Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he tried to "something" is what I said - a standard ganseki set up, at the end of which he simply didn't control the arm very well. Call it a technique, call it a variation. Its semantics - whatever he tried, he didn't execute it very well. Yes, he got him down to the ground, so I guess if that's the standard you are judging it by, he did great. But he got him down with no control, and no clear advantage - other than a 2-3 second headstart in the first one.

I guess you could argue he's "fighting" a TV show host, so that's all he needed to do. I think a 15th dan should have done better.
    If he had controlled the host's arm according to standard execution of a ganseki nage, the host would have fallen forwards. Most people on this board will be able to anticipate the likely result of an untrained "fighter" falling forwards while having one arm controlled by an extended elbow lock; chances are that he would have tensed up and fought the throw (risking his elbow), thrust out his free hand to break the fall (risking his wrist) or simply fallen onto his face.

I don't know much about Dale Seago apart from what I saw in this video clip, but it's evident that he's at least experienced enough to be able to anticipate these outcomes and smart enough to choose not to risk an untrained TV presenter's safety by forcing a ganseki nage.

This could be contrasted to what happened when reporter John Stossel provoked pro-wrestler David "Dr. D" Schults by saying that wrestling is fake - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ . Incidentally, Stossel filed a lawsuit for long-term hearing loss incurred during that assault, and settled out of court for $400,000.
    Last edited by DdlR; 4/28/2007 9:34am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally watched it. Dale didn't do too bad. Yeah he still spews hockey ninjer BS but his handling of Adam wasn't bad at all giving the situation.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 10:59am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    Yeah he still spews hockey ninjer BS...
    Hockey ninjer you say...

I KNEW IT!

EDIT: Yes, I did just spend 5-10 minutes of my Saturday morning making Dominik Hasek look like a ninja. What of it?
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 4/28/2007 11:06am at .
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/28/2007 12:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    Cutting corners again. So why didn't that ask a kendo guy to do it?

Kendo w-uld be a bad idea. Most Kendo-ka's live blade skills are lacking. A Iaido-ka or Ko-ryu Kenjutsu ka would of been a better choice.

Remeber they used Dale Seago because he just happened to be in San Franscico. It seems like the got people based on how easy they could get them, not who was the best.

I am D/Ling the ep now.
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/29/2007 6:18pm at . Reason: grammar ( I fixed my grammer, now Bujinkan Ninjer can you fix your shitty art)

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 12:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    Kendo would be a bad idea. Most Kendo-ka live blade skill are is lacking. A Iaido-ka or Ko-ryu Kenjutsu ka would of been a better choice.

Remeber they used Dale Seago because he just happened to be in San Franscico. If seem like the got people based on how easy they could get them, not who was the best.

I am D/Ling the ep now.
    Allow me to suggest the following link.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should have used kage-pl4smer for the episode instead of dale.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdmalkav
    Allow me to suggest the following link.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/

All you have for a defense is to attack my grammar, Ninja please....

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    They should have used kage-pl4smer for the episode instead of dale.

Or rather my instructor(s). At least they could pull off a Ganseki Nage on a non-resisting opponent.....

As for the ep, I say disappointing.

Myth 1: They replicated ninja snow/rice patty shoes to walk on water?! All aspects of that was just retarded

Myth 2: Stopping a sword by clapping over your head, even american ninjers don't believe that. Seriously, no ninjutsu ryu-ha pass or present had that technique.

Myth 3: Catching an arrow. That a circus act not ninjutsu.

It was more a special on movie-fu then ninjutsu. I rank this lower then fight science.
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/29/2007 6:19pm at .
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678