• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 5:51pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cable Rows, straight or articulated back?

I've been seeing lots of differing opinions on whether cable rows should be done with a straight back, or articulation. Exrx.net has a bit of an article on it here http://www.exrx.net/Questions/Danger...anchor14141713 wherein they say that it is safer to do them with articulation, but just about everything else I can find says exactly opposite.

At physical therapy I've been doing straight back on a physio ball, so I'd assume they're safe to keep doing, but since I also need to hit the lower back if I could safely intergrate it and save some time it would be nice. So what are your experiences with the two, or opinions on the matter?

If anyone has good detailed instructions (or links to) for either they would be much appreciated.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the position taken at exrx.net is to use the full range of motion of an articulation, which is a good thing.

If I'm understanding their position correctly, they are not saying using an articulated back is safer than using a straight back. Instead, they claim an articulated back is not dangerous as others claim.

The whole contention of those who prefer an straight back is than articulated back is dangerous, which exrx.net disagrees. It is not dangerous provided one does not go beyond the range of motion his flexibility allows AND one does not have a fucked up or inflexible lower back.

Furthermore, exrx says that if you don't use a full range of motion (as in a straight back), your muscles and ligaments on the lower back will lose the ability to operate under articulation (use it or lose it.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 12:44am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, much thanks El Macho for that clarification. My lower back is overly flexible is that direction, so it might be best for me to keep with the straight back. I don't know if it qualifies as "fucked up" but if I understand exrx.net, then I might be putting myself at slightly more risk that way, since I don't feel any stretch from bending my back in that ROM. I'd think that as long as I supplement that range of motion with something safer for my body, then I won't be "losing it".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 3:05am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find the thread i made on round back deadlifts too (Zerchers) there's some useful info in there

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Yeah, he's right. I completely forgot about that thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55898
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    6/23/2007 10:43am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually ran into a program with cable rows [and pulldowns] where I was trying to keep a straight back so I adducted by scapulas throughout the entire exercise. It was a bad thing.

After discussing it with several ACSM / CSCS folks, I've come to the conclusion to do cable rows both ways - sometimes with a flat back, other times with an articulated back. I've been happy with teh results.