226103 Bullies, 4197 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 43
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mojo23 is offline
    mojo23's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    364

    Posted On:
    7/08/2008 4:37pm


     Style: PTK / MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chiming in way late with my two cents, I do Modern Arnis myself with an instructor who emphasizes fighting- sparring, competing, etc. That's the most important aspect of any kali/arnis/escrima school I can think of. Make sure yours is a school that fights. I'm happy with my instructor, but from what I've heard from multiple sources, many Modern Arnis schools focus on drills and forms which will do you little good.
  2. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    8/04/2008 10:58pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl
    additionally, a longer punyo (we use a fist width) allows you to hook things with the punyo in corto. it's not all twirling and tapi-tapi.



    tim
    Too much punyo can make getting disarmed a lot easier. I never want any more than an inch, & usually that's too much.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  3. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    8/04/2008 11:44pm


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We generally use a fists width, but we are striking with the punyo a lot too. Also bladed style, so disarms are much lower percentage moves(I don't think most are particularly high-percentage in the first place).
  4. Matt Stone is offline
    Matt Stone's Avatar

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,246

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 12:33am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say that training with Kelly Worden and his Natural Spirit International school has opened my eyes to so much over the last six months that I can honestly say I've learned more in six months than I have in the last 10 years...

    I think FMA needs to be part of everyone's progression after a certain point. Weapons training in and of itself provides insights that empty hand alone can't convey, and the approach of FMA to the question of physical aggression allows for "new eyes" on older technique.
  5. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 1:32am

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    We generally use a fists width, but we are striking with the punyo a lot too. Also bladed style, so disarms are much lower percentage moves(I don't think most are particularly high-percentage in the first place).
    Oh, I'd agree with that. Besides the handle designs of most Filipino blades don't lend themselves to disarms either. Stick, otoh, are fair game.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  6. mojo23 is offline
    mojo23's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    364

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 9:33am


     Style: PTK / MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disarms look all sorts of cool when you can pull them off, although in reality a counterattack is going to be a better bet. With sticks, yeah, it may make some sense, especially in a tournament where 3 disarms = TKO, but if you're fighting with blades, why bother going for their weapon when you can take their head out?
  7. tim_stl is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    157

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 11:05am


     Style: fma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo23
    Disarms look all sorts of cool when you can pull them off, although in reality a counterattack is going to be a better bet. With sticks, yeah, it may make some sense, especially in a tournament where 3 disarms = TKO, but if you're fighting with blades, why bother going for their weapon when you can take their head out?
    to keep their weapon from going for you. i rarely pull off disarms, but often an attempt is enough to keep them from countering your finishing shot with one of their own. when you're in close range, you've got to do something about their weapon hand.

    in all the times i've been disarmed in sparring (intentionally or otherwise, even when i've disarmed myself), the punyo was not a factor. i have used the punyo to good effect while sparring though. i've found it to be worth it.



    tim
  8. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 1:03pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl
    to keep their weapon from going for you. i rarely pull off disarms, but often an attempt is enough to keep them from countering your finishing shot with one of their own. when you're in close range, you've got to do something about their weapon hand.
    My point exactly. I don't know why more FMA instructors don't recognize the value of disarms and such, but these techniques are often the only thing that give you a chance when you're caught flat-footed during a knife attack. Some FMA instructors won't teach much else beyond that, considering that statistically, in the real world, there's no squaring off with blades, you just suddenly find yourself attacked, & while not 100% foolproof, a disarm may save you if you don't have mobility as an option. If you can't defend against what's most likely to happen, the rest is a waste of time. How are you going to go "take the head out" when you got some gnarly low-line thrusts incoming? Most of the really fast and simple disarms address the weak spot of the grip on any weapon, at the spine of the knife/stick. If your style doesn't address this point, go elsewhere to find it.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  9. Ryno is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), WA
    Posts
    1,776

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:15pm


     Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disarms are overrated. There. I said it. And I'm pretty damn good at them too.

    I see disarms as techniques of opportunity. They aren't something that you can plan for at the outset of a fight.

    The majority of disarms are based on a two on one grip, where you entangle and strip the weapon. If you get greedy going for them and aren't quick, you can very quickly lose track of the secondary and terciary weapons that can come into play. If I see someone consistently fishing for a disarm, I'll sometimes bait them with my weapon just so I can drop a good left hook or low-line kick on them. Many times they are so occupied trying to get control of my weapon that they are caught totally off guard by these secondary attacks.

    Against a faster weapon like a knife, where a good attacker will be using his empty hand to grab, check and punch you, it can be extremely difficult to pull of a disarm. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's a lot tougher than what many people are shown in a seminar, where someone just feeds them a thrust then freezes.

    ****, I almost never throw a knife thrust against an unarmed training partner without first landing a jab, or grabbing them. I'm not going to just stick it out there while they are watching for it to come. Ditto for stick attacks. If I see them looking for a big number one, I sure as hell am not going to just feed it to them. I may fake the number one, then drop a vertical. Or an upwards strike. Or pull it short so that when they dive in for the disarm, they are overcommited and I can slide it through for a backhand or thrust, or left hook.

    If you want to really know how good you are at disarms (and whether you should even be worried about punyo length), do some light to medium sparring with very light rattan, minimal mma style or no gloves (allowing for clean grabss), and a helmet. Allow kicks and palm strikes/checks to the helmet. Play it out.

    If you can get a disarm before being lit up with strikes in more than 1 out of 4 rounds against a quality opponent, then you are a lot better at disarms than me. And I bet if you go a few additional rounds with anyone that you get a disarm against initially, getting those disarms on them again will get even harder.
  10. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 8:01pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Disarms are overrated. There. I said it. And I'm pretty damn good at them too.

    I see disarms as techniques of opportunity. They aren't something that you can plan for at the outset of a fight.
    YES

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    The majority of disarms are based on a two on one grip, where you entangle and strip the weapon. If you get greedy going for them and aren't quick, you can very quickly lose track of the secondary and terciary weapons that can come into play. If I see someone consistently fishing for a disarm, I'll sometimes bait them with my weapon just so I can drop a good left hook or low-line kick on them. Many times they are so occupied trying to get control of my weapon that they are caught totally off guard by these secondary attacks.
    Agreed. However, the numbers don't lie, and the vast, vast majority of knife attackers fixate on the weapon they are using, since it is most likely dependent upon the blade in order to enforce the threat they pose. Sounds like you do some good training, though. Keep it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Against a faster weapon like a knife, where a good attacker will be using his empty hand to grab, check and punch you, it can be extremely difficult to pull of a disarm. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's a lot tougher than what many people are shown in a seminar, where someone just feeds them a thrust then freezes.
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    ****, I almost never throw a knife thrust against an unarmed training partner without first landing a jab, or grabbing them. I'm not going to just stick it out there while they are watching for it to come. Ditto for stick attacks.
    Sounds good, but that's not the average stick/knife attack. Most knife/stick attackers are ENTIRELY committed, & they aren't sparring. In both my FMA and Petjak Silat training, this has been addressed. Who has even been attacked by a mugger that plays patty cake and dances around, wanting to spar and throwing out feigns and fakes? Show of hands? They don't. THEY JUST COME.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    If you want to really know how good you are at disarms (and whether you should even be worried about punyo length), do some light to medium sparring with very light rattan, minimal mma style or no gloves (allowing for clean grabss), and a helmet. Allow kicks and palm strikes/checks to the helmet. Play it out.

    If you can get a disarm before being lit up with strikes in more than 1 out of 4 rounds against a quality opponent, then you are a lot better at disarms than me. And I bet if you go a few additional rounds with anyone that you get a disarm against initially, getting those disarms on them again will get even harder.
    Reminds me of a story that Charlie Nelson told about pulling off a textbook X-block counter against an attacker. The guy exclaimed "Well, let's see you do that again!", & ol' Charlie replied "It only has to work once, son." :toothy9: :5oh:
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.