Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 2:19pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the horse stance has a purpose as it's name indicates.

To simulate fighting from horseback.

Unless you are training to use your techniques mounted, I fail to see any use for it.

Personally I find it only usefull in two directions, the sides, unless you are letting your opponent attack you from the side (which has other obvious drawbacks even a blind deaf and dumb person cab see).

maybe it has other training applications that aren't applicable in fighting like stregthening legs by building muscles from standing in it. That I can't comment on because I admit we don't train it.

personally I fail to see how it can help defend against a shoot, and actually imagine it would make you more susceptible to a takedown as your weight and legs are situated to give the greatest resistance not to the front and back, but to the sides.

unless your opponent is shooting at you from the side- I don't see how weakening your position, and mobility to sprawl can benefit you at all unless the mafia is holding your children ransom if you don't throw the fight.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 2:42pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I use it all the time when outside the open guard. Posturing yourself angled off 45degrees or so to prevent them from scooping your ankles and reversing, allows you to work for a solid pass to side control. Also very useful for standing guard passes.

WTF are you doing!? Now you're going to have a bunch of Kung Fu people claiming to have found the secret guard breaking techniques in their forms.

:spanky:
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 4/25/2007 2:45pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol Ronin. They already do that. But in all honesty the 4th picture I posted from the top is a position I end up in a lot. Not always gripping up at the gi (because I train no-gi often), but still the position is quite necessary to keep your base.

Bell2Bell, I see what you mean, and yeah sinking into an unecessariy low low stance in the example I used isn't exactly doing yourself any favors. I often change my posture in that stance moment to moment as my opponent fights to off-balance me, or pull me back into guard, so sometimes I'm riding high, sometimes low, sometimes my weight is seated foward onto one leg to press their leg in to pass, sometimes not. But I found it interesting when Matt was teaching us the range in general, and he seated into a perfect horse stance (perhaps not low with butt at knee level but still deep and rooted), and kept his opponents open guard stacked and held open.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyukido, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KempoFist:

Seconded. I wrestled varsity in Highschool, and a really low square stance is a lot like a horse stance. It's not a bad defensive posture in a clench for that short instant when you are actively fighting a particular throw. I take Judo know in addition to a couple of striking deals, and I find that getting a low square stance when you're stuck in gaurd gives you a good place to work from (but that's just me, I'm sure everyone is different).

I can't imagine trying to... ya know, like, do anything productive from a horse stance in any situation prior to the clench, though.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    4/26/2007 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also can't imagine how sitting in a horse stance for any reason other than conditioning would be useful either. Throwing chambered punches from there only builds bad habits, and the idea that it "exaggerates" the concept of using your hips is bunk. I can't think of a more limiting way to stand to NOT use your hips properly than a horse stance.

Train how you fight. Use the stance when you need it, stand up and keep your hands up, elbows in, and chin tucked when striking.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 6:18am

Style: Muay Thai / Tae Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only used horse stance for leg strengthening. Using it in an actual fight situation? I suggest you invest in a firearm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 6:34am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a low horse stance in the Water Closet.

Here, hold these for me.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 6:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. One often uses the horse stance when
    one is dropping the kids off at the pool.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 9:01am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    ...the idea that it "exaggerates" the concept of using your hips is bunk.

I agree with everything you just said except this. The hip movement comes when you transtion from horse stance to bow and arrow stance. This requires a big hip motion and because of the way you're rooted you can generate a fair amount of power by getting your legs into it. I think it's a very slow, impractical and clumbsy way to go about it but it does illustrate how to use your legs and hips when you strike. If you want to learn how to hit hard you're way better off working a heavy bag but at least in that the drills do make sense.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 10:28am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also use it as a stretching exercise to build up the side splits. You would go wider and wider, while trying to maintain the stance.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast