• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 10:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heya! I've never posted here before because I am pretty much a loser when it comes to health and nutrition, but sciatica I know well...

I am not sure what you have is sciatica, but it can manifest differently in different people. I had it with both of my pregnancies (yes, I realize that is not going to be a problem for most of you) and it was basically a stop-you-in-your-tracks stabbing pain in the low lower back (like, top of the crack area) that shot pain and numbness down the back of both legs. The only thing that kept me walking was twice a week trips to the chiropractor - I think I must have bought that guy a beamer with what I spent. If you've got a nerve pinch, that is a mechanical/functional problem, so a chiro is going to do better than a Dr, but that's my opinion.

He also gave me a stretch that helped - the one where you stand with your back to a wall, about 18 inches away, then twist and place both hands on the wall and hold for 30 seconds, then do the other side. It hurts like hell at first, but you should be feeling better after a few minutes.

Do take it easy, listen to the pain, and treat accordingly - you won't be helping yourself if you just push through it.

And I didn't do ART for it, but my hubby did for some other problems and he swears by it. Might be worth checking out.

BTW Soju - do you go to SPC in Mississauga for your treatments?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 2:06pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    Heya! I've never posted here before because I am pretty much a loser when it comes to health and nutrition, but sciatica I know well...

I am not sure what you have is sciatica, but it can manifest differently in different people. I had it with both of my pregnancies (yes, I realize that is not going to be a problem for most of you) and it was basically a stop-you-in-your-tracks stabbing pain in the low lower back (like, top of the crack area) that shot pain and numbness down the back of both legs. The only thing that kept me walking was twice a week trips to the chiropractor - I think I must have bought that guy a beamer with what I spent. If you've got a nerve pinch, that is a mechanical/functional problem, so a chiro is going to do better than a Dr, but that's my opinion.

He also gave me a stretch that helped - the one where you stand with your back to a wall, about 18 inches away, then twist and place both hands on the wall and hold for 30 seconds, then do the other side. It hurts like hell at first, but you should be feeling better after a few minutes.

Do take it easy, listen to the pain, and treat accordingly - you won't be helping yourself if you just push through it.

And I didn't do ART for it, but my hubby did for some other problems and he swears by it. Might be worth checking out.

BTW Soju - do you go to SPC in Mississauga for your treatments?

Thanks, I'm going to try that stretch. I've been taking it easy for the last couple of days and it's def. not as bad as it was. I think I'll just rest up this weekend and see how I feel on monday.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 2:28pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch out for aggravating it by your posture when sitting or driving.
    During college I had a job that involved driving for three to five hours every day and it made my sciatic nerve on my right side inflamed as hell.
    If you're driving for long periods of time, or sitting at a desk, stop and take a small walk every once in a while.
    I have a friend who is one of those people that will drive for eight hours straight, and just like clockwork every time they'll be complaining about their back/sciatica a day or two later.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1444035
    ^This article has great info on proprioception and posture while sitting

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c.../sciaex02.html
    ^This has some good exercises

Good idea to get it checked out as well, because if you don't have what you think you have you can do more damage.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12