Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 7:43pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is hitting mitts/bag without gloves ok???

hi i have been hitting bag and mitts without gloves or any sort of protection for a few months already and so far not much of problem. today after my mitts/bagwork training i felt my knuckles having a slight pain, my friend told me its nothing much but i am kind of worried about it

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get some gloves goddamnit. You're learning poor form and you aren't putting enough power into your strikes. You're also just waiting to get injured.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

poser

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 7:53pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't imagine that there'd be a serious problem with it. The only issue with it I can think of is scraping up your skin a little on the cover, but if you're worried you can always get your hand checked out.

Or, and I'm just guessing here, if the bag is on the harder side maybe the low shock absorption (definitely lower than, say, a person) could be causing impact problems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 8:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Half the bodies bones are in the hands and feet. Learning to strike with a lot of force requires repetition, to apply greater levels of force greater levels of safety are needed, or you will cop an injury. At minimum you will get red, bloody knuckles which wont look good in social situations. I would suggest getting gloves and also hand wraps, which prevent injuries by holding the bones in place. If you want to do hand conditioning treat this separately as training should be specific.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 8:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went from big gloves and wraps to small gloves and wraps to just wraps to nothing. I can now hit full force on a hard bag no problem. Unfortunately this took a couple years. YMMV

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 9:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepwrz
    hi i have been hitting bag and mitts without gloves or any sort of protection for a few months already and so far not much of problem. today after my mitts/bagwork training i felt my knuckles having a slight pain, my friend told me its nothing much but i am kind of worried about it
    you hit like a bitch. get some gloves.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 7:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Get some gloves goddamnit. You're learning poor form and you aren't putting enough power into your strikes. You're also just waiting to get injured.
    :iamwithst Exactly. I can see no reason not to wear protective gear and plenty of reason to wear it.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 8:13am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    :iamwithst Exactly. I can see no reason not to wear protective gear and plenty of reason to wear it.
    The only reason I can think of is training for self-defense. Even then, you'd want to wear protective gear until your technique is good and you've gotten some conditioning, as Whiteshark said.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 8:48am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't do it for self-defense.

I did it to compete in bare-knuckle karate tournaments. Even in those you are allowed to wrap as long as you stay an inch back from your knuckles.

On a more general note. I can not think of a single thing in the world of physical endeavor that is not better learned through a staged transition. Punching bare-knuckle or lifting heavy weight or running a marathon. Start slow or with safeguards and work your way up. Would you try to learn trapeze with no safety net 50 feet above the ground?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whiteshark has teh correct.

you should be using wraps and gloves for now, eventually you should vary up your bag work by hitting with small gloves, wraps only, and bare knuckle.

be very careful when going bare knuckle, don't over do it, but if you hope to be able to punch someone bare knuckle and not hurt your hand you're going to have to condition your hands.

<blatant trolling>
    you need to practice the r34l iron palm training dude, if you ever make it to my school i will show you </blatant trolling>
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast