Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 12:05pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhistate
    A parent has every right to use whatever tools they want to instill a code of ethics into their children (except in cases that fit the description of child abuse, which a massive grey line as far as I'm concerned).
    So your the reason my friend was hospitalized.
    Then sent back.
    And hospitalized.

When he was eight.

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 3:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should also be mentioned that the most parents who want their kid to do MA pretty much want them to able to defend themselves, but they don't want their kids exposed to anything "violent". I still remember my father being extremely unhappy at the idea of me learning MA from someone who worked as a doorman - despite the fact that a doorman is far more likely to know a bit about self defense than some twat who's never even done any full contact competition.

So as the MMA community we should really combat stuff like this and point out that actually the vast majority of MMA practitioners are very nice people who only engage in violence on the mat and in the ring.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 3:54pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempoist
    I'm a member of a martial arts business e-mail group.
    Is it the Yahoo one? I remember the exchange. Basically he said he wrote that booklet as a reply(or warning against) a 'negative' school in his area. We should invite him on to this board to defend his statements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 4:11pm

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually get angry about stuff like this, but for some reason, it doesn't irk me this time. It's just a product of desperation and ignorance. They're using the bloodsport boogeyman to scare parents, and as shitty as that is, it's also a little pathetic. There is no moral teaching, no ethical principle, that TKD teaches, that isn't taught better at my BJJ/MMA gym. TKD tells you to use restraint; BJJ/MMA forces you to when you roll competitively with the new guy. TKD tells you to keep your pride in check; in BJJ/MMA, pride will get you tapped/beaten up, and you won't survive your first three weeks with your pride intact anyway. TKD tells you your training partners are your brothers and sisters; in BJJ/MMA, it never even crosses your mind to doubt this. TKD tells you to be calm and cool under pressure; in BJJ/MMA, you're constantly under pressure, so you become acclimatized to it. TKD tells you to shake hands with your opponent after a match; in BJJ/MMA it's an automatic reaction. TKD tells you not to get into fights; BJJ/MMA teaches you how much it would hurt and suck even to win a fight with somebody who's trying to brutalize you.

TKD is struggling with its irrelevance. It shouldn't be. It's an Olympic sport, like synchronized swimming and figure skating, and will therefore be one of the few traditional martial arts to survive the MMA revolution with any semblance of its former popularity and reputation. The fact is, though, that the only value of TKD for self-defense is teaching kids how to kick with an open hip, which will be valuable when they start kickboxing at an MMA gym.

Kids should take MMA. First, it will teach them how to fight, as opposed to how to play TKD. Second, the lessons they learn from their own experiences will be ten times more powerful than any moralistic blather handed down from on high.

P.S. The axe-kick is pretty useful against a downed opponent too, I guess, but if you use it when your opponent's up you're just asking for a pelvis-wrenching takedown.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 4:22pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This bad sales pitch made me LoL.

Thank you.

The part about how a martial art has to have an Asian background to be legitimate, that was cute. The whole portion devoted to MMA made me wish I was a thug.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 4:38pm

Style: pa-kua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary
    So your the reason my friend was hospitalized.
    Then sent back.
    And hospitalized.

When he was eight.
    Sucks for your friend. That's child abuse (no parent should take such actions that lead to results like that, ESPECIALLY on young children).

However, I also think that circumcision is child abuse and some forms of corporeal punishment on kids is not. Thus, grey areas.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 4:41pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kohadril
    I usually get angry about stuff like this, but for some reason, it doesn't irk me this time. It's just a product of desperation and ignorance. They're using the bloodsport boogeyman to scare parents, and as shitty as that is, it's also a little pathetic. There is no moral teaching, no ethical principle, that TKD teaches, that isn't taught better at my BJJ/MMA gym.
    Speaking of TKD or other arts teaching ethical principles... if that is the case, shouldn't there be an official syllabus of the principals being taught. They can probably rhyme off the kicks they teach at each belt level. If it is not officially in the curriculum, then how do you know what is being taught.

:profe:
    Kids should take MMA. First, it will teach them how to fight, as opposed to how to play TKD. Second, the lessons they learn from their own experiences will be ten times more powerful than any moralistic blather handed down from on high.
    I think MMA is a natural for kids. Most fights I remember go something like this: throw a couple of wild punches; knock the opponent down; get mount; finish with GnP, or just hang drool over his face until he crys uncle.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 4:58pm

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    I think MMA is a natural for kids. Most fights I remember go something like this: throw a couple of wild punches; knock the opponent down; get mount; finish with GnP, or just hang drool over his face until he crys uncle.
    Totally.

I would plus rep you if this were another forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 6:22pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why oh why do we insist on these huge package deals in America anyway? Why does a single activity or hobby have to fill all of your needs simultaneously? Why does your wife have to be your best friend too? Diversify! Send your kid to a gym and teach him to fight from Monday to Friday, feed him on Saturday, and then if you think he needs it drop him off at church on Sunday morning to get all the morals and ethics and whatnot he can stomach.

As an aside I agree with JHelmsley back on page 3. I'd die of shame if I looked like that and tried to insist that people refer to me as a "Master" of any physical activity more demanding than shuffleboard.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 6:43pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Speaking of TKD or other arts teaching ethical principles... if that is the case, shouldn't there be an official syllabus of the principals being taught. They can probably rhyme off the kicks they teach at each belt level. If it is not officially in the curriculum, then how do you know what is being taught.
    How does buying a book -with cd's and lil' dragon uniform patches- enhance your ability to teach ethics and morals? I don't understand paying for something that claims to be on a level higher than common sense, yet requires no individual credentials to convincingly teach it.
    The thirteen year old black belt nth dan teaching the class is qualified to instill values in your own kid?

People who take on this role should either have extensive life experience or some sort of qualification besides being in the Black Belt club. Why does an MA have to teach moral values beyond hard work and not getting your ass kicked (including not provoking people to kick your ass)? I think, like MrGelt said, it's basically about one-stop shopping. Maybe parents are just lazy and get what they deserve. It's funny that MA are an area where spending an enormous amount of money doesn't cause people to question how much of an educated consumer they are. :bduh:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast