Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy sol hurok
    The only reason I can think of is training for self-defense. Even then, you'd want to wear protective gear until your technique is good and you've gotten some conditioning, as Whiteshark said.
    I used to be concerned about teh knuckle conditioning for "self defense" when I was a teenager, but as I got older, I realized that I'm most likely going to get into way more ring fights than street fights, and that most likely, if someone tries to mess with me, the first thing I'm gonna do is get a weapon.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to condition your hands for bareknuckle fights there are some accepted (dare I say it?) TMA training methods for toughening your hands/knuckles. Makiwara stuff, knuckle push ups, IP, etc. Bag work is not and never has been one of them. Bag work is for working on your punching/striking. And that should always come before esoteric "forging" stuff anyway.

I used to believe that training "for real" included never using wraps or gloves. All I did was hurt my wrists, tear up my knuckles and DECREASE my hitting power. And all of that meant I did less bag work. (Those scrapes on the knuckle take for ever to heal. Even when you barely remove the top layer of skin, you get a gross, thick-ass scab that then cracks and bleeds worse than the initial scrape ever was.) Now I wrap my hands every time. Protects the knuckles from scraping and supports the wrist. And guess what? It still toughens and strengthens your hands, but it does so safely and gradually.

I still bust out some knuckle push-ups every once and a while, though. *grin*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 3:14pm

Style: Full Contact Ju Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With repetition on a heavy bag the bones in your hand will splay out, so if you must do 'knuckle conditioning' at least support the hand with wraps around the metacarpals and wrist.

I always use wraps and bag gloves on the heavy bag, gloves when doing pad work as a minimum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 3:39pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    checked the doctors today not a big deal just have too much stress on my knuckles, got some wraps and gloves. lol i think i need to do the iron palm training too so i can "chow(chinese word) my food with my hands"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 3:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "chow" as in cook?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 10:15pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another topic that isn't commonly brought up is that bags are bacterial nightmares is most gyms. Those gloves aren't just giving you better padding for your training they're also putting a barrier between you the the wee nasties that have found there way to the bag from the sweaty chuckleheads who have been training with no gloves.

If you're training on your own equiptment this is less of an issue, but it is still an issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 2:13pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I can't see how hitting mitts without gloves would hurt you, unless your partner is an iron bar.

But the bag, to me it depends on "how heavy and rigid" is the bag we're talking about. If it gives in easily, you'll be fine without gloves if you go progressively. If you're talking about a nearly new "not broken in" 100 lbs leather covered heavy bag that barely moves unless you do a whole body cross or a sidekick, then you oughta wear gloves.

In my humble opinion, common sense prevails here. Go progressively in speed and power, that way you're pretty certain not to bust your hand (unless you're stupid and don't listen to your body when it tells . If your hand hurts, wear wraps (and gloves, if you want). If it doesn't hurt, keep going.

If you want to train for bareknuckle fighting, alternate between training at full power with wraps and gloves and at maximum safe power with your bare hands. That way, you get to train full power, and you get to toughen up your hands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 2:15pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Another topic that isn't commonly brought up is that bags are bacterial nightmares is most gyms. Those gloves aren't just giving you better padding for your training they're also putting a barrier between you the the wee nasties that have found there way to the bag from the sweaty chuckleheads who have been training with no gloves.
    Though that's conditionnal to you having your own gloves (not wearing club/gym lent ones; yuck!), and, more importantly, cleaning them.

Else, you're even worse off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    "chow" as in cook?
    yep maybe next throwdown if i finaly learned the legendary iron palm i can cook free food with my hands but i wont promise its safe to eat lmao well today i tried hitting the bags with gloves on and it was about the same except i can apply more power

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2007 4:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Choy Li Fut, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear gloves or you will have arthritis when you are thirty. If you want to make your fist harder, train it over time slowly and build up your intensity and power over time, don't just go all balls from the beginning.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast