Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Question!
    Chili Pepper, what would you consider to be a long punyo?
    Although I've only been taking kali for four months, I've found that anything more that 2 inches of punyo will inhibit a proper swing, and I personally keep only 1 inch of punyo.

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 10:06pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about as long as your fist is the longest I've seen without messing with you.

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 9:10am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Question!
    Chili Pepper, what would you consider to be a long punyo?
    Fist-width. I'll go with about 2 inches absolute maximum, personally - much longer than that and it gets hung up too easily.

Realistically, all you need is a little extension so that you've got a striking tool, and so that your hand won't slip off the end. I get a little nutty when I see someone choking way up on the stick, because that means they're training to throw a million flippy little abaniko strikes rather than something with a little ka-POW behind it, and/or it facilitates fancy baton-twirling.

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 9:42am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About fist length will keep it from coming out of your hand if you actually repeatedly punyo something kind of hard(like people).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2008 1:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jkd / kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to all the good comments, try to look for immediacy and directness in technical application. Remember weapon based training is hardly rooted in sport. you are looking at applications designed for lethality whether defensive or offensive. Simplicity and directness is important for functional application. If you hear a great deal of "well ,in a real fight i wouldn't use this 15 move entry." be wary. Flow drills have a purpose, but has anyone seen a fight turn into Hubud ?? Look for fluidity, adaptation, and CONTACT. Adding to kali for the sake of "looking cool" does little to help in a real world fight. I believe true kali is demonstrated in quick decisive action. The drills are important, but if the school you are observing does nothing but sinawali and sumbrada you are witnessing a devolution of a very capable combative method. You should see knife ,stick, pangamut (empty hands) and Dumog (grappling/wrestling) for a rounded curriculum.

my 10 cents.
    Yes i do kali and silat and yes i appreciate MMA /Bjj ...no art bashing from me. Study everything that you have time to study ,even maybe wing chun.....well ...uhh...maybe

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2008 1:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jkd / kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good FMA training

In addition to all the good comments, try to look for immediacy and directness in technical application. Remember weapon based training is hardly rooted in sport. you are looking at applications designed for lethality whether defensive or offensive. Simplicity and directness is important for functional application. If you hear a great deal of "well ,in a real fight i wouldn't use this 15 move entry." be wary. Flow drills have a purpose, but has anyone seen a fight turn into Hubud ?? Look for fluidity, adaptation, and CONTACT. Adding to kali for the sake of "looking cool" does little to help in a real world fight. I believe true kali is demonstrated in quick decisive action. The drills are important, but if the school you are observing does nothing but sinawali and sumbrada you are witnessing a devolution of a very capable combative method. You should see knife ,stick, pangamut (empty hands) and Dumog (grappling/wrestling) for a rounded curriculum.

my 10 cents.
    Yes i do kali and silat and yes i appreciate MMA /Bjj ...no art bashing from me. Study everything that you have time to study ,even maybe wing chun.....well ...uhh...maybe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2008 3:42pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    additionally, a longer punyo (we use a fist width) allows you to hook things with the punyo in corto. it's not all twirling and tapi-tapi.

tim

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 1:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if you have smaller fists, like me, you should have a fist+ punyo, as sticks are alot more stable this way.

Registered Member

At the doh-jaw, sleeping beneath the moldy tatami

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 2:10pm

Style: Judo/PunchyKicking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for rezzing the thread, but i'm looking for FMA schools in Lisbon, Portugal, and this one got my attention. My only option seems like a school that teaches "Modern Arnis" and "Kombatan"... I've lurked enough on the intarwebs to know that Modern Arnis precludes Kombatan, but are they competent styles?
    Also, this school claims it's part of the International Philippine Martial Arts Federation.
    Is this a trustworthy body?

Registered Member

At the doh-jaw, sleeping beneath the moldy tatami

Posted On:
    6/28/2008 2:30pm

Style: Judo/PunchyKicking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They also claim to have been tought by Jürg Ziegler. I found about 4 entries about him here in Bullshido, and none seem to add more than his obvious rotundness (a future systema instructor?)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast