Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:32pm

Style: undecided

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defending the Horse Stance

I've heard the Horse Stance get knocked a bit for being too immobile/impractical for realistic fight situations. Obviously it has its limitations, But it can provide great stability and is actually quite versatile during in-fighting situations. I realize its just not really incorporated into Boxing or Muay Thai footwork , but was wondering if anyone had any positive feedback about it. Non-traditional sports styles are welcome to comment.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Horse stance is good for keeping a base in grappling when postured outside the open guard. In stand-up striking terms it's useless.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ggboxer
    I've heard the Horse Stance get knocked a bit for being too immobile/impractical for realistic fight situations. Obviously it has its limitations, But it can provide great stability and is actually quite versatile during in-fighting situations. I realize its just not really incorporated into Boxing or Muay Thai footwork , but was wondering if anyone had any positive feedback about it. Non-traditional sports styles are welcome to comment.
    Explain.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:39pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GG, darling. The Horse stance is a training tool, not a combative stance. It may have uses in combat, but I'm sure you could find uses for anything in combat. But there are vastly better ways to go about it. Not to mention it is TERRIBLE for your hips and knees.

As for in-fighting a low immobile stance is not where you want to be, a higher, athletic, mobile posture that allows you to quickly move and adapt is infinitely superior. This discussion can now be considered closed.

Horse stance sucks.

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um....did you all miss my response? I understand GG is trolling for responses, and that he is referring to standup useages, but the stance itself does come in handy when trying to keep you posture in bull-fighting range.
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:54pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the years I spent on kung fu no one ever suggested that it was a good idea to fight from horse stance. It's used for conditioning, and it's also used to illustrate (in an exagerated way) how to use your hips and legs to generate power, not as something to use in a fight.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't feed the troll

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 1:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Um....did you all miss my response? I understand GG is trolling for responses, and that he is referring to standup useages, but the stance itself does come in handy when trying to keep you posture in bull-fighting range.

Honestly a good low horse stance would be very awkward to grapple from. I know a lot of styles have high comfortable horse stances but the style of kung fu I practiced put a lot of emphasis on traditional stances and my understanding is that it's supposed to be just about as low as you can make it.

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 2:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    Honestly a good low horse stance would be very awkward to grapple from. I know a lot of styles have high comfortable horse stances but the style of kung fu I practiced put a lot of emphasis on traditional stances and my understanding is that it's supposed to be just about as low as you can make it.
    I use it all the time when outside the open guard. Posturing yourself angled off 45degrees or so to prevent them from scooping your ankles and reversing, allows you to work for a solid pass to side control. Also very useful for standing guard passes.

~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2007 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I use it all the time when outside the open guard. Posturing yourself angled off 45degrees or so to prevent them from scooping your ankles and reversing, allows you to work for a solid pass to side control. Also very useful for standing guard passes.

Your pictures just explained why we're disagreeing. What you're posting is a very high horse stance... sort of. My experience was with a school that was obsessed with low stances though, so that guy would have to bend his knees and sink much lower for it to be what we were doing. This is a nit-picky sort of complaint though; the only thing I ever use horse stance for now is as a warm up and I only do that when I get bored of the other excercises I use.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast