rather than CrapKwonDo or other useless strip-mall kids stuff. I think Judo is a good place to start...

...and I plan to let my kid watch a Vale Tudo/submission wrestling/bjj class at my current dojo eventually. I think as long as training is put into the proper context, it won't turn your kid into the Playground Brawler.

This will be an intersting process, though. Hopefully I won't **** up the process of getting my kids a martial edumacation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 6:37pm

Style: BJJ newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I've taught martial arts under MMA rules, and even though at times it is aggressive, or "skin head" as some people have stated, it is truly in self defence, I want everyone of my pupils not to go around aggravating people, but if they see aggressors are aggressors happen unto them, I would like them to do something about it. I live in Australia btw, and the neighbourhood that I used to teach in and still live in, it's fairly rough, so I made sure that they knew the best of what my Sensei's taught me, if thats brutal fine, at the end of the day my pupils and those of my sensei's aren't the ones winding up in hospital due to not being able to defend themselves
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678