Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 12:46am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A wrestling question - the Front Head Shuck

I'm sure most of you wrestlers know the front head shuck. For those of you who don't, I would reference you to http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...ck/default.php. I'm just wondering, if anyone here wrestles or is just familiar with the move, has this technique ever worked for you? The over-tie shuck (I learned it as "pass-by," but I'm pretty sure they mean the same thing) works, but it's a radically different technique. Has anyone used it to any success? I've seen it used, but I could never really nail it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 3:59am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a common move. I've used it on and off over the years. Often times it comes in a chain of moves. When you're wrestling, you have a certain moveset that works together in a sequence. Of course anything is rarely perfect, so you're constantly finding new techniques to add on based on what reaction you get. However, when I get a front headlock like in this situation, I make them pay for it. If I want a quick 2 (or 1 under freestyle/greco rules), I'll do it, especially if I'm close to running out of bounds. But if we're in the middle I'm going to see if I can work a gator roll, front head chancel, or work into a cradle.

If you want some advice on the front headlock (as shown), I'll be more than happy to. I have done some wrestling in my day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 4:44am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty useful move that I have utilized a few times with success. As the poster above said you use it as a chain of 2 or 3 quick moves. The shuck was never my primary option if I got the front headlock but I would use it to set up a gut wrench in freestyle. When doing the move make sure you get around the back quick and work hard to attain the back. What part do you get stuck on in the move?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How would you set up a gutwrench off of a front headlock? I could only imagine you trying to transition, maybe if you got behind first, but I don't think it'd be possible to go right from a front headlock into a gutwrench.

If you get a deep front, and grab all the way through onto the tricep you've got more options since you're only using 1 arm, but that'll be short lived. Personally if I got that front, there was no way I was going to let go. The Simmons boys at Michigan State were known for trying to and choking people with it, which is something I would do if I got a chance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 1:53am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry should have clarrified. I meant to say I used the shuck to get round the back and from there go to a gutwrench not a gutwrench from the front headlock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 3:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to say....wow that's amazing if you can do that...haha. I would prefer to latch onto the front headlock and take the starch out of someone and then if I felt they were going to slee, I'd get the go behind for the takedown and start on top if we went out of bounds.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice way to grab a point..
    I remember being taught this in HS . I did it once in a match when defending a double and it was the only point I scored. I went for the gutwrench but couldn't pull it off..
    I lost that match pretty handily. I think it was 6-1 or something.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 11:30am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you consider that a "head drag?"

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:47pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Would you consider that a "head drag?"
    no, because the head's already in contact with your body, so you 'shuck' it off to the side, versus an armdrag, where you shoot out, grab his delt and then drag it towards and across yourself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 6:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Highschool Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time I used the shuck it was only to set myself up for a throw because you can get behind your opponent quickly.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast