Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 10:41am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Sciatic Nerve

For the last several days I've had a nasty cramp that won't go away. It starts in the back of my left thigh a little above the knee and runs up to the top of my left butt cheek. I did a google search because I remembered hearing about sciatica and based on that I think it's my sciatic nerve. It's annoying, but I'm still working out partly because it isn't really slowing me down (not much anyway) but also because stretching it and making it work makes it feel better. So far I don't feel like I need a doctor because it's not like I'm in horrible pain and I can still do everything that I normally can- it's just that my leg is very stiff and tight. I find that I can stretch the problem area specifically by crossing my right foot over my left and trying to put the palms of my hands on the ground- usually that's easy for me but lately it's taking a certain amount of patience to get all the way down. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? Does anyone think there's a good reason why I should see a doctor even though it's not that bad? In the end of course I have to use my best judgement but if anyone can offer some insight I'd like to hear it.
    Last edited by From Bell2Bell; 4/26/2007 10:57am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's getting aggravated from sitting down, i could be sciatica.
    Otherwise, it may just be the tightness in the calf (and possibly the lower back and thigh). If it's not getting better w/ you stretching and taking care of it, some Rolfing would probably help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 12:13pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had problems with the same nerve, usually it gets inflammed and I go to a chiropracter ...the best thing to do is according to my Drs' is mild stretching and apply ice for 20 min on and 20 min off.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to my nightmare

Go see a doctor, if it's Sciatica it can be caused by a few things including my specialty degenerative disk disease.

Ignoring it will make it worse.

Chiropractors or Physio can help a lot

I go to a chiro who uses ART Active release techniques and hooks me up to a machine that uses electricity to stimulate the nerve and release the muscles around the nerve

Ibuprofen based pain killers like Advil is good for inflammation which can also be pinching the nerve.

Don't be dumb like me and ignore the signs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    I have had problems with the same nerve, usually it gets inflammed and I go to a chiropracter ...the best thing to do is according to my Drs' is mild stretching and apply ice for 20 min on and 20 min off.

Is ice really a good idea? It seems to me that heat would be more helpful. I know a hot shower definately loosens it up for a while.

Welcome to my nightmare

Go see a doctor, if it's Sciatica it can be caused by a few things including my specialty degenerative disk disease.

Ignoring it will make it worse.

Chiropractors or Physio can help a lot

I go to a chiro who uses ART Active release techniques and hooks me up to a machine that uses electricity to stimulate the nerve and release the muscles around the nerve

Ibuprofen based pain killers like Advil is good for inflammation which can also be pinching the nerve.

Don't be dumb like me and ignore the signs.

Thanks, I'm def. going to take this into consideration. I haven't decided to see a dr. yet but if it doesn't improve in the several days I will. The stuff I've read seems to suggest that although it could be something nasty that it might very well just be a nuisance that will take care of itself. I don't want to bother with the dr. if it's just a pain in the ass (no pun intended) but I don't want to take chances either.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That exact symptom is how my journey into back pain hell started. Be careful.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember exactly the day and how i first hurt my back

We did fireman carries back and forth across the dojo

My Partner weighed in at 215 I must of carried him 10 times.

the next day my back was sore and making a clicking noise

I figured I could stretch it out.

a couple months go by and during grappling a 110 girl gets on my back.

I go hey! something doesn't feel right

3 weeks in bed later I finally go see a chiropractor

I ain't anything if nor ornery..... and dumb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 4:11pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a Chiro do some ART on me, it was amazing!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 9:40pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the Dr. If the nerve is inflammed then the heat is not the best thing for it. Think of it as if you get hit in the face the tissue is injured and heats up ...you dont want to put heat on it because it will cause it to enflame even more. The ice reduces swelling and enflamation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 9:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    According to the Dr. If the nerve is inflammed then the heat is not the best thing for it. Think of it as if you get hit in the face the tissue is injured and heats up ...you dont want to put heat on it because it will cause it to enflame even more. The ice reduces swelling and enflamation.

I didn't think of that because heat loosens up the muscles and helps me stretch but that does make sense.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast